Some advice?

Mastro

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I've read some threads, but there are so many with different models of headlights that I can't get my head around it.
I've recently started working in a place with high explosion risk and am looking for a headlight (as those provided are as powerful as moonlight). I'd need something durable (so the cost doesn't really matter as long as it's something that will last long). It needs to be up to ATEX standards obviously.
Advice? I found this website: ecom-ex.co.uk but I don't know much about their products... Or if you can give me some links would be much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know about ATEX standards but so 18650 headlamp from Zebralight is the way to go. H600 or H602 depending on if you want a traditional beam (hotspot and spill) or a pure flood beam.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATEX_directive

Effective ignition source is a term defined in the European ATEX directive as an event which, in combination with sufficient oxygen and fuel in gas, mist, vapor or dust form, can cause an explosion. Methane, hydrogen or coal dust are examples of possible fuels.[3]

Effective ignition sources are:

Lightning strikes.

Open flames. This varies from a lit cigarette to welding activity.

Mechanically generated impact sparks. For example, a hammer blow on a rusty steel surface compared to a hammer blow on a flint stone. The speed and impact angle (between surface and hammer) are important; a 90 degree blow on a surface is relatively harmless.

Mechanically generated friction sparks. The combination of materials and speed determine the effectiveness of the ignition source. For example 4.5 m/s steel-steel friction with a force greater than 2 kN is an effective ignition source. The combination of aluminium and rust is also notoriously dangerous. More than one red hot spark is often necessary in order to have an effective ignition source.

Electric sparks. For example a bad electrical connection or a faulty pressure transmitter. The electric energy content of the spark determines the effectiveness of the ignition source.

High surface temperature. This can be the result of milling, grinding, rubbing, mechanical friction in a stuffing box or bearing, or a hot liquid pumped into a vessel. For example the tip of a lathe cutting tool can easily be 600 Celsius (1100 °F); a high pressure steam pipe may be above the autoignition temperature of some fuel/air mixtures.

Electrostatic discharge. Static electricity can be generated by air sliding over a wing, or a non-conductive liquid flowing through a filter screen.

Radiation.

Adiabatic compression. Air is pumped into a vessel and the vessel surface heats up.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it seems like most flashlights & headlamps are going to fit ATEX standards, so long as you're not using an ARC/HID light or one that runs crazy hot (like a direct drive P60 drop in, for example).

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it seems like most flashlights & headlamps are going to fit ATEX standards, so long as you're not using an ARC/HID light or one that runs crazy hot (like a direct drive P60 drop in, for example).

I agree with Cland, I can't see any headlamp being an issue or pretty much any handheld LED light.

The Zebralights I mentioned have thermal regulation and back off the brightness when they get too hot so they'll never even get to hot to touch, much less anywhere close enough for ignition.

rojos

Enlightened
The OP might want to look at the Petzl PIXA range of headlamps. They are on the expensive side, and aren't the brightest lights in the world. But they should be durable, brighter than the ones your work provides, and are ATEX certified.

Zebralights are not ATEX certified. While it's possible that Zebralights are capable of meeting ATEX standards, they most likely haven't gone through the certification procedure, and that could raise a work place liability issue. Your work probably would not allow them.

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP might want to look at the Petzl PIXA range of headlamp. They are on the expensive side, and aren't the brightest lights in the world. But they should be durable, be brighter than the ones your work provides, and they are ATEX certified.

Zebralight's are not ATEX certified. While it's possible that Zebralight may be capable of meeting ATEX standards, it most likely hasn't gone through the certification procedure, and so there might be a work place liability issue involved. Your work probably would not allow it.

My bad, had never heard of that certification.

PETZL it is I reckon.

dss_777

Enlightened
Search for "intrinsically safe" headlamps for other options. that's the US equivalent of ATEX, I think.

Streamlight makes one IS and ATEX certified headlamp. You'd have to verify any other brand of IS lights are also ATEX certified, but that shouldn't be hard. Petzl is always a good choice, IMO.

Just note that the IS/ATEX lights are always less capable in terms of output than comparable non-IS lights. Not as bright or cutting edge in tech, but at least they won't cause you to blow up. That's a plus! :)

Last edited: