• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Copperhead Flashlight Wave II

[OPEN]

[SOLD] Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, N Memory, $55 + accessories.
Available to Buy right now:
(1) HD Bezel, 25 degree, XML2 6000K, 1520ma, 123 size, LMH, N Memory, $55 + accessories.
(1) Smoothy, 25 degree, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, N Memory, $55 + accessor
ies.

Hi Folks,

I'm ready to open the second Copperhead wave.
Here is the first wave with lots of build info.

In Summary, the Copperhead is a very tough, small light based on a c-thread extension tube, and made mostly of copper otherwise. It starts with a solid copper slug. On that, I reflow a copper sinkpad, and then the LED emitter. By itself, this heatsink can take direct drive from an 18650 for quite a few minutes through a Nichia 219.

The driver is wired up with 22g silver plated stranded mil-spec teflon wire, and encased in mil-spec structural epoxy filled with pharmacy grade zinc oxide for thermal transfer, then the whole pill is wrapped in copper tape.

This pill is friction fit into a copper tube and secured with more thermal epoxy. a TIR is mounted and secured with thermal epoxy, and a copper cap is fitted over the front with more thermal epoxy. Finally, this insert is pressed into the front of a Solarforce CR123 extension tube with approximately 1000 lbs of force and more thermal epoxy.

This is the result:
copperhead_sm.jpg

The parts:
I am completely open with this light. All parts are the highest quality that I could find and I will disclose everything.
Tube: Solarforce CR123 or 18650 extension
Copper tube and endcap: 3/4" Type M water supply pipe
Copper pill: 110 Copper Round Rod, ASTM B187
Driver: Kaidomain AMC7135 V2 LED Driver . Possible driver power is 1520ma or (XML only) 3040ma with 5ma low, or 3040 with 50ma low. I can boost the amperage up to 4560ma for an extra $20. It is no trouble to pop off 7135 chips, so if you would like a custom drive level below 3040ma, just let me know (no charge). This driver has over-discharge protection and will reduce power at 3.0v. It runs best with RCR123, 18350 or 18650. A CR123A will work fine but not drive it to full performance. I am working on a "battery vampire" driver that will work from 0.8 to 4.2v with 760ma output and will make prototypes with 35mm and 50mm lengths for cr123 and aa battery sizes.
PCB: 20mm copper sinkpad sourced from vestureofblood
LED: Nichia NVSL219AT-H1 4500K, 92 CRI, B10 Bin or Cree XM-L2, T6, 3C Tint (5000K) or 1C tint (6000K) sourced from Illumination Supply (other LEDs can be used of course)
Hookup wire: 22 AWG stranded wire with 19 strands of silver plated oxygen free copper wire with teflon insulation. The grounding wire is thick copper braid.
Lens: Acrylic TIR with available angles of 15 (Nichia only), 25, 45, or 60 degrees. These are nominal measurements only - see the first thread for actual beams.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...sales-thread&p=4302981&viewfull=1#post4302981
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...sales-thread&p=4309885&viewfull=1#post4309885
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...sales-thread&p=4302981&viewfull=1#post4302981
Thermal Epoxy: System 3 T-88 Structural Epoxy (Used to make airplanes and boats) filled 1:1 with pharmacy-grade zinc oxide powder.

For Clarity:
$55 gets you what is in the first pic.
Add:
$5 for a basic solarforce switch (forward clicky)
$7 for a shrouded solarforce switch (forward clicky)
$7 for a basic solarforce switch (REVERSE clicky)
$9 for a shrouded solarforce switch (REVERSE clicky)
$5 for an additional 123 tube to make it 18650 compatible
$5 for a solarforce clip
$2 for me to grind off the lanyard loop from the clip
$20 for 4560ma driver
$2 to upgrade to the HD bezel (no longer available)

To Order:

Specifiy LED, Driver power and low level (5 or 50ma is available on the 3040 driver), tube size (18350 or 18650 size), bezel type (smoothy or HD), and accessories (Extra tube, switch, clip).

Available driver modes are found here.

True to the policies of the best CPF sellers, I will not ask for any funds until the product is ready, and will make right any problems.

Known Issues:
1) I am pretty slow - expect a couple of months while I source parts and work on these. I have a job and 3 kids.
2) The TIR does not produce a perfect beam. They work great as flashlights, but don't expect a smooth white wall beam. There are minor artifacts. These lenses were selected for their durability and waterproofing.
3) Don't expect perfect polished machining on the copper. The cap will have minor imperfections from manufacturing and handling before I ever get it, and I can't remove these. I sand and brush the finish to make it fairly smooth.

Thanks, Dan Slone (schizeckinosy)

bezelcomp1.jpg

Last edited:
My Paypal is my user name at yahoo.com
Please Please Please put your CPF username in your paypal note!

From my spreadsheet - check for accuracy!

Final Price includes USPS shipping to US with tracking and insurance. For international, expect to pay about $7 more for Canada, $12-15 UK/EU, not including insurance or tracking. We'll work out the details vie PM.

Key:
Name, Queue order, Status of Order (nothing means not started), Bezel, Lens, Emitter, Driver, Tube size, Accessories, programming, Shipping notes, Final price.

BarryH, 1, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 45, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $67
Lone Eagle, 2
psychbeat, 3, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, Dedome Direct Drive, sanded, aspheric!, $67
d.2.the.p, 4, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 25, KD 1520, 123 size, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, Y Memory, 4000K XML2, $64
Dadof6, 5
seizure, 6
GlenSepper, 7, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, HML, Y Memory, $67
justanotherguy, 8, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, 4560 50ma, 18650 size, Shrouded Clicky, HML, N Memory, $82
[email protected], 9, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, 50mm ZRS
gianetics, 10, Completed, Paid, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Reverse Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $69
Font2010, 11, Completed, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 45, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, LMH, Y Memory, $55
jonwkng, 12, Completed, Paid, Shipped, HD, Optic-FOV 60, XML2 5k, KD 3040, 18650 size, Clip, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, Singapore, $69
darkangel55555, 13, Completed, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 60, N219, KD 1520, 123 size, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, OZ, $62
darkangel55555, 14, Completed, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, 4560 50ma, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clicky, HML, N Memory, OZ, ZRS 35mm
pistolsnipe, 15, Completed, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, N219, Prototype 800ma multi-battery, 123 size, LMH, N Memory, $60
DellSuperman, 16, Completed, Paid (waiting for shipping $), Smoothy, Optic-FOV 45, XML2 5k, KD 3040 50ma, 123 size, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, Singapore, $62
Raze, 16, Completed, HD, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 cool, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, LMH, N Memory, $62
yellow, 17, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, Extra 123 Tube, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, Y Memory, AUSTRIA, $67
william lafferty, 18, In Progress, Completed, Paid, Shipped, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 45, XML2 5k, KD 3040, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clicky, Shrouded Clicky, HM Blink, Y Memory, $72

Last edited:

justanotherguy

Enlightened
Just wanted to make note of my interest (as above) in a high power version of the Nichia219 Copperhead I already own!
I would spec the LED that makes the most light.

I offer for the reader a whole hearted thumbs up of Dan. :thumbsup:
His product and his customer service are awesome!

Tony

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking good!
Would it be possible to have the 5000K XML dedomed and direct drive? ;)
I'm BROKE til the end of next week but still interested!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan! my N219 CopperHead is still on a flight halfway around the world on its way to me... But I'm back for seconds! :D
I was looking through the old thread with all those beamshots and realise that I would like to order another light with this combination...

HD Bezel, Optic-FOV 60, XM-L2 (5000K), KD 3040mA with 5mA low, 18650 size, Clip, Shrouded Forward Clicky, LMH, N Memory

Having your lights crafted by Dan Slone is an absolute pleasure. It is like going to a nice restaurant and getting to customize your order (flashlight) just the way you like it. You pick the ingredients, he crafts you a light made from quality parts at a great price. What's amazing is that everything is transparent - parts he uses, methodology, results... Plus the regular communication and updates. No hidden suprises, no "secret sauce"... What you see is what you get. :thumbsup:

Looking good!
Would it be possible to have the 5000K XML dedomed and direct drive? ;)
I'm BROKE til the end of next week but still interested!

Hi psych, I can certainly make a DD Copperhead, but keeping it alive would be on you, OK? I've never dedomed an LED, but the procedure seems pretty straightforward. I'll give one a try. If I botch it, I might not be willing to try again at $6 each for the latest model XML2!

For my repeat customers, thanks for the ultimate recommendation! I've got several drivers and pills made up, so we should have some completed lights soon. I'm about out of solarforce tubes, so will need to wait for new ones to come in after about 2-3 lights.

Cheers, Dan

darkangel55555

Newly Enlightened
$55
Nichia 219A 1520mA 60 degree
no memory, start in low
5mA low mode
CR123A only
Add:
$7 for a shrouded solarforce switch (forward clicky)

$55
XML2 (5000K) at 4+ A if possible, max available otherwise, 25 degree
50mA low
18350 body
no memory, start in high
$5 for a basic solarforce switch (forward clicky)
$2 to upgrade to the HD bezel
$5 for an additional 123 tube to make it 18650 compatible

Am I number 13?

EDIT: If possible, I'd like just one level, seeing as I'm from the incandescent era and multi-level lights feel somehow 'off' or wrong to me.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi psych, I can certainly make a DD Copperhead, but keeping it alive would be on you, OK? I've never dedomed an LED, but the procedure seems pretty straightforward. I'll give one a try. If I botch it, I might not be willing to try again at $6 each for the latest model XML2!

For my repeat customers, thanks for the ultimate recommendation! I've got several drivers and pills made up, so we should have some completed lights soon. I'm about out of solarforce tubes, so will need to wait for new ones to come in after about 2-3 lights.

Cheers, Dan

Gotcha - I know that D-D lights aren't reverse protected & don't have low voltage warning etc.

Don't try the dedome unless U feel fairly confident haha - I think Vinh had a pretty good thread on it but I'm working so I can't look right now.

My ideal set up would be:
5000K XML2 dedomed in a 25 deg optic (or maybe the 15 if u can test to see if the dedomed XML fits)
Direct drive.
+7$ for shrouded forward clicky.
+5$ for 18650 extension

I'm thinking of sanding the solarforce body smooth possibly so that is silver with maybe a left over stripe of black.
I'll have to do it by hand tho :(
Or maybe tape it to a drill? Haha

I'll have some $ by the end of the weekend.
If u run out of bodies I'll wait!!!

I'll be using it outside mostly as a backup bike light for quick downhill runs @night.

Should be epic on panny PFs!

Thanks!!

JohnF

Enlightened
I must comment on the light I received - although I have 20 or so high end flashlights this one is a total pleasure. I wanted a light for a specific purpose, for my nightly walk. No sidewalks and not many street lights around here. So, thanks to the options available, I was able to spec it for this exact purpose.

1) 5k XML2 is a beautiful tint, and if I didn't know better would think it is slightly warmer, and with an excellent CRI for an emitter not rated as high CRI. Very high output.
2) extension tube for 18650, it fits in the hand better than a single CR123a form factor, but have that option if needed.
3) perfect length to act as 'hand reenforcement' in case I'd have to defend myself.
4) reverse clicky for quick and easy mode changes from an 'on' condition. I ordered the 'shrouded', but have swapped it out with a non-shrouded to make mode changes easier.
5) I ask for, and received, a 'medium-high-flash'. No need for low for a walking flashlight, and starting on medium is perfect.
6) 45 degree optic for wide coverage.

The results are spectacular for a spec-purpose walking light. The XML2 with a 18650 on medium lasts for hours with occasional changes to 'high', and medium is the perfect starting brightness with the 45 degree optic. The driver UI along with the reverse clicky is a real pleasure to use. While on the starting medium brightness, 2 quick taps gets me to 'high. 3 quick taps get me to the 'flash' mode to get the attention of an approaching car. It is not strobe, just an unassuming flash which gets a cars attention without being obnoxious. One tap from either 'high' or 'flash' gets me back to 'medium'. The 45 degree optic provides a smooth beam the width of a two lane street at 30 feet, just perfect for walking.

I just couldn't imagine a better designed flashlight for night walks. I didn't need a 'thrower' or a high CRI for seeing asphalt 30 - 60 feet ahead of me but the XML2 / 45 degree combo is excellent. Current draw on 'medium' is .5a, 1.5a on 'high', so it is good for about 3 hours, or 2 nightly walks before being recharged. I managed to drop it while fiddling with my iPod while walking, and it landed head down on a sidewalk. It held up remarkably well, just a small ding that adds character.

Simply a fantastic light for the purpose I wanted it for. Many thanks to Dan for making this inexpensive light available.

John F

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to agree with JohnF above. I received two lights, one extension, shrouded clickies. I also prefer the 18650 sized light (easy enough to throw an extension on the second one). Low is quite low, medium is nice for general use and high is nice. I already know that I liked the LEDs that Dan was offering (Nichia 219 & XML2 5000K) so got one of each. Nice heft to the lights which I can only presume will help remove heat from the LED. I haven't run them long enough to heat up.

Nice job all round!!

Hi Guys, Thanks for the great reviews!

The weight of the copperhead has been mentioned several times. Each light has 2-1/4 oz (over 63g) of copper in the head, so its going to be hefty overall.

The purpose for all this is to soak up the heat of course, and it really works. I'm developing my 4.5a driver for justanotherguy, and tonight I measured 1216 lumens out of the front. I was just holding the heatsink in my fingers to get this reading, and I did not detect any problems, so I declare the copperhead to be safe (withing reasonable time limits) with this higher drive level. Its really fiddly to put this high-amp system together - all the potential resistance points have to be tweaked (I'm starting to sound like Vinh) to let the amps through, so I'm going to charge an extra $20 for this drive level. Honestly though the difference between 850 lumens that the 3a driver makes and the 1200 lumens is not huge in real world application. I showed my wife tonight ("look honey, 1200 lumens!") and she was looking not very impressed, but I get that a lot ;)

darkangel - I have you in the queue. If want the high amp 1-level for an extra $20 I'll build it. I do have a head already made up with the 3a driver, 5000K XML2 and single mode if you want that one instead. I measured it at 860+ lumens. Is your wish for 1-level only for the bright one, or both lights? Shipping to OZ will be expensive...

Thanks! Dan

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dedoming Successful!

Well, I did some research on dedoming and found a solvent method that seems foolproof. So far I'm 1 for 1 and it was not that bad. We'll see how it looks in a light!

P1050322cropsm.jpg

AWESOME!!!
Ill get u some $$ ASAP:)

Outdoors the extra yellow from dedoming REALLY helps increase contrast in misty & foggy conditions.
Especially on tight trails etc.

Might be a ring or two in the beam on a wall - i pretty much only use lights in the field so it's never an issue.
I have an H501w & H60w for indoor tasks ;)

gratmars

Newly Enlightened
Do these have a smooth transition from the hotspot to the spill? I looked at the 25 and the 30 but it appears as if the 30 has a smoother transition. I only have one light with TIR but the hotspot is sharp and has a terrible transition.

Can this run at 1.5 continuously without overheating?

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take one. Paypal SENT..

** Edit **

XML2 5000k
TIR 25deg * I'll change it to 45deg *
3040mA driver w/ LMH & w/o memory
low level at 50mA
tube size 18350
smoothy bezel
shrouded Forward clicky tailcap

Total $55 + $7 = $62

Sorry for the change!

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan,
wow, not even noticed these yet, cool.
:thumbs_up:

questions:
* "HD" bezel are the 2 on the right side? What is the exact gain?
* light will always be 18350 body and 18650 option is always the additonal extension tube?
* all is completely submersible (copper head, lens, press fit into body, ...)? ...question solved, it is...

am intererested in:

copperhead
XM-L2 T6
25 deg. optic
1.520 mA Max,
5 mA low
low --> med --> high (starting in low)
mode memory (when possible)

55,-- light
+ 7,-- shrouded Solarforce switch - forward
+ 5,-- 18650 extension
+ 15,- for Your deep clip (from other thread)
sums up at 82,--

* intl. shipping to Austria ? (best: standard flat shipping. No USPS please. Else, what You can offer)
* anything for "paypal fee"?