NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

Default Re: Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

Well, I can see and understand that. I think they'd be much much better if the beam profile were much smoother and had fewer artifacts and rings going on. Really, I wonder if an aspheric lens or TIR optic would help here.

I actually edc one in my front pocket as a back up light. I always have my D25a2 or E21 with me but keep the handy little solitare tucked in my front left pocket for back up duty. It has actually been useful many times. If I'm in a position I can't reach my main edc that is on my right side I use the solitare, if I happen to drop my main edc at night and it's not on, the solitare finds it, if I need to loan a light the solitare is there. Grant you there are many of new led lights the same size that are brighter/run longer/more modes but it's nice at times to have the color rendering of an incandescent available for things such as determining wire colors and paint colors not to mention as cheap as they are it's not a big deal if it gets lost or broke.

Might be better off hollowing out the Solitaire body and carrying matches inside.

J/k get a led Solitaire, $15 or so.

I just discovered the solitaire led, but kept the incan's hanging on the wall at various spots in my home for power outages. They'll likely be there for another-who-knows how many years.
    Wouldn't wanna have to read by them, but for finding the jar candles in darkness, or for dimly illuminating a photo...can't beat 'em.

I found led models in silver at amazon for $11. Ordered 4 (to make order over $35) and got zero cost to me shipping. Bought them as give-aways.
    John 3:16

I bought one three years ago, lost it, and absolutely don't care... The thing is so dim, you could barely find something in PITCH BLACK. There is literally no light output whatsoever...

I was dumb enough to buy an incandescent when I could have just ordered an LED. Why the hell would they even ship those things from the factory, or better yet, produce them at all? Of what use is a AAA penlight with like 2 lumen light output? It absolutely boggles my mind, why they would even produce them. And I hope they don't still sell them in stores. But why wouldn't they? They did three years ago, so I'm sure they still do.

Again, for what reason I have no idea. Huge black ring in the middle, already extremely low light output... Why would they all not just ship with LED's..?

Some people like 'em.

Obviously you're not one of them...but if they didn't continue to sell they'd be out of production.

Won't go into why I like 'em but I know several folks who find the LED light too bright for their taste.

The led versions are somewhat useful.
    They will slip in the side expansion pocket on a medium plus size Leatherman tool pouch.
    That's a bonus, nothing to cry over if lost/destroyed.

Ahhhhh, the warm glow of a pair of candles side by side from a flashlight...
    Chicks dig it.

I use the Mini Maglite. Mostly for camping, or in my EDC Bag. I have converted it to a 1w LED. I will shortly be using a pair of 14500 batteries to get a bit more brightness.

I just bought one of these Solitaires because it was a super cheap way to get some warm tint in my AAA collection. I didn't expect much but that beam is horrible; so full of artifacts and shadowing it's ridiculous. But I put one of those Maratac AAA diffusers on it and I gotta say I kinda like the soft, warm, moonlight-mule thing it has going on.

If you can find them Brinkmann 1aaa and Streamlight Key-Mate bulbs make the beam much nicer.

Solitaire vs Marquis.

No cat on the Marquis

2 rows of words on the Marquis.

Older Solitaires have 2 rows as well.
    ^^ Left is an old Solitaire

Anyway...

Nearly identical outside.

Different inside though.

Solitaire reflector is a little deeper

Beam is way different.

The Solitaire is all ringy and full of artifacts.
    Marquis has the look of a dandilion seed head. Kinda cool novelty.

Flashaholic

I have one as a keychain light
    My father bought it for me when he was visiting in new york few years ago
    It is very weak i think it is only 1 lumen so it dot has a lot of uses
    I am planning to buy a new keychain light soon
    But i have to say this flashlight is built very well i drop my keys a lot and it didn't do anything to it so it is pretty strong

I carry one on my key chain loaded with an energizer lithium. Some scotch tape over the lens creates a nice flood at turn on and a beautiful artifact free spot when focused. Really I love the warm light and find it completely adequate for walking around the house. I even used it today under a dash to look into a fuse box(mechanic) and it did the job. I might add that a deoxit treatment helps a bit too.

I still carry one attached with a small keyring to my EDC Schrade ST6C pocket knife (I also EDC an Ultrafire MiniCree LED.). I carry it because of it's low light output. The way I think if the light on my cell/MC is to bright or my cell/MC is gone, I'm all ready in deep enough crap I want to stay low key/ less light. I have multiple super bright LED lights in my ZJ, my GHB, and my BOB, but I keep one on as EDC and one in my Molle II Pocket, Medic SHTF pouch attached to the outside of my pack. I can grab the SHTF pouch off and EE and still have the bare essentials I need. If smoking a cigarette at night can get you spotted/shot from a mile away I'd rather keep my light output low in a SHTF scenario. Also worth noting, I had a Solitaire in my Alice pack stashed in my shed for 2 years with a cheap rayovac battery in it I had forgotten about. Even though everything else in the pack was mildewed/molded/corroded/ruined the Solitaire was not. It even still put off the not so bright yellow light with a 3 year old battery. That's one of the many reasons I still keep one as my EDC.

Enlightened

I think the main reason the incan Solitaire is so under-appreciated - aside from it's obvious low brightness - is that most people have only powered it with an alkaline battery, which only gives you about 10 minutes of decent output followed by 3 hours of almost nothing. Drop in an Eneloop battery and you get several hours of virtually regulated consistency. Granted, at 2 lumens, it's not your do-it-all pocket rocket (I use a Fenix LD01 for that).

The Solitaire is all about low-level usefulness (think moon mode) and the warm glow. Perfect for around the house or bedroom when you don't want to wake anyone up, or when you want the equivalent of a candle without the drawbacks. And if you diffuse the lens with some LDF or Scotch tape, it's pretty nice for book reading without bothering nearby sleepers. I've probably put hundreds of hours on these things. But you gotta use an NiMh battery like Sanyo Eneloop - it makes all the difference!

Flashaholic*

I love mine. Perfect for at night time to check on the kids. It's a softer light than an led and throws better than any led of that output

The Solitaire is my favourite small incan - after fitting the Xenon MiniMag bulb, spacer and LiFe battery. It now shines brighter than the MiniMag and has a nicer beam.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/msj1gs1ien...15648.jpg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    I love mine. Perfect for at night time to check on the kids. It's a softer light than an led and throws better than any led of that output
    I just got some Yuji 95 CRI, warm white, 5mm emitters that user lampedepeche was sharing.

The throw is not equivalent to a zoomed in Solitaire, but the softness of the tint really does compete with an incandescent.

A single AAA light with these emitters in it would make my nostalgia for my old Maglites obsolete. And if it were possible to get a 2-mode (6-8 lumens + firefly) LED update of the Solitaire with these emitters in it, with or without zoom, I'd probably forget LED classics like the Fenix E01 even existed.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Solitaire vs Marquis.

Sorry, but... ¿What is Marquis? does it a brand, or a solitaire clon, or a previous maglite? Is Marquis a Maglite?

I love the solitaire because it was the first keychain and well-built AAA light. And I like neutral-warms tints. I thought the solitaire was the only 1 x AAA incandescent flashlight, till I find a cheap chinesse 1 x AAA incan light in an online hardware store, it is a solitaire clon. I did not know the Marquis version, which I suppose is also a Maglite....

^^ the Marquis was the first solitaire.
    It was pulled from the shelves shortly after introduction due to a copyright thing.
    There was already a light called "marquis" at the time so Mag re-named it the Solitaire.

Not especially valuable because, well like the Solitaire it aint very bright. But it's certainly a prized possesion in a Maglite collectors quiver, along with an incan Streamlight Keymate and the Brinkmann Legend 1aaa.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-03-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Minimoog View Post
    The Solitaire is my favourite small incan - after fitting the Xenon MiniMag bulb, spacer and LiFe battery. It now shines brighter than the MiniMag and has a nicer beam.
    More info on this setup please

Stock incan Solitaire is fantastic if your eyes are dark adapted. If eyes are not dark adapted, it is the wrong tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimoog View Post

More info on this setup please
    Noctiluco nails it HERE

Blinding incan light (for dark adapted eyes) from a Solitaire!
    Works very well. Once you become accustomed to how to get the most out of Mag lamps, you always get at least 4 hours out of them before they burn out, sometimes twice that. These fragile incan lamps last longer if you avoid brief instances of use. When you use it, leave it on for at least 30 seconds, or just leave it on until you see the knee of the LiFePO4 discharge curve (about 20 mins of practical use available followed by cell overdischarge and low light... stop using to save your cells, rest them, and recharge).

Note: Don't forget the little ring around the lamp base. Good luck finding something so tiny, but it is essential to allow the light to be switched off and to prevent the lamp from melting a hole in the lens.
    Last edited by chillinn; 12-04-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Flashaholic*

That's really neat thanks. Curious has the 2xAAA bulb been tried. I think it's a little smaller and may work without the need of spacers

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    Stock incan Solitaire is fantastic if your eyes are dark adapted. If eyes are not dark adapted, it is the wrong tool for the job.

Yup, once upon a time it used to get dark after sundown. Back then the Solitaire was a supurb keychain light.

These days with the eternal generator powering all those free lumens things are quite different. But you get away from the city to a place where you pull your ball cap brim down to shield your eyes on a full moon night that little light still relevant.

Flashaholic

Thanks bykfixer for the info about marquis/solitaire - Brinkmann - Keymate.

I believe that the humble solitaire was a pioneer, opening the way for reliable and quality keychain lights, and for that reason it deserves a place in the history of flashlights and in any collection worthy.

Pics of the (black) chinesse clon:

Unenlightened

I love my Solitaire. Here's some pics

(used battery)

all of the wear on the light wasn't from me

Flashaholic

WOW! A very used incandescent flashlight, nice patina

Flashaholic*

WhiteBat, your light is worth way more in function than in pennies. I love that! I used to have a well worn Solitaire back in the 80's and 90's that I wish I still had.

The Solitaire incans are great lights for dark adapted eyes and when you don't want to make a bunch of spill light. The 36 or so lumen LED Solitaires are a very good value for a practical light as well. I bet they'll bump them up to near 60 lumens in the next few years.
    Last edited by ampdude; 12-13-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    ampdude

Long live the Solitaire!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast