Foursevens Maelstrom MMU-X3 vs MMU-X - increased runtime AND output?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for a light that can run on some of my 26650s. And it looks like the Foursevens Maelstrom MMU series lights are perhaps some of the best choices out there. They're certainly not the cheapest. But they look like quality lights. And with a 3V cutoff, it looks like I won't be chained to 3.7V Li-Ion batteries. But one thing confuses me. The Maelstrom MMU-X produces 640 lumens for 2hrs on 3900mAH. Judging by the runtime I get from 4000mAH Tenergy Centura C cells in NiMH lights of similar brightness, this sounds about right. But then the MMU-X3 is somehow able to produce 1600 lumens from its triple emitters for 2.5 hours. Is this a misprint? Or is there a stepdown that Foursevens is failing to mention that is responsible for this increased runtime? And if there IS a stepdown, do you know what it's stepping down to? The MMU-X3 seems like a good choice on paper with its higher output, triple emitters, and price tag that is no higher then the MMU-X. But is the MMU-X actually able to sustain a higher output over the long haul (as runtime figures suggest)?

Last edited: