SRT7 reliability

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
I have just ordered a SRT7 and am now wondering if I've done the right thing!:confused:

Having just joined the forum - Hello! - I have been having a look at some of the posts about the SRT7 and am now feeling a little less excited and a bit more concerned about my incoming purchase. :(

All the reviews that I had seen previously were glowing and saying how it was the best thing since the last best thing. Now, however, I see that people have been having issues with it.

The things that drew me to it included the reasonable output, the coloured LEDs, and various other features - hey, who doesn't want a toy with lots of gizmos?! :D

So, should I return it as soon as it arrives and get something else, or should I put the concerns out of my head and relax?

If return - what else would people suggest? Is there anything with multi-colour output and reasonable power output, and maybe a few other features? Budget would be circa £100 - £150 for something suitable if it was going to be reliable in the longer term.

Thanks.

y260

Enlightened
Relax! Just enjoy your new light. The SRT7 is still fairly unmatched with all of it's features. It is a medium-sized light so if you're trying to EDC it, it may not be perfect. But if that's the only thing I can complain about - it's a good light.

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
I'm not too concerned about its size - in general, I like big stuff! :D

I'm just concerned about reliability. As I'm new to what might be termed as 'fancy' torches, I was hoping to get something solid and reliable, with lots of toys on top! I like stuff that works and keeps on working.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ChrisEdu :welcome:

As y260 mentioned, just enjoy the light and don't worry too much. There are a ton of 18650 lights out there and each have their own unique pros and cons. One of the things I love about the SRT7 is the control ring UI. I've dropped mine a couple of times with no ill effects apart from a few dings and scrapes. I haven't had anything to complain about with my SRT7. If you want "a toy with lots of gizmos", you're going to like it. If you need a higher output for specific colours, you could look at the NiteCore Chameleon series or EagleTac's D25LC2 Color. Have fun!

ven

Flashaholic
Bare in mind,peeps have issues with all lights,they post on here so sometimes it can look out of proportion,bit like car forums......my head gasket this,my drive shaft that............no one would ever buy a car.

Same with dedicated flashlight forums,any issues get posted,for every 1 issue there will be 1000s trouble free.........enjoy it,worse case send it back if it breaks;)

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
Don't get me started on car forums and issues - my Mercedes must be the most unreliable heap of junk out there! oh! Hang on - it is! :( :D

I'm already considering another purchase though - an Armytek Predator, just because I like the gold trim and it's Canadian! :D (I have Canadian citizenship!) Plus, they sound like they are well built but not the same money as Surefire (or am I mistaken?).

NorthernStar

Enlightened
My SRT7 Has performed flawless during the whole time since i baught it in July 2013 and i have used it well and truly ever since. Don´t worry,give the SRT7 a chance. This is an outstanding light!:)

MiataTrySlide92

Newly Enlightened
I bought the SRT3 first and that has seen some rough action. The worst being bouncing down a flight of 20 or so stairs. I haven't abused the SRT7 too much but it should stand up to some good abuse. You can find videos on youtube where they take it diving and also subject it to pressure tests and it passes with flying colors. Maybe not an Elzetta in the ability to hammer nails but it should be able to stand up to any abuse you my throw at it. Regarding the Armytek Predator, the build quality is as good as they say it is. The thing is very solid and feels great in your hand. Just be careful, this addiction is expensive. I have a TM26 coming tomorrow as well :whistle:

ven

Flashaholic
Don't get me started on car forums and issues - my Mercedes must be the most unreliable heap of junk out there! oh! Hang on - it is! :( :D

I'm already considering another purchase though - an Armytek Predator, just because I like the gold trim and it's Canadian! :D (I have Canadian citizenship!) Plus, they sound like they are well built but not the same money as Surefire (or am I mistaken?).

Sorry to dissapoint but they are built in china:shakehead

wjv

Enlightened
Sorry to dissapoint but they are built in china:shakehead

1) Most lights (but not all) made today are manufactured in Asia, but ArmyTek is a Canadian company.

2) Made in China does not = crud. I have an ArmyTek Predator and it is of superb quality.

China will manufacture to your specifications and to your QC standards. It's all a matter as to how much you wish to pay to have your designs manufactured in a robust manner with good QC. Pay the factory $2.50 a light, you get garbage. Pay the factory $7.50 a light, you get a better light. Just like any where else, quality costs.

China just landed a robot on the moon. They have the manufacturing capability to turn out high tech quality products. It's up to the manufacturer to decide the level of quality they are willing to pay for.

Look at Vizio TVs. they are now one of the best selling TV in the USA. CNET typically rates Vizio TVs at 4 out of 5 stars. Consumer Reports now recommends a number of them, stating that their picture quality is "very good." Vizio is a 100 person, American company, with all of their manufacturing taking place in Asia.

den331

Newly Enlightened
i'm also worried when i bought my SRT7 this month on E bay while waiting saw many negative feedback of the srt7 on this forum.. now just got my SRT 7 it works flawless
no defects at all. almost same quality with my fenix. by the way this is my first nitecore product .all i can say is. this is the bang for your Buck light:D

Last edited:

buds224

Enlightened
Receive a lemon, return that lemon. Receive a working product, keep the working product because you had your reasons for buying it in the first place. :D

Last edited:

Lun@ticFringe

Newly Enlightened
I've had my SRT7 for six months with daily use as a correctional officer, I have had nothing but enjoyment out of it. Mostly used in a very low setting for paperwork in the early morning or full blast for cell inspection and signaling the control picket (small windowed room about 60 feet from the cells that has an officer that controls doors, lights etc.). Overall it is an extremely flexible light and very durable, the only thing I would change on it would be the flat bezel...would prefer something more aggressive that would enable light to be seen when it is placed head down.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) gimmicky color LEDs, too weak

2) cheap driver, doesn't achieve advertised lumens when using 18650 (typical of nitecore)

3) cheap plastic grip ring (typical of nitecore)

magnetic ring has lots of detents, rather cluttered, but works well

but the product still produces light so it' still a fully functional flashlight

there, the most honest overview of the SRT7 on the web :D

buds224

Enlightened
1) gimmicky color LEDs, too weak

2) cheap driver, doesn't achieve advertised lumens when using 18650 (typical of nitecore)

3) cheap plastic grip ring (typical of nitecore)

magnetic ring has lots of detents, rather cluttered, but works well

but the product still produces light so it' still a fully functional flashlight

there, the most honest overview of the SRT7 on the web :D

So back to the question....how's the reliability of yours?

ven

Flashaholic
1) Most lights (but not all) made today are manufactured in Asia, but ArmyTek is a Canadian company.

2) Made in China does not = crud. I have an ArmyTek Predator and it is of superb quality.

Hi there wjv,maybe my:shakehead gave the wrong impression that made in china stuff is junk.......well i am the opposite as pretty much everything is made there and agree fully on the QC side of things.My fenix/nitecore to name just 2 are made there and are excellent,i also import from china too.......

To add further i will be adding to my collection with an AT light when the new ones start to be available as always loved the quality/value of the brand.The head shake :shakeheadwas for its not made in canada as its interpreted in their adverts thats all:D certainly nothing against AT at all,just the slightly misleading advertising........but i guess you could add most other brands for that as its marketing that sells lights.
:thumbsup:

Charles L.

Enlightened
Don't have an SRT7 but love my SRT3. Red LED is admittedly weak, but works for my intended uses (which consist primarily of looking for desk-top items and reviewing papers without waking my wife or tripping over the pets). Magnetic ring works quite well indeed -- in fact, the ring (plus the red LED and extremely low moonlight abilities) are the reasons I reach for this light instead of my Olight S-20.