maglite led 3aa

jjmarells

Newly Enlightened
I found a mag lite led 3 aa torch along the side of the road. Put new batts in and it works just fine. I was wondering if anybody knows what the lumen output is for this torch? All I can find, is that it is a 3 watt led.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Roughly 50 lumens. And it just uses resistors behind the LED, no regulation, so it dims notably over time like an incan Mag. Doesn't hold a candle to the $20, 225 lumen 2xAA MiniMag PRO at your local store, but could be a cool host..

Etsu

Enlightened
Roughly 50 lumens. And it just uses resistors behind the LED, no regulation, so it dims notably over time like an incan Mag. Doesn't hold a candle to the $20, 225 lumen 2xAA MiniMag PRO at your local store, but could be a cool host..

I find it a big improvement over the old 2xAA LED mini maglites. The 2xAA is regulated, but when the batteries get low it suddenly goes out. Very annoying!

jjmarells

Newly Enlightened

What do you mean cool host....?

Etsu

Enlightened

He means rip out the LED, and replace it with a better LED and driver of your choice. Some people like to do this with Maglites, because they're relatively easy to modify. Not my thing... I'd just buy the light I wanted, but customizing can be fun for some.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing about this light that makes it a particularly good host is the fact that it uses three cells. This means that, unlike the 2xAA lights, you are not limited by the fact that there are no high current 2xNiMH boost drivers available. You can build an XM-L light that actually drives the XM-L at more than .5-1A.