Custom leather holster or kydex for HDS?

sampson2269

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys/girls prefer for carrying your HDS flashlight? The kydex holster that Henry sells? Or a leather holster from someone like Thor Hammer?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me, kydex for more tactical. thor hammer for more leisure. carry mine in my pocket, no carry in a holster. if i did , it would be a thor.

sampson2269

Newly Enlightened
for me, kydex for more tactical. thor hammer for more leisure. carry mine in my pocket, no carry in a holster. if i did , it would be a thor.

I don't mind carrying it in my jean's pocket, but when I'm at work wearing FR's, the flashlight likes to turn sideways in my pocket. Annoys the crap outta me!

BillSWPA

Enlightened
While I cannot comment specifically on HDS pouches, I have invariably found that Kydex holds lights more securely than leather. Leather requires substantial bearing surface for good retention, and the design of many lights makes this difficult or impossible to achieve.

sampson2269

Newly Enlightened
While I cannot comment specifically on HDS pouches, I have invariably found that Kydex holds lights more securely than leather. Leather requires substantial bearing surface for good retention, and the design of many lights makes this difficult or impossible to achieve.

Good information, I'm trying to find a Skinth holder for the HDS and my Leatherman, but it looks like the p3 & p2 models won't fit both at the same time.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good information, I'm trying to find a Skinth holder for the HDS and my Leatherman, but it looks like the p3 & p2 models won't fit both at the same time.

tyring to revive this thread. I desperately need a new belt carry hol(e)ster or small pouch for HDS and/or similar sized CR123 sized light. have looked at the skinth wth interest. anyone know which size will fit the HDS twisty?? TIA...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm resurrecting this thread because I have something unique to contribute. When it comes to carrying the HDS, it seems there are three basic options:

1) Pocket clips: Personally, I never trust them, having nearly lost expensive edc gear that way. I also don't like to advertise publicly what I'm toting. Beyond that, a clip alters the natural ergonomics of the flashlight. Not a good option for me.

2) Belt holster: These are a plausible solution depending on your activities, but I'm a suburb dwelling office drone. I don't want to be "that guy" with the quick draw lights in the board room.

3) Deep pocket carry: You could do it, but it is cluster chaos. Good luck.

I want to pocket carry both of my HDS flashlights (two are one,right?), but I need them to be stable and secure. I considered edc pocket organizers like Skinth and Bush Gear, but none fit the bill.

My solution? A custom leather, double barrel, HDS pocket slip from Thor's Hammer!

Leather1.jpg

Leather2.jpg

I recognize that this rig represents more mass than some folks will want to pocket carry, but I believe the footprint is at least as small as Skinth PM2, if not smaller. Plus, that nylon garbage is not worthy of HDS metal. I'm accustomed to pocketing larger flashlights like the venerable Malkoff MD2, so this thing is a breeze. It even stands upright!

Leather3.jpg

Leather4.jpg

The transaction was fast and pleasant. I placed my order after hours on a Friday and Mr. Thor had my order ready for shipping on Sunday morning. He even sent me photos of the project during different phases of completion. I'm in a state of flashoholic nirvana. I would have delirium tremens if I were deprived of this!

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

My solution? A custom leather, double barrel, HDS pocket slip from Thor's Hammer!

The transaction was fast and pleasant. I placed my order after hours on a Friday and Mr. Thor had my order ready for shipping on Sunday morning. He even sent me photos of the project during different phases of completion. I'm in a state of flashoholic nirvana. I would have delirium tremens if I were deprived of this!

Thank you for this idea. I have the HDS nylon holster which is great but has a big footprint especially when driving a vehicle in a seated position. I have the Thor Hammer leather holster made in a small footprint with a belt clip. Works great and is preferred over the kydex for in vehicle travel. Also have a pocket clip that works great

One thing I am considering, now that I have read your post, is a single sleeve in pocket holster from Thors Hammer. Much like a magazine holster I imagine this type of holster would keep the HDS flashlight in a perfect for drawing and re-holstering position while not printing through the pant. Need to think a little more about this and try my firearm magazine pocket holster some more to see if this option will work for me and my HDS lights.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful the owner of Thor's is a ****. Even when on vacation he makes me check emails and the forum. Most difficult one-man-shop I've ever worked for... and he's creepy... it's like he always knows what I'm thinking...

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning, I tried my HDS light in a DeSantis Mag Packer Pocket Magazine Pouch (9mm) see link below for product picture.

While the light fit fine within the holster my impression was that the holster added a lot of bulk to the front pocket. Going to continue to test it over the next week in different pant pockets to see if my impression changes over time and situations.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...7rsvugtDJztztpL3Ym2qDrT6E2Uiem8YaAhRqEALw_wcB

d13avo

Enlightened
I carry my HDS in a custom Thor's hammer leather holster as well, they are superb quality and the clip is mega strong. Have two holsters now the one is in tiny basket weave which I highly recommend.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning, I tried my HDS light in a DeSantis Mag Packer Pocket Magazine Pouch (9mm) see link below for product picture.

Hey, that's pretty cool. Do you carry a back up light? Where do you keep it? I've struggled to find pocket real estate for a secondary flashlight. I've been carrying a Maxpedition pocket organizer pouch in a cargo pocket, but the second light is not easily accessible (You have to withdraw the pouch and unzip it.) Plus I just got sick of it.

The custom leather solves this problem for me.

I may have to order a matching organizer for my other front pocket. (keys, phone, knife).

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that's pretty cool. Do you carry a back up light? Where do you keep it?

Presently, if I am walking I carry an HDS with a Prometheus pocket clip on my left pocket and a MARATAC AAA nichia in the left pocket. I do not even notice either one. If I am driving I use the Thors Hammer small footprint leather holster on my left side and the MARATAC AAA nichia in my left pocket. The MARATAC is so small I do not even notice it in my pocket until I need it. However, that light only has a range of about 10 feet whereas the HDS has an effective range of about 50 feet. If I am in New York City I do not currently carry the HDS because it attracts unwanted attention (freaks some people out).

I will be testing my HDS light in the DeSantis magazine pouch pocket holster over the next several days. If I like it I will see if Thors Hammer can make me a slimmer one custom for the HDS so the light will re holster easier.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Presently, if I am walking I carry an HDS with a Prometheus pocket clip on my left pocket and a MARATAC AAA nichia in the left pocket. I do not even notice either one. If I am driving I use the Thors Hammer small footprint leather holster on my left side and the MARATAC AAA nichia in my left pocket. The MARATAC is so small I do not even notice it in my pocket until I need it. However, that light only has a range of about 10 feet whereas the HDS has an effective range of about 50 feet. If I am in New York City I do not currently carry the HDS because it attracts unwanted attention (freaks some people out).
I will be testing my HDS light in the DeSantis magazine pouch pocket holster over the next several days. If I like it I will see if Thors Hammer can make me a slimmer one custom for the HDS so the light will re holster easier.

A leather copy of that DeSantis could definitely be done.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Thor"s Holster for my 18650. Tried one with clip and with a belt loop......now I have to try the pocket slip idea! Guess I'll be adding on to my group buy's when the time comes. Now, about that Titanium rotary.........

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying my two edc lights, Rotary HDS in a Thors holster, and a Okluma DC1 clipped to my pocket. The holster definitely keeps the light out of the way and accessible. There are times that I want my pocket cleared, the holster lets me keep a light out of the way. As an added bonus, I noticed the holster fits my MD2 with a Surefire tailcap (Z41?) bezel up as well!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried my clicky in one of Thor's holsters since 2010. It's the only way I carry my HDS out of the house.

--flatline

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
A leather copy of that DeSantis could definitely be done.

I've tried the DeSantis 9mm magazine pocket holster with the HDS light in a few different front pant pockets. The holster seems a bit thick all over and inflexible as I notice the holster in my pocket. The length and width dimensions of the holster seem about right for drawing and holstering the HDS flashlight with one hand. (The holsters longer side goes vertical in the pocket when I am standing up.)

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking into Thors flashlight holsters for a while. I know I want one with a spare battery tube. However, just can't decide if I want the battery tube underneath or to the side.

Latest posts