LIFE IS TOO SHORT !!!

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every now and then, I fantasize about how life would be if our mortal timespan would not be an issue.

We all have our hobbies, but real life gets in the way. There's only 24 hours in a day, but you have to sleep, brush your teeth, kiss your significant other, get in & out of your clothes, work (most of us anyway, I presume), travel from A to B and back in order to work, buy groceries, cook, eat, relax a bit, watch the news, do some laundry, feed the cat, check your (e-)mail, visit CPF, make some phone calls, fix that flat tyre, etc, etc, etc, before the next day begins. Not every single one of those every day, but enough tasks every day to keep you busy. If you are busy, that is - fewer tasks completed if you're a lazy #@%$!&.

All of those tasks take time. Which leaves only a very limited time for our hobbies. :(

There's stuff you want to do. Finish hobby projects X, Y and Z. Do that skydive. Learn Chinese. Build that hotrod from scratch. Build your own climate-neutral home. Sort through those ~7 billion inhabitants of this planet to figure out which of those you want @ your side for the rest of your life. Go travel to many different countries. There's only ~200 of those or so, so spend a week in each country and you'll need just ~4 years or so to visit every country in this world once (hey, that actually sounds doable! :laughing: ).

As we all know, time = money. Grow 1 fruit every day (more than you need to feed yourself), sell it, and given enough time, you'll be rich enough to do anything you want. Think "Highlander": a few centuries more in which to aquire knowledge, skills, possessions, to be financial secure, etc.

Cut that short, and you'll miss out. Because disease gets you. Because a bus hits you while you were planning your next business trip. Because some robber doesn't have time, takes a shortcut, and shoots you dead. Because getting a decent education takes 10+ years (starting at age 4 or so if you're lucky), so you'll be a young adult before anything gets done.

Bottom line: life is too short! It would be better if it were longer (well that's debatable tbh, at least in the greater scheme of things).
No this is not a question. Yes I am under the influence as I write this - on my 3rd glass of port, fyi. Yet I am totally serious. :wtf:

Discuss!!

Last edited by a moderator:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A fun read if you really want to take this to its conclusions - In 2019, "The Cure" is found, a drug that simply stops the aging process at the time it is administered. It's only legal in four countries, but it's on the black market for those who have the means. Those who take it will not die of old age, will never get older, will remain as they are today forever until a non-natural death, perhaps centuries away.. Laws must be changed, what is to become of marriage, the Church weighs in, and then there's the story of the woman who gave it to her child..

ibkCOod3Jgu8r1.jpg

Life is too short? Nonsense! You've been given a lifetime to spend however you choose. Learn to plan, and prioritize. As you pass into your late 50's ~ early 60's I'm sure you'll realize, life is just long enough, and it's just short enough.

It's been said, "You can judge a persons intelligence by how far into their future their able to envision."

I hope this helps,

~ Chance

Capolini

Banned
Who cares what your drinking! I think ALCOHOL has affected your thinking!! :)

LIVE IN THE MOMENT,,,,,APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE AND STOP ANALYZING EVERY MICRO SECOND OF LIFE!!

*** NOT INTENDED TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS!

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh come on...

Yes I appreciate whatever time I have - very much so. One reason why I have a low tolerance for people that waste other people's time for no good reason. This was purely a "what if..." thingie.

What would you do with all that extra time, knowing you'd (probably) have a few centuries more? How would life be different? Would you still -roughly- do the things you do, or take a radically different approach? What could you do, that's not possible in the live(s) we have now? You guys have no imagination... :laughing:

Last edited:

Lawrence61

Newly Enlightened
Life is not too short, it is the right time for each and everyone of us. You can make your life too complex, aim to achieve the unachievable, be driven by peer pressure or you can aim for a simple life surrounded by the people that are important to you with the realisation that this is it, your one and only chance to be happy :wave:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Life is boring and routine. People you meet in general tend to be dim-witted, petty, selfish, obsessed with money, pretentious, arrogant, delusional, obnoxious, etc.

Sometimes all of the above. (Those are the really "classy' ones.)

Life being too short.... even if true.... Is that really a bad thing? Seriously now.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Life is boring and routine. People you meet in general tend to be dim-witted, petty, selfish, obsessed with money, pretentious, arrogant, delusional, obnoxious, etc.

Sometimes all of the above. (Those are the really "classy' ones.)

Life being too short.... even if true.... Is that really a bad thing? Seriously now.

Here's something to think about...without the things the op mentioned "getting in the way", would life be worth the living? Even with the inconveniences (human experiences) removed, we would find something else to unappreciate.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Life may not be too short, but too much of it is wasted. Almost half a day wasted by work, being there, getting there, leaving it, getting ready for it. Then sleep. That's up to 20 hours out of our 24 hour day right there.
That idiot in line at the store who for whatever reason can't remember his PIN is not just taking up time, he's wasting part of your life.
Most people end up putting life off until they retire... when they might not be in the condition to do some of the things they want to. There's a reason you don't see too many 70 year old mountain climbers, and when someone who is 74 does their first skydive it's in the news.
And that assumes you even make it there. Not everyone does.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here's something to think about...without the things the op mentioned "getting in the way", would life be worth the living? Even with the inconveniences (human experiences) removed, we would find something else to unappreciate.

Have thought about it. Honestly, no joking at all.... I haven't met a single human-being even remotely worth knowing, in about 5 years. (And that's not some random number I pulled out of thin air. Met that individual while Best Man at my best friend's wedding which took place 5 years ago.) About a year ago, I thought I met someone worth knowing. But apparently he turned out to be a piece of $#!%. One of those charming ones who can fool even those who are rather guarded in regards to whom they trust. He fooled me.

Honestly?.... I'd be extremely appreciative to meet someone new in real Life who was actually worth knowing. Someone who gave a damn about something other than themselves or just money. But apparently, I'm the weirdo for hoping to find someone who isn't "average." Like someone trying to drown a duck by tossing it into a body of water. It's a duck.... It's silly to expect to kill a duck in such a manner. Maybe I'm being silly with my expectations for meeting someone who isn't the average human-being.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to move house...

I hated where I was 10 years ago.

Then I moved away, met a girl, got a good job with a 2 minute commute (I mean that literally, I've timed it) am married with two great kids and even have all the material possessions I desire (although a bigger turbo for my car remains on the wish list, never to be fulfilled!)

I appreciate every day what I have, because there was a time when I had no friends, no girlfriend, a crap car and was in 5 figures of debt.

I don't consider my time spent at work wasted. I enjoy my work. Yes there are people out there who's only purpose in life, it would seem, is to suck the enjoyment out of yours, but at some point you have to remove yourself from them and find better people. Regardless of how it may appear, there are always better people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greta

Flashaholic
Have thought about it. Honestly, no joking at all.... I haven't met a single human-being even remotely worth knowing, in about 5 years. (And that's not some random number I pulled out of thin air. Met that individual while Best Man at my best friend's wedding which took place 5 years ago.) About a year ago, I thought I met someone worth knowing. But apparently he turned out to be a piece of $#!%. One of those charming ones who can fool even those who are rather guarded in regards to whom they trust. He fooled me.

Honestly?.... I'd be extremely appreciative to meet someone new in real Life who was actually worth knowing. Someone who gave a damn about something other than themselves or just money. But apparently, I'm the weirdo for hoping to find someone who isn't "average." Like someone trying to drown a duck by tossing it into a body of water. It's a duck.... It's silly to expect to kill a duck in such a manner. Maybe I'm being silly with my expectations for meeting someone who isn't the average human-being.

Perhaps it's not all of "them"... it's you. Just a thought... ;)

Personally, I agree with the premise of this thread -"Life is too short". It annoys the snot outta me when people obsess or worry over things that in the end are really rather meaningless. For example... life is too short to spend so much time and energy obsessing over the forum time clock being "two hours off". Seriously... dude(s)... get over it. Move on. Life's too short.

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Life may not be too short, but too much of it is wasted. Almost half a day wasted by work, being there, getting there, leaving it, getting ready for it. Then sleep. That's up to 20 hours out of our 24 hour day right there.
That's the problem right there. If we had 100 years to do as we wish then life might not seem so short.

Most people end up putting life off until they retire... when they might not be in the condition to do some of the things they want to. There's a reason you don't see too many 70 year old mountain climbers, and when someone who is 74 does their first skydive it's in the news.
And that assumes you even make it there. Not everyone does.
That's one of the reasons I think people should be "retired" from 18 to about 65, and then just work until they keel over, instead of the reverse. Most people waste their best years doing something they hate with people they wouldn't otherwise want to associate with. That's the real tragedy. I actually hope there's a time when robots do all the drudge work of society freeing people to spend their entire lives doing creative or interesting pursuits. Even then, I might feel life is too short. It often takes a person 50, 60, 70 years before they really master a lot of things and also learn to deal effectively with life. It also typically takes that long to accumulate enough wealth to stop working. At the very least, it might be nice if we had 70 years of retirement after going to work/school for 70 years. I could personally deal with immortality if that ever became possible. There are always new things to try in life!

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic

Believe me, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm pretty down on the fact that there aren't a whole lot of people worth knowing in life. I do suspect though that's in large part because life is too short. People are so desperate to make every moment of effort worthwhile that they think nothing of screwing over fellow human beings if it benefits them. Look at how people drive, for example. I see all sorts of downright sociopathic behavior behind the wheel, and often it is just to gain one car length at the next red light, or to save 1 or 2 lousy seconds. I wonder if people would be so driven if they didn't have a finite amount of time.