Angryfox        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

Default Re: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

Ha, that's great gurdy.

The other morning I was sitting in the morning sunlight and aimed my Solitaire at the ceiling and couldn't see anything from it. But at 4:30am it had easily lit my way down a hallway, tailstood in candle mode while I made coffee enjoying the amount of light my birthday cake probably put out when I was.. oh, maybe 8?
    It's a wonderful light for certain situations.
    John 3:16

I think anyone who uses Solitaire in the pitch with dark adapted eyes can appreciate its usefulness. If your eyes are not dark adapted, such as walking out of a bright sunny day into a dark structure, you'll need something far brighter and maybe with a cooler color temperature. But with dark adapted eyes, I can even find the newer stock xenon Solitaire lamps irritating and too bright, and have reverted (or will, when I pick some up) to using the older Solitaire krypton lamps, or using the older krpton MiniMag lamps underdriven (a "true" firefly light), or underdriving the Lamptronix lamps I keep mentioning (they're so great!). The incan Solitaire is a subtle tool, and if the user lacks subtlety, they won't appreciate it. But if you can lead the Solitaire-haters to a situation where their pupils are hugely dialated and eyes dark adapted, they will suddenly see the light!

Thought I'd share a beam shot of a few E01s vs an incan solitaire. Two stock E01s on the left, big tint difference, then my sharpie modded E01 and last the incan solitaire. I'm pretty happy with how close I got to a warm incan beam just using sharpie on a sanded E01 LED. It's not exact, the solitaire definitely has a lot more yellow but the E01 is nice and warm and shows color more true than the stock LEDs do.
    image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Augh! GREEN... MAKE IT STOP!!!
    Eh, just kidding. Some folks get so worked up over the least amount of green...

Now BTT, so did you Shapie the lens? I want my Malkoff'd 3D Mag to be a warm looking one and your mod looks exactly what I want it to look like.
    Please elaborate.

And that would be a nifty neato addition to the flashaholics tips n tricks threads in the General section... may be page 12 by now. lol

Yea I sand the LED and then put sharpie straight on it and the "reflector". Next to it is a Fenix E12 that I did the same thing to that looks A LOT like an incan beam. I also sanded the lens of my 3D mag LED and then sharpied it but the beam looks all wacky and purple.
    image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Augh! GREEN... MAKE IT STOP!!!
    Eh, just kidding. Some folks get so worked up over the least amount of green...

Now BTT, so did you Shapie the lens? I want my Malkoff'd 3D Mag to be a warm looking one and your mod looks exactly what I want it to look like.
    Please elaborate.

And that would be a nifty neato addition to the flashaholics tips n tricks threads in the General section... may be page 12 by now. lol

Also I don't know why MAG doesn't sell Incan LENSES that people can put on their LED mags. Put on a lens that makes the tint look like incan? Doesn't seem that would be too tough.

One guy here suggested "Lee" gels from camera stores.

So the lens and reflector. Got it. Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Yes, I sometimes DO use them - when two Lumens (the lowest setting of my U2 Ultra) is simply too brught and too aggressive a color of light to switch that one on. That situation is: you suddenly awake in the middle of the night, in your tent, wondering how late it is. You grab your light and small Solitaire, turn it on, and without getting blinded you see perfectly on your watch how late it is...

The missus gets very irritated when my nocturnal searches for something on the high-boy dresser top (I keep a lot of papers and hobby stuff there) wake her up. Using the Solitaire I get just enough light to see what I'm looking for without waking anyone up. Subtlety has its advantages.

I also like having hundreds if these little lights raining down on me. j/k
    I actually tail stand a solitaire for showers sometimes.

My Solitaire love affair revival is still in full swing. Can’t get enough of this thing. Anyone know what kind of runtime to expect out of this thing on a lithium primary??

I wonder if it might have shorter runtime than the standard alkaline rating due to the better voltage under of load of the lithium primaries.

Anybody have a good suggestion for smoothing out the beam on an incandescent Solitaire a little bit without making it too floody? I tried Scotch Magic tape, since I don't have any DC-Fix on hand, and it was too much, even when on the tightest focus.

I sand the lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    I wonder if it might have shorter runtime than the standard alkaline rating due to the better voltage under of load of the lithium primaries.

Anybody have a good suggestion for smoothing out the beam on an incandescent Solitaire a little bit without making it too floody? I tried Scotch Magic tape, since I don't have any DC-Fix on hand, and it was too much, even when on the tightest focus.

Sand the bulb globe a bit.

(Fenix E01 trick)

Glad to see the solitaire getting some love again.

I guess I'll try sanding the bulb as my first option, since that is more easily reversible, and I have a spare. Thanks.

For that matter, maybe I should get another couple of spares so I can continue to use this light if I so desire in the distant future.

true.
    i have a few untouched special editions ratholed in their original packages(minus the alkaleaks).
    all the ones in service have ebay hi cri led and 10440 li in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    "Flashaholic" and "stock Solitaire" don't go together in the same sentence. The notably smaller Klarus MiX5, with uses the even-smaller AAAA battery size, is five times brighter..

literally cannot believe that I never thought to sand the bulb. Probably way more effective than sanding the lens. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

(Fenix E01 trick)

Glad to see the solitaire getting some love again.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    literally cannot believe that I never thought to sand the bulb. Probably way more effective than sanding the lens. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    My instinct is strongly not to do this, but I trust bykfixer, and on further thought, there's a big difference between concerns about the integrity of the bulb of a 500W halogen worklamp that you don't even want to get skin oil on less it cause a hotspot that shatters the bulb, versus a 2 lumen flashlight.

I've always kind of liked the old style Solitaire lights. I have both and keep the Incandescent models on my key rings. I don't always like a bright light when I'm out at night and if I need brighter, I have other options. Sometimes you just need enough light to see the key hole or look at something close without lighting up the entire area and completely ruining your night vision.

My incan solitaire is special because I didn't buy it. I found it out in my yard where a thief dropped it. Great light if you want to see without being seen. I used it on my jobsite at the abandoned mine and with fresh batteries it did well. It even shined off a green road sign way off in the distance where I enter the property--probably close to 100yds. It shines up into the high trees off in the distance. It is a useful light, but when it comes to mosquitoes in my jeep I grab something else because the rings in the beam makes it difficult to see them and when it comes to mosquitoes I don't play. A 5/6 (yes,they claim 13, but a incan mini mag at 14 lumen is twice as bright and then some) lumen e01 is the dimmest flashlight that I will use on a mosquito and the ml25 and ml50 are the brightest. Now the little solitaire resides by my side when I'm in bed and it is sooo bright in my bedroom. I don't think that thief ever stole anything, but they sure left me a good light with the help of my two dogs. I do accept donations lol.

I wish I would have seen this back when I had access to a bead blaster at work.

And for my next trick, watch me drive this nail with a jackhammer……

And for my next trick, watch me drive this nail with a jackhammer……

Lol

Ordered another one of these little guys today. I miss having one as my bedside table light for reading and late night trips to the bathroom. A classic little light.

I have one I use almost religiously on a daily basis. I have a lid on my toolbox that needs to be wedged to stay open. It’s the perfect length 😁😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I keep an incan and a Spectrum warm version on my night stand. Both are very handy at times.

Flashaholic*

Funny this thread came up again. I pulled several new old stock out of their packages the other day because the alkalines that came in the package all leaked. Must have been a bad batch of AAA batteries, because my 2AAA Minimags were all the same way. I think they were all marked 2027 and had all gone to hell already being stored at room temperature.
    ampdude

Well got my new Solitaire today and was quickly reminded of why I love sandpaper so much. Man this beam is ringy. First I popped the bulb out and gave that a good sanding as Bykfixer or someone had mentioned earlier in this thread. Still ringy. Put the bulb back in and screwed on the head and sanded the lens real good. Now it has a respectably smooth beam. These are like E01s in my opinion as far as having to work a little bit to get the beam to where you like it. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, it has taken its rightful place on my bedside table. Always at the ready to show me the way to the restroom and to make sure I don't step on the dog's head while en route. I love these things. Long live the Solitaire incan.

I have and occasionally use a MM with a Lambda Lights SMJLed. Lithium battery only.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456