Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

For some reason during the past week I've wanted to buy one of these old Solitaires... however, I don't want to spend my money on something as useless as this, but I do feel kinda nostalgic, lol. I used to have one for a short period of time, but the LEDs are of course so much better. I wonder if I'll be disappointed again if I buy one Maglite now or I'll like it, knowing I can't expect much from it.

So, do you still use your old Solitaires? If you post pictures, it would be great!
    ~ ~ ~ Why did God create the night? So that we can use our flashlights. ~ ~ ~

Default Re: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

"Flashaholic" and "stock Solitaire" don't go together in the same sentence. The notably smaller Klarus MiX5, with uses the even-smaller AAAA battery size, is five times brighter..

Flashaholic*

Hmmm....I once gave a pink one to my then three year old daughter...but she soon preferred my Zebra SC30 so I gave her one of those as well. Haven't seen that dim little pink light in a few years now.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFoxes III & IV, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

Flashaholic*

I can't say if you would be satisfied with an incandescent Solitaire. After all, the average match is bright by comparison. i would say that, if you want one for sentimental reasons, go ahead and buy one. They're not particularly expensive. But unless you are one of those folks who actually like moonlight modes, you might not find it to be the most useful light out there.
    Last edited by StorminMatt; 02-15-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Lol, comparing it to moonlight mode sounds about right

Well, yes, I like their appearance for some reason... I'll think a bit and decide if to spend my money on one or get just another Fenix E01. I've had an E01 before and then sold it.

Flashaholic*

Solitaire was my very first keychain light. I bought it around 1997-98 in my early flashoholism. I wanted quality flashlights instead of plastic 4AA and 4D lanterns: 6D, 2D, MiniMaglite 2AA and finally I got also Solitaire(All in black because swedish dealers usually sold only black Maglites). I used it a lot and remember it became worned. Don't know if I still have it somewhere. However I remember I was impressed by the brightness from such a small light, but yes; the runtime was very short and the brightness very fast declined... If I find it at a low price and a nice color, it may happen I buy it again, just for fun to compare to Fenix LD01...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    "Flashaholic" and "stock Solitaire" don't go together in the same sentence. The notably smaller Klarus MiX5, with uses the even-smaller AAAA battery size, is five times brighter..
    Yes, five times brighter and should last at least five times longer as well!

I recently dug up an old, well worn Solitaire in a former coworker's desk at work. Luckily there wasn't an alkaleak in it. I had crazy ideas to modernize it, but, finding a suitable driver that would fit that small diameter tube proved to be extremely difficult. It's now been modified into a spare AAA carrier, which is about as good as it's going to get from this thing.

There are just so many more awesome options in that format though; the Illuminati comes to mind, same size as the Solitaire but with 130+ lumens.

And just reiterating the insane size of the Klarus MiX5..

I imagine you will be so disappointed,they really are terrible and i am surprised you do not find them as a tatty gift in a Christmas cracker.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Oh, well. I guess I just need a cheap crappy keychain flashlight to use for a while... so that I convince myself and others that I need to spend MORE money on yet another proper light. Lol.

true.
    i have a few untouched special editions ratholed in their original packages(minus the alkaleaks).
    all the ones in service have ebay hi cri led and 10440 li in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post

Honorary Aussie

I have many Maglite and other incans that I've bought or collected over the years but have only had one Solitaire and that was decades ago. It served as a keychain light mainly for helping me find the keyhole of my old apartment late at night instead of fumbling around in the dark and for that it was fine. But these days my EDC is an LED type usually with at least a 300 lumen max output and a medium and low power mode when I need to preserve my night vision. The little Solitaire also worked pretty well as a short Yawara stick although fortunately I never had to use it in that capacity.
    Last edited by magellan; 04-29-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Mine in the 2nd best place after the bin

Enlightened

i dont, i still keep the one in my sheath with my swiss army knife but it doesnt get used. the other two i have are now stash containers

Flashaholic*

I own one, never use it; waste of batteries.

If, for some reason, all of my other AAA lights vanish or die, and I am desperate for a AAA light, I may use it. Unless, of course, there is a store open which may have something else for sale....
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Had one back in the 80's---came free when you bought a 2-pack of Camel smokes and had the Camel logo on the side----carried it on the keychain for awhile till I got on a lightening the EDC load kick and it was one of the first useless items to go.

I think its out in the garage somewhere but don't recall actually seeing it for 5 or 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I own one, never use it; waste of batteries.

If, for some reason, all of my other AAA lights vanish or die, and I am desperate for a AAA light, I may use it. Unless, of course, there is a store open which may have something else for sale....
    yeah i lost my 2AAA led mini mag. it was my pocket carry light. wish i could find it

Flashaholic*

The solitaire is everything wrong with incan lights with none of the benefits
    When I bought one as my first EDC light, I was so dissapointed- a fauxton was cheaper, brighter, and lasted longer
    Low power with no "reflected" light? A zippo lighter puts out a better quality light

You guys are killin me! I had a Solitaire back in the day (mid-1990's) always on my keys. Back then, I don't recall a lot of other lights that were bright enough to get the job done, small enough to carry everywhere, and tough enough to survive. Of course there are a million better choices today, but IMHO, the Solitaire paved the way. Right now, my keychain light is a Fenix E01.

I was just thinking that I actually did like the UI of the Mag a little better - crank it down tight to turn off. It's sealed and good to go on your keychain or in your pocket. When you need it, you loosen it. The head of the Fenix E01 is loosened in your pocket, and tightened to turn on. I've had at least one light (Streamlight Nano) with that UI lose the head entirely and dump it and the batteries into my pocket. Now to be fair, the design of the Fenix is such that it's unlikely that the head will rotate entirely to come off during daily carry, but it's still one of the things that makes me appreciate the Mag design.
    Last edited by sween1911; 05-26-2015 at 06:56 AM.
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

Flashaholic*

Got two of them on my Swiss Army knife Swiss Champ kits.
    A friend carried one on us keychain for years till one day he broke the small ring off the body.
    I purchased a Led Lenser P3AFS for him and never looked back.
    Guess I'm going to have to look at the Klaris light to fill the Swiss Champ sheath hole.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

The Solitaire, like Maglites in general, definitely has a problem with contact resistance buildup in the light. Years ago I noticed that when a mini-mag or other mag was new, I was reasonably pleased with it, but then, after a while, even with new batteries and a new bulb, it just didn't seem as good. When I got my first "real" light--Arc AAA--and joined this forum, I actually took to doing the "maglite" test everytime I was at someone else's house and saw a maglite. I would grab it and turn it on. And almost without exception, the lights were dim and yellowy. Of course sometimes it was old batteries. Other times it was blackened bulbs, since the stock mag bulbs aren't halogens. But no matter what, eventually, without a lot of maintenance to the contact points (and there are a lot of them), they just . . . fade. There are a lot of bare aluminum to aluminum or steel or other metal joints.

The solitaire I owned ages and ages ago was no exception. Just faded. I even changed the bulb. No dice. And, as we all know, the light is pretty low output to begin with!

For preserving nightvision, a red LED light is much better than a dim incan any day in my opinion. And I used to teach astronomy lab and am still a sometime amateur astronomer. My light back when I taught astronomy lab was a mini-mag with the red plastic lens installed. And, as usual, I was reasonably happy with it at first. But a year later, not so much.

For a keychain light, single mode, low brightness for use with night adapted eyes, I always use my Arc AAA--or now, my McGizmo Sapphire GS. Granted, the Sapphire is a $150 light, though! LOL!

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Solitaire even for $5. But, I think this thread is cool and I definitely have no issues with or judgement to pass towards those who--for whatever reasons--recently bought one or more incan Solitaires! LOL! To each his or her own! Enjoy!
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Enlightened

Stumbling across this thread I remembered I had a Solitaire stashed in a box in my garage. Its been there unused and exposed to cold, damp and hi humidity conditions for at least 8 years. Anyway, I dug it out and switched it on just to see and was surprised to see it still worked with the original Duracell AAA that expired in 2009! The battery is still showing around 90% power on the powercheck surprisingly too....

I shall now have to find a use for it!

Flashaholic

Default Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

I use mine at least weekly... I love that It's single mode, so no mess ups/bright flashes when waking up early and trying to get dressed in the dark without waking my wife! I threw some diffusion film on it to help flood the beam and clean it up a bit. Yes I know there are better lights, but I love that ole Incan light color, love that it's made of metal, love that it's made in the USA, and love that it was $5... So I'm a fan! It works for my needs and was cheap!

Btw....Try using a single match for more than 10 mins... Tell me how it goes... I personally find them tough to hold as the flame reaches my finger tips and it gets a bit dark when it burns out

Haters... Hate away!
    Last edited by BloodCleanSoul; 05-05-2015 at 10:57 PM.

For Maglites smaller than 2AA, i generally get LEDs. But all my larger Maglites (2D,3D,3D,4D,5D,6D) are incandescent. I like the simplicity and classic appeal of an incandescent Maglite. Their the only flashlights I own. My main worklight (6D) is way more power than I would ever need. So, i don't really see the need for an LED. Happy lighting!

Might be better off hollowing out the Solitaire body and carrying matches inside.

J/k get a led Solitaire, $15 or so.

I just discovered the solitaire led, but kept the incan's hanging on the wall at various spots in my home for power outages. They'll likely be there for another-who-knows how many years.
    Wouldn't wanna have to read by them, but for finding the jar candles in darkness, or for dimly illuminating a photo...can't beat 'em.

I found led models in silver at amazon for $11. Ordered 4 (to make order over $35) and got zero cost to me shipping. Bought them as give-aways.
    John 3:16

I bought one three years ago, lost it, and absolutely don't care... The thing is so dim, you could barely find something in PITCH BLACK. There is literally no light output whatsoever...

I was dumb enough to buy an incandescent when I could have just ordered an LED. Why the hell would they even ship those things from the factory, or better yet, produce them at all? Of what use is a AAA penlight with like 2 lumen light output? It absolutely boggles my mind, why they would even produce them. And I hope they don't still sell them in stores. But why wouldn't they? They did three years ago, so I'm sure they still do.

Again, for what reason I have no idea. Huge black ring in the middle, already extremely low light output... Why would they all not just ship with LED's..?

Some people like 'em.

Obviously you're not one of them...but if they didn't continue to sell they'd be out of production.

Won't go into why I like 'em but I know several folks who find the LED light too bright for their taste.

The led versions are somewhat useful.
    They will slip in the side expansion pocket on a medium plus size Leatherman tool pouch.
    That's a bonus, nothing to cry over if lost/destroyed.

Ahhhhh, the warm glow of a pair of candles side by side from a flashlight...
    Chicks dig it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast