Can E series SF tail cap be fixed ?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a E series SF tail cap where the spring just fell off. All i am seeing now is a flat round piece of metal and the spring. It does not look like it can go back ? Any input appreciated.
penu9a9u.jpg

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spring on latest revision (B) on switch as you have is not soldered to the switch itself but "wrapped" around that flat disk you see... just put the end of the spring so it goes below the disk and work (carefully) your way around until at least one circle is underneath the disk - it will remain on it as part of the switch as it's supposed to be...

It could be that the spring "unscrew" itself from the switch during screwing/unscrewing tailcap to the body... I just now removed then returned the spring on it w/o any issues... but again, careful, I have no idea how well the disk is attached to the rest of the parts in the switch...

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Surefire does have a good reputation for warranty/customer service, and the few Surefire switches I have had go bad have been quickly replaced by Surefire. Call them if you are unable to get it back together and/or are unsure about it staying together.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see. Thanks for the advice. I will try to put it back. I will also try to solder. I would guess if i don't it will come out again. It started acting flakey it would go Low or High only not Low/High. I have few older E series like E2E never had this problem. I wonder why SF changed the design, reliability or financial reason.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't much about this switch, but my one observation is that if you solder it, it may void the warranty. You might want to call them (they can be slow answering their e-mails).

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Tana is spot on. The spring just twists back around the flat washer extension. You wont need to solder anything. The only thing I might add is look at the end of the spring and see if it became bent or distorted/broken.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reasons for revisions of Surefire clicky switches was always reliability... the previous clickies were harder to press with not so tactile feel and reliability was not their good side - I went thru a lot of Surefire e-series clickies in previous year and never got this revised version that was dead but I have like 3-4 of older ones that are not functioning...

But one thing about even revised ones is that when you take some modern module and screw on e-series head, sometimes the light flicker when you slowly press on tailcap until it clicks... this may result in harder to control multi-mode custom builds... this is the reason why I pretty much recommend installing McClicky switch in tailcap as it's more reliable plus it can withstand more current and provides less resistance - both needed for brighter setups...

However, once you put that spring on the flat washer extension (thanks m4a1usr) and if you have issues controlling Surefire multimode setups - their CS will help you out for sure with replacement... US or international...

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did put the spring back on. It staying there now. However the Low and High are still flaky. I then used the tail cap from a E2E and Low/High works perfect. I looked closer it has a different design. I will not trust this tail cap going forward. (it may come lose again in the future) Like I said it started working randomly, Low or High only. That is why I unscrewed the tail cap, when I did it fell off. With the E series there is no need to unscrew the tail cap as the batteries are loaded up front. I will put just a touch of solder between the flat washer and the spring, so it won't come off. I can't think of any other solution, unless maybe use another spring. Thanks again for input.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tana. I never needed Mccliky but looks like I do now. I see this part number at Lighthound: DMMCC is this what I need as a direct drop in replacement for the E series ?

Also see Promotheus Lights has them, are these for the E series direct drop in ?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Thanks Tana. I never needed Mccliky but looks like I do now. I see this part number at Lighthound: DMMCC is this what I need as a direct drop in replacement for the E series ?

Also see Promotheus Lights has them, are these for the E series direct drop in ?

The McClicky switch was designed for the original E twisty cap. E clicky caps are a bit different and require a Z57/Z61 modified McClicky switch.