Maxtorch        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

Default Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

For some reason during the past week I've wanted to buy one of these old Solitaires... however, I don't want to spend my money on something as useless as this, but I do feel kinda nostalgic, lol. I used to have one for a short period of time, but the LEDs are of course so much better. I wonder if I'll be disappointed again if I buy one Maglite now or I'll like it, knowing I can't expect much from it.

So, do you still use your old Solitaires? If you post pictures, it would be great!
    ~ ~ ~ Why did God create the night? So that we can use our flashlights. ~ ~ ~

Default Re: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

"Flashaholic" and "stock Solitaire" don't go together in the same sentence. The notably smaller Klarus MiX5, with uses the even-smaller AAAA battery size, is five times brighter..

Flashaholic*

Hmmm....I once gave a pink one to my then three year old daughter...but she soon preferred my Zebra SC30 so I gave her one of those as well. Haven't seen that dim little pink light in a few years now.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFoxes III & IV, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

Flashaholic*

I can't say if you would be satisfied with an incandescent Solitaire. After all, the average match is bright by comparison. i would say that, if you want one for sentimental reasons, go ahead and buy one. They're not particularly expensive. But unless you are one of those folks who actually like moonlight modes, you might not find it to be the most useful light out there.
    Last edited by StorminMatt; 02-15-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Lol, comparing it to moonlight mode sounds about right

Well, yes, I like their appearance for some reason... I'll think a bit and decide if to spend my money on one or get just another Fenix E01. I've had an E01 before and then sold it.

Flashaholic*

Solitaire was my very first keychain light. I bought it around 1997-98 in my early flashoholism. I wanted quality flashlights instead of plastic 4AA and 4D lanterns: 6D, 2D, MiniMaglite 2AA and finally I got also Solitaire(All in black because swedish dealers usually sold only black Maglites). I used it a lot and remember it became worned. Don't know if I still have it somewhere. However I remember I was impressed by the brightness from such a small light, but yes; the runtime was very short and the brightness very fast declined... If I find it at a low price and a nice color, it may happen I buy it again, just for fun to compare to Fenix LD01...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    "Flashaholic" and "stock Solitaire" don't go together in the same sentence. The notably smaller Klarus MiX5, with uses the even-smaller AAAA battery size, is five times brighter..
    Yes, five times brighter and should last at least five times longer as well!

I recently dug up an old, well worn Solitaire in a former coworker's desk at work. Luckily there wasn't an alkaleak in it. I had crazy ideas to modernize it, but, finding a suitable driver that would fit that small diameter tube proved to be extremely difficult. It's now been modified into a spare AAA carrier, which is about as good as it's going to get from this thing.

There are just so many more awesome options in that format though; the Illuminati comes to mind, same size as the Solitaire but with 130+ lumens.

And just reiterating the insane size of the Klarus MiX5..

I imagine you will be so disappointed,they really are terrible and i am surprised you do not find them as a tatty gift in a Christmas cracker.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Oh, well. I guess I just need a cheap crappy keychain flashlight to use for a while... so that I convince myself and others that I need to spend MORE money on yet another proper light. Lol.

There are times when having a very dim yellow light is just what you want. I'm thinking of around the house, operating the remote control when watching tv in the dark or just finding the keyhole when you get home. The Solitaire is perfect for that. The Fenix E01 can be a bit too bright in the house and moonlight modes in more versatile torches are usually a bit of a faff to find. If you use rechargeables battery life isn't an issue.
    Three cheers for the incandescent Solitaire, then!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Boko View Post
    There are times when having a very dim yellow light is just what you want.
    The above mentioned lights have modes, and can be turned down to 2 lumens, about as bright as the Solitaire with a worn battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Boko View Post
    There are times when having a very dim yellow light is just what you want. I'm thinking of around the house, operating the remote control when watching tv in the dark or just finding the keyhole when you get home. The Solitaire is perfect for that. The Fenix E01 can be a bit too bright in the house and moonlight modes in more versatile torches are usually a bit of a faff to find. If you use rechargeables battery life isn't an issue.
    Three cheers for the incandescent Solitaire, then!

Paul
    Plenty of decent kit with super low lumens, no need to waste money on a museum exhibit like the baby Mag.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Plenty of decent kit with super low lumens, no need to waste money on a museum exhibit like the baby Mag.
    This is true about a good many lights. BUT, an incandescent Solitaire can still have its advantages. First of all, it has only two settings - off and, well, almost off. This is unlike more modern multimode lights, where you may have to find moonlight modes or go through brighter modes first. The advantage here is that night vision is better preserved. Secondly, a Solitaire can go places that more expensive lights can't. Who wants to ding up their nice, new SC52? But a Solitaire that costs less than $10? Not such a big deal.

Yeah, working with the remote at night and using the Solitaire when a seemingly low mode looks TOOMUCH is a good idea I also thought of the fact that hardly any lights start on Moonlight for this use and you have to go through modes to use it for such a simple thing as seeing the remote keys. And having rechargeables also makes the battery life problem much easier...

I'll see, the fact that the more I search online, the cheaper I find them, also tempts me.. Eventually, I may use the body as a nice pill tube as someone pointed out

I put a low-voltage red LED in a Solitaire along with an energizer Lithium AAA. I didn't take pictures (Couldn't take pictures) of the dim glow that resulted.

There is an impressive lux-to-lumen ratio in a stock Mag Lite Solitaire. Of course, anything-to-2 can be a high ratio...
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

I found that my incan Solitaire has been quite useful for middle of the night bathroom trips. I was using an led, but the warm glow of the incan light is easier on my eyes and turning it on is silent. Considering that my eyes are more night-adjusted, I can see pretty well with it. Plus I can hold it in my mouth like a cigarette if I need to.

I use the LED Solitaire as a backup EDC, and it is plenty bright for that.

Flashaholic*

Another thing that a Solitaire is useful for is nighttime photography. You don't exactly want an XM-L triple to do such things as check camera settings, mount lenses, or insert memory cards. Those two (or so) lumens are just what you need when looking at a camera up close in pitch darkness.

Flashaholic*

Speaking of Solitaires, I actually saw them yesterday at Target for $5.39. I haven't had a Solitaire in YEARS. After all this talk, I decided 'what the heck' and picked one up. I have to admit that it is a rather attractive light, especially in blue. If only better 1xAAA lights could have the same nice, clean lines! My Tank007 E09 is an ugly duckling by comparison. On the other hand, light output is as low as everyone says. Two lumens just isn't very much, after all. A quick ceiling bounce test revealed that a match truly DOES have the edge.

Last edited by StorminMatt; 02-18-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Haha, thanks for the picture ) I also like the looks of it a lot. I mean, something simple and sleek. Not so tactical-looking. I've had like 6-7 Fenix lights and I guess I'm tired of their tacticoolness... It would be cool to compare a regular Solitaire to my Oligh i3S, lol.

Or I might just try to find the LED version around here or wait for a chance to order from abroad..

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    I put a low-voltage red LED in a Solitaire along with an energizer Lithium AAA. I didn't take pictures (Couldn't take pictures) of the dim glow that resulted.

There is an impressive lux-to-lumen ratio in a stock Mag Lite Solitaire. Of course, anything-to-2 can be a high ratio...
    Funny you should mention this, because that's exactly what I'm considering doing - a straight swap of the incan bulb for a 1.5v red LED like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Red-LEDs...-/141032666581

I want a light to use that won't mess up my night vision, or disturb others, like when you drop something or need to rummage in your EDC kit in a movie theater, etc. I already carry a StreamLight Nano, but that's way too bright for some applications. Sometimes you just want to fly under the radar...

How practical was that in your estimation?

The original low lumen light. Way ahead of it's time! I just found mine about a week ago and went through it. Did everything I could and it is dim/yellow/pitiful. It works, but I can't EDC or even loan it to someone. I really do like maglites, but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by GotMak View Post
    Funny you should mention this, because that's exactly what I'm considering doing - a straight swap of the incan bulb for a 1.5v red LED like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Red-LEDs...-/141032666581
    You will need to widen the reflector hole with a 5mm LED. Search for Agilent or Everlight 3mm 45 degrees LED. Minimum forward voltage is 1.5V which gets around 10mA to the LED. You get about 20mA at 1.9V but I actually run one using two 1/2 AAA NiMH batteries. It's probably a bit too bright on two 1/2 AAA's.

I also have a 3mm warm white flat top scavenged from some Christmas lights and 3x 1/3 AAA NiMH. No specs on it but it ran with just 2 1/2 AAA's albeit not that bright.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Floppy View Post
    You will need to widen the reflector hole with a 5mm LED. Search for Agilent or Everlight 3mm 45 degrees LED. Minimum forward voltage is 1.5V which gets around 10mA to the LED. You get about 20mA at 1.9V but I actually run one using two 1/2 AAA NiMH batteries. It's probably a bit too bright on two 1/2 AAA's.

I also have a 3mm warm white flat top scavenged from some Christmas lights and 3x 1/3 AAA NiMH. No specs on it but it ran with just 2 1/2 AAA's albeit not that bright.
    How did the 1.5 v LED do on just the standard AAA battery? I'm trying to avoid going with anything more exotic than a AAA for this.

@GotMak:
    Not exactly what you were searching for, but I think this Solitaire mod is worth mentioning: Link
    It can go lower in output; and even though I am not sure this driver will work for a red LED (since it is boost), I am confident that there are suitable drivers too.
    There shall be light!

I once thought my decommissioned solitaire would be good to put matches in and would end up more useful in the amount of light put out by them
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

I still use Solitaires. They are a nice stealthy light that doesn't light up the entire room when you don't need or want it to. Everyone knows they are not meant to be pocket rockets.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by GotMak View Post
    How did the 1.5 v LED do on just the standard AAA battery? I'm trying to avoid going with anything more exotic than a AAA for this.
    It's OK but once the AAA drops under 1.5V, it will become a faint glow until, well pretty much no light really. Really, if you want to use a standard battery, you need an infrared LED, forward voltage is about 1.25V but that will depend on what you get (e.g. out of your old TV remote). Output will probably be enough for you to take "night" images from some digital/web cameras at close range.

I cringe every time I see an incan solitaire thread, because I know what's coming when someone mentions they occasionally enjoy using one for whatever reason. Strict zero tolerance policy on solitaire appreciation!

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    I cringe every time I see an incan solitaire thread, because I know what's coming when someone mentions they occasionally enjoy using one for whatever reason. Strict zero tolerance policy on solitaire appreciation!
    What's to appreciate? Honestly, a lit kitchen-match puts out more output than a M@glite Solitaire.... literally.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast