Reflector texture effect?

N/Apower

Enlightened
I have 2 lights. One seems brighter than the other when I shine them outside. I would say the difference is about 25 lumens to my eyes (Yes, I can see that difference, in the field, verified by an IS test Mr G Man performed on 2 identical lights I had some time ago).

This difference, I cannot tell in the spill really, but in the hotspot, I can see it. It appears about 20-30 lumens dimmer on the light with VERY LIGHT orange-peal. The other light, identical, except having orange peal so light that the reflector just looks "a bit wavy", is the "brighter".

Could a very slight variation in reflector texture result in this level of difference in hotspot intensity/throw/apparent brightness? The "dimmer" of the two also seems to be a few hundred degrees cooler, but I am not sure if that is a function of the LUX on target, or not, as the spill is the same tint to my eyes, and of course there is variance between pills of the same roll, etc. Just curious if reflector texture can equate to 25-30 lumens or so in a 250 OTF lumen light difference in hot-spots at 25-50 yards outdoors.

Here is a picture of the respective lights:
mmr9rs.jpg

Etsu

Enlightened
Differences in the reflector texture will certainly affect the lux of the hot spot area on a target. It won't affect the overall lumen output of the light, though.

N/Apower

Enlightened
The only way to tell would be to swap reflectors to reduce variation between LEDs, drivers, state of charge...

I have 4 of these lights, and every single one of them was made by Gene Malkoff from the same roll of LED's. This is the only one with different reflector, which I can see a difference in. I fully agree with you, but swapping reflectors is not possible at this point in the lights life (assembly). It was a curiosity, and it seems that this can indeed affect it.