12 volt variable brightness photon drill!

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
My first mod is up and working! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had a Bosch 3310 cordless drill which had died mechanically,about 6 months after I bought 2 new batteries for it-90 bucks.When I found CPF I started thinking about what I had on hand to modify,and this was a great candidate-it had been sitting in the garage unused for a year.I took the motor and gearbox out of it,cut down a 3D mag body to a length I liked,removed the switch and tailcap,and bored an extra hole in the body to pass the wires up from the drill trigger( it's a T-handle drill). With the encouragement of Quickbeam and Chief Wiggum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif I installed a 50 watt low voltage(to the lighting industry,but not here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif)MR16 bulb. The MR16 fits right in a Mag head,and the fixtures in my kitchen ceiling came with tempered glass covers which hold the bulb snugly in the Mag.Turn it on and look out-this sucker is bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif It throws a 24 degree beam quite a distance. Naturally I wanted to try something narrower,so I picked up a 15 degree bulb and put that in.(There are many different MR16 bulbs,and they all just plug in to a socket.) Now my light throws hundreds of feet, and still illuminates a pretty wide area.Wahoo! I decided to check the runtime-it's drawing 4.2 amps-and put a rubber band around the trigger.The light was not real bright,and I wondered if the battery was dying. Then I realized that the drill was variable speed,trigger controlled,and when I squeezed it hard it went back to pain bright. (Don't get excited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif) On a fully charged battery it runs 20 minutes before starting to dim,putting out a very white light.I have 2 batteries and a charger,plus a case I can hack a bit to make it fit. I'm happy. She ugly,but she sho' can cook!
Thanks for letting me share. I will admit that the Mag head got too hot during the runtime test,which I did with a small clamp on the trigger.50 watt MR16s run hot.That wouldn't be an issue during normal use.I would like to figure a way to switch it on,other than holding the trigger constantly. I'd also like to increase the runtime. I'm thinking about switching to LEDs,but have no experience with them. There are some commercially available LED MR16s,but I have the feeling they're not real bright.Does anyone here know? I've been thinking about using one of Wayne J.'s 3X3 LS lights,but in PM I've been having a hard time explaining what's going on. I know he's also busy turning out his fine instruments. I've been having a lot of fun with this. Glad I found CPF.
John

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supercool! Pictures please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good idea, the variable trigger is a nice touch.

Hey, any idea on the voltage drop across the bulb when it's full-on? I tried a similar thing with a 14.4 volt battery pack and a 20 watt MR16 and was underwhelmed. I figured it was that the battery pack was stealing the voltage, but now I think I have to go back and try it with a 50 watt MR16, bulb wattage may have been the problem.

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
OK,I'm going to attempt to post some pics. Unfortunately,I don't know how. I have some pics on a CD. How do I get them up?
John
I don't have a website.

UK Owl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lightcrazed said:
OK,I'm going to attempt to post some pics. Unfortunately,I don't know how. I have some pics on a CD. How do I get them up?
John
I don't have a website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign up with one of the companies offering free webspace, and upload your images to there. All you have to do then is link to them in this forum.

As for LED's I'm sure this mod would benefit from a 5 watt Luxeon Star !

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying again. I hope I'm not screwing up here.Here goes [image]tjtech.org?~CPF/lightcrazed/picturephotondrill.001.jpg[
/image]
Screwed up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Soul-tez

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering using the batteries and trigger switch from a 14.2V DeWalt cordless drill to dim a 12V 20W MR16 bike light. Does the switch pulse the power on and off using a PWM or does it just use a resistor to limit the motors speed? When you barely squeeze the trigger there is a high pitch whine from the motor which leads me to belive that it is being pulsed. Thanks in advance

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
cheesehead-I don't know about a voltage drop. I think it may have just been the 20W bulb. I've seen MR16s up to 75W on the net.Try a brighter one and I think you'll be pleased. I also found aluminized bulbs available,which don't leak light out the back. I want to try one of those. admedeus-good idea. I've seen variable speed triggers that can be locked in position,too. Soul-tez- no idea how the trigger works. Mine makes some noise,too,when you turn it on. I'm still trying to upload the pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
Better than nothing http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p34605d14013eef8cc547df01d4828a10/fa4aadc3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pfd7fa7c1b9341658f177bf6c27a30507/fa4aadb7.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pf288765afbdf73d6b366235c04f9410a/fa4aadad.jpg
I know this is screwed up, but at least you can get to the pictures. The plastic parts don't need to be there.I just thought it might make a better transition between shapes. Eventually I'll figure out how to upload pictures.
John

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello John,

Welcome to CPF.

I like it!

Just tell them that you have a laser in there. You are going to chuck up your light and drill a hole in the darkness.

Tom

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lightcrazed said:
I know this is screwed up, but at least you can get to the pictures. The plastic parts don't need to be there.I just thought it might make a better transition between shapes. Eventually I'll figure out how to upload pictures.
John

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the pics in the last post just fine. Good job.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
fa4aadcf.jpg

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightcrazed,

Nope, me dumb, I tried it again with a 20 watt mr16 and 14.4 volts and it was very bright (don't what I was doing before). Voltage only drops 0.3 from 14.9 nominal-NiCD's have very little resisitance, impressive. 50 watts have to be even more fun. They sell 250 watt MR16 on the web, in case you're interested.

Soul-tez,

A Bosch will pulse the power, that's no cheap drill.

cheese