My Quest: Perfect night-time/bedside light

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright...I'm on a quest to find the PERFECT night-time/bedside light for my wife.

Right now, she uses 2 lights:
-A Brinkmann Legend LX she carries in her coat pocket or purse. She loves it since it's really bright and small and prefers the beam to be set on wide focus because she likes to light up an entire large area all at once.
-A PAL light is by the bedside. She likes the "always on" mode but hates the small amount of light it puts out and also does not like the narrow beam.

So, my quest for her involves a very wide beam of light and one with either an "always on" mode or else a locator LED that would preferably stay "always on" since she does not like blinking LED's (she really does not like my Inova 24/7 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

Any thoughts?
Any of our modders know of a way of installing a locator LED (always on) into a Legend LX or other lights?

Darell

Flashaholic
My advice would be to fix the Pal. I did an LED-ectomy on mine, and plunked a wider emitter in there and tossed the lens. Instant "good" light with locator. I know exactly what she means about the narrow beam! I couldn't stand it either. I find the Pal (after mod) to be the perfect low-light bedside-companion for those trips around the house in the dark. My Pal sits right next to my SF L6 so I can find 'em both when needed.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pal I have is the older style with the smaller (not 3mm or 5mm) die? LED. So, is it still possibly to modify it?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
She just likes the size/weight/heft of the LX.
Hey, I'm just glad she EDC's a flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And, remember, she prefers the LX on "wide" focus and not spot like the SureFire E2 so a SureFire would not work for her. She likes W I D E beams

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pal light or get a Streamlight TT-2L and put an Glow ring on it. I have both the Pal light is decent enough to find your way in the dark, but it's not this flashaholics favorite.

I like the tritium glowrings and use a couple to mark and find things I would need to grab should a quake happen in the middle of the night.

GregR

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm...hadn't thought about the glow ring idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Anyone have 1 extra pink glowring?

jtice

Flashaholic
Get a minimag with dropin module and mcflood reflector.
Makes a nice smooth even flood of light, Great for in the house.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vector 3 MCP, you can leave the little 3.6 watt incandescent on all night and then charge it by day. It's a relatively wide beam with good power.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif cheesehead
LOL like she's going to carry that beast around with her at night as she checks on the kids, etc...

I do like the McFlood idea with the minimag though...not quite as cheap as I was hoping though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! It has a shoulder strap for comfort. It also comes in several different colors, from natural aluminum, white, yellow and cameo so it accessorizes well. OK, I give up.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisM

Check the non-flashlight B/S/T.

A few years ago before I bought my ARC-AAA or had my TW4, I used to travel with a Green glowring attached to a Photon II. That was my travel light, small, pocketable, easy to find in the dark and just enought light to find my way to an unfamiliar bathroom. You could even put it on a lanyard and have it hang from your neck.

GregR

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want perfection, you can't come any closer than a 1x123 McLux with a McFlood (wide beam) and traser tubes in the tail stand. As a substitute you could hang a glowring on one of the accessory ports.

I personally find I don't need a locator. I just always put my light in the exact same place on the nightstand (on the corner of the nightstand that's nearest to the bed) so I can easily reach for it and find it in the dark.

springnr

Enlightened
My Turtlelight II has laid claim to the night table spot for several years now. Shightly Brining all night an greeting me in the AM at times when I forget to switch it off. I pop it's NiMHs in the MAHA C401 once a month whether they need it or not.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Sauce lightwand in rolled cardboard base. An inverted 3" spare flashlight reflector slides down onto the top of the lighted wand to make a very nice little "shade" to direct the soft glow onto the nightstand.

Looks just like a mini table lamp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the Photon II wouldn't be bright enough for her.

How much will a 1x123 with McFlood cost? Are they even still available?

Isn't the Turtlelight II the same one as a Dorcy Cool Blue/Dorcy Boss with a really tight beam?

What the heck is a stalklight with a uFlex 1 watt?

I hadn't thought about that LED lantern...how big are they? Any available since I missed that group buy?

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:

I hadn't thought about that LED lantern...how big are they? Any available since I missed that group buy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is about 10" high and 6" wide. I love it!