Umm, how to carry a small kit/equipment bag without it looking like a purse?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so in addition to my small lunch cooler, when I go to work I also carry my digital camera and a small first aid kit. I've been using a Target plastic shopping bag (!) to carry these and occasional extras (gloves, hat, etc) just as a way to throw it all together to carry from my car to my desk. This works okay enough for my purposes but as you can imagine it's not ideal.

I started looking around for various small cargo/kit bags or pouches that I could carry my daily items in that would be more durable and serviceable than a grocery bag...

There's a lot of nice stuff out there (and expensive!!), but I was looking at a bag from 5.11 with handles and it suddenly occurred to me that it looked like a purse! Okay, maybe not exactly, but enough like one that I'd be embarrassed to carry it around.

So, I've been looking around trying to find something that could hold my pocket camera and first aid stuff, small enough to easily tote, and something that will NOT cause my co-workers to make fun of me for carrying a purse! :shakehead (because they WOULD, and I'd NEVER hear the end of it!!)

My first attempt last night was to order a Condor T&T pouch because if nothing else it should be big enough to carry my M&P 9c or 45c even, so I could always use it as a pistol bag if nothing else.

What have you guys been using that works well?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, but when that's not enough I use this small single strap backpack. It's real cheap and very durable. I even have an extra one pre-loaded to go lie down on the beach near here. I'm sure you can find something just like it locally at your outdoors store.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a small tool bag from Home Depot or Lowes. Most of them have a single center area which zippers closed, and a number of outside pockets.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small duffel bag may work. Guys bring gym clothes and stuff to work so that probably wouldn't draw much attention.

Cargo pants are a no-go for work, and in any case I wouldn't necessarily want to load up all that stuff on my person.

wavicle

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the duffle bag.

Make it a hunting gear camouflage duffle and they won't even see it :D

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Maratac Extreme EOD utility bag amongst others and would happily carry something like the 5.11 Tactical small kit tool bag. A 'purse' or 'handbag' is just a bag, and despite the similarities of having compartments and handles/strap I have never thought any of these as looking like a 'purse', nor would I worry about this. In many ways these bags are simply 'man-bags' as men need to carry stuff too.

Pick something you like and stop worrying about it.

JoeAsheville

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the cargo pants. I carry the heavy items in a belt pouch close to my cg. No need for a man purse.

markr6

Flashaholic
I could never swing the cargo pant things. Anything over a few ounces banging back and forth with every step. I looked at a 5.11 bag at Gander Mountain last night but didn't like it. I'm looking for a similar bag; not necessarily to carry but just for some organization when traveling. The size of a cheap toiletry bag would work but I haven't found one with enough small separate pockets yet.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
you have a desk.. leave some things there. (like f.a.k could be there always. another one should be in the car anyways) and spare and hat gloves etc could be there aswell. and if can fit a lockable box to the desk area and if there is not high likely of thieves taking it you could leave the digicam there too. (just remove the memory card.. camera can be replaced photos not so easily.)

desk means office environment.. so a shoulderbag made for computers wouldnt look out of place there. just pick one with separate compartments and lunchbox that fits inside. (i know my sister has used computer bag instead of her normal purse sometimes :D )

i carry a bag with me to work.. maxpedition versipak mongo.. not easily confused to a "purse" because of styling etc. and chose it because it had the space for all my needed things ..tools and pocketpouch, lunch, bottle, fak, notepad and papers, gloves etc. (and ..well.. i dont care what others think even if they would think it as redundant and purse.. all i need to know that i have things that might need and i have them packed there..)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the replies got me thinking: standard briefcase. I read somewhere that men who look more business like tend to get more promotions. Dunno how truthful it is, though...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
All the replies got me thinking: standard briefcase.
That was my very first thought. :D
Some of the larger ones overdo it, but I use a nice slim brown leather one, timeless style and pretty classy.
~10 years and going strong, I've only needed a new carrying handle put on a few years back.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
To tidy my edc things I take to work I went into a good sports shop here in the UK on Sunday and bought 2 very good bags, inexpensive as well but the small one I use as my edc stuff I need for work and a matching larger bag which now contains my catalogues and essential work related documents.

To give you an idea just have a look at Sports Direct .Com.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was my very first thought. :D
Some of the larger ones overdo it, but I use a nice slim brown leather one, timeless style and pretty classy.
~10 years and going strong, I've only needed a new carrying handle put on a few years back.

They are durable, but I never could bring myself to carry a briefcase, though... looks funny when you wear cargo pants or shorts :D They do tend not to attract attention as people usually think only normal paperwork is to be found inside and they're hard to steal from without being seen...

To tidy my edc things I take to work I went into a good sports shop here in the UK on Sunday and bought 2 very good bags, inexpensive as well but the small one I use as my edc stuff I need for work and a matching larger bag which now contains my catalogues and essential work related documents.

To give you an idea just have a look at Sports Direct .Com.

Not sure if that's what you mean, but when your bag doesn't have enough compartments, carrying a smaller pouch sized one or more to put in the larger bag always does the trick for me. The plus is you can even go as far as color coding the purpose of each smaller bag/pouch and it's real cheap; pencil cases can often do the trick.