Nitrolon G2 vs. Streamlight TL-2

T

tpyo

Greetings,

I'm getting myself a new flashlight for Christmas. I've been looking at the Surefire Nitrolon G2 and Streamlight TL-2. The TL-2 supposedly outputs 100 lumens while the G2 outputs 65. The only other flashlight I own currently is a Minimag that runs on 2 AA batteries.

TL-2 Pros: 100 lumens, pocket clip, lanyard
TL-2 Cons: not a Surefire
G2 Pros : made by Surefire
G2 Cons : not as bright?, no clip, no lanyard

I would like to use either of these as a self-defense light to blind dogs/unpleasant people. Why is the Streamlight only ~$15 more expensive but supposedly much more bright? Which would you recommend? Thanks for reading

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well. i believe the G2 is more affordable.. and bright enough for the intended purpose.

it not being made my Surefire isn't really a con (you were being sarcastic right).

the G2 also can take interchangeable LED heads for longer runtime and broader beams..

i'd think you'd like the G2 unless you like the sound of the TL2's brightness..

*heads up*:
don't use the light to blind dogs.

Turt

Enlightened
They are both nice lights, but you should know that the lumens ratings can be um... exaggerated? The TL-2 may have a little more light but nothing you would really miss. The G2 beam quality will probably be a little better than TL-2. But the replacement bulbs for the G2 costs more... so... there ya go... If your only light so far is a mini mag you will be very happy with either one of these two lights. Enjoy and welcome to flashlight land!

paulr

Flashaholic
The TL2's lumen ratings are overstated. The lamps have similar efficiency so you can compare total output by comparing the battery runtime. With the stock G2 bulb, the TL2 has about the same runtime and same brightness. You can put a P61 lamp into the G2 and get about double the output but you go through a pair of batteries in 20 minutes. You could consider a TL3, which is like a TL2 but uses three cells and has a bigger reflector. It's supposed to be a real throw monster. Finally, this thing about using bright lights against attackers is seriously overrated. In an emergency you have to use whatever you can, and a light MIGHT do you some good, but it's inadvisable to make plans around it. If you really want a self-defense flashlight, get a Tigerlight with the built in pepper spray. And don't even count on THAT to dissuade a crazed enough nutcase.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tpyo,

Welcome to CPF.

This is going to be a tough choice. Both lights are similar in performance.

Does Santa understand that you are on the road to becoming a flashaholic? A true flashaholic would get both...

Tom

Size15's

Flashaholic
In that price range is also the Pelican M6 (aka PM6). You should consider it too.

In fact, I would consider it or the UKE-2L in that price range. I suggest the SureFire E2e as a first step into SureFires if you accept that getting the G2 will mean you end up getting more.

If I was starting out without any SureFires but knowing what I know now, I'd get the L4 and A2, then the G2Z, M3T, 10X and M6.

Where you start off depends on how good you feel you've been this year I guess, but certainly within the $30 range the Pelican and UKE-2L should also be considered.

Al

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SL Night Fighter which is pretty much a copy of the TL2, and I personally would prefer it from 2 stand points. 1-It carrries a spare bulb, 2-The beam can be focused. And 3, in a real world comparison I think it beats the it beats the output of the G2. Granted I have only compared these in a lighted environment at the store. Now if I had chose between the A2, and the TL2 it would be no contest at all.

jbroker83

Enlightened
tpyo, I own a couple of G2's and a TL-2. Here are the advantages I see between the two:

TL-2--a bit smaller, maybe more easy to conceal, clip for pocket attatchment, slightly brighter than the standard G2.
Tailcap switch is integral, so it can be placed on end, while the G2 can't.

G2--Very reliable, about 34.00 vs. the 50.00 that I see the TL-2 go for. Probably a little better quality? That's debatable I'm sure.

I also have an e2 and a pelican m6, I'd go with a G2 for your intended purpose and regardless of what you get, any 2X 123 lithium is going to blow away your Mini Mag.
Good luck in your search!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2--Very reliable, about 34.00 vs. the 50.00 that I see the TL-2 go for>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Brightguy has the TL-2 for $ 44.95
Botach has the TL-2 for $ 39.00

jbroker83

Enlightened
I've also seen the G2 for about 29.00, but not sure where.

Either way, I have a lot of respect for both the TL-2 and the G2 for what they can do for certain applications.

T

tpyo

Thanks for the replies, I decided to get the G2, can anyone direct me to a trustworthy online retailer that supplies these? I've looked at MeridianTactical.com and Brightguy.com

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tpyo said:
Thanks for the replies, I decided to get the G2, can anyone direct me to a trustworthy online retailer that supplies these? I've looked at MeridianTactical.com and Brightguy.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Brightguy is one of the finest and most trusted sources of lights at excellent prices. They've also been around a lot longer than some of the others. Brightguy was a double winner in last year's "Lummies" awards.

Over the course of two years and dozens of transactions I've never been less than pleased with their service.

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
The TL2 has a spare bulb just like the Scorpion and Nightfighter (thanks to JohnK for telling me this). It's a nice setup and is enough to make me pick the TL2 instead of the G2, to not have to carry a separate spare lamp around. On the other hand the G2 can accept a HOLA bulb.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote for Meridian Tactical. I just received my G2, and Chris is a great guy to deal with. Drop him an email and you will see! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are great lights. I really like the polymer on the G2 but it really stops there for me. I don't like the switch or lexan lens.

The TL2 has a recessed switch and glass lens, a removable pocket clip, lanyard. Also comes with an extra lamp and spares don't cost $24!. The best value for your money really. Unless you're dead set on sf the streamlight makes more sense.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
You can put a P61 lamp into the G2 and get about double the output

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to take exception to this statement. My Lightbox Apparatus may not be the most accurate device in the world, but a 100% increase in output should be obvious. However, when comparing the P60 to the P61, I got these readings:

P60: 5200
P61: 7000

These were taken with the same batteries moments apart. More like a 35% increase in output... Add to the fact that the P61 was behind a pyrex lens while the P60 was behind a Lexan lens which would result in 5-10% less light getting through the Lexan and therefore artifically widening the gap between the light readings - so the difference (per my readings) may be closer to a 30% increase in output.

[ QUOTE ]
TL-2 Cons: not a Surefire

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
quickbeam: if i'm not mistaken your readings would indicate the intensity of the beams of the P60 and P61, not the total light output (lumens). the beam of the P61 is larger than that of the P60, hence that's where the extra output of the P61 would go. however if i'm mistaken i apologise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I'm not sure if Surefire is really the best of the best. They do have very nice finishing on their product and their brightness is up there (a lot of other companies also have their product very bright as well). Price wise, it's very high as well so their overall value is not that great (that's coming from someone who have a budget). But definitely, if I'm a millionaire, and money is not an issue, I would have pick up a whole bunch of Surefire.