Model Railroads/Railways

Lawrence61

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys
sorry, another noob here :shakehead just wondered if there were any Model Railroads/Railways guys on here and what there interests were.
Being from Scotland, obviously I am building a Japanese layout and a Baltimore & Ohio layout (in the future) :eek:, never having been to Japan and never having got to Ohio, it has been quite a learning curve.
Just wondered if there were any more of you out there.
Cheers
Lawrence

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I haven't had the space or time or money so far to build a layout but I have a nice collection of HO trains. My interests tend to be the stuff we have here in the Northeast US, such as EMUs and the electrified portions of Amtrak, although I like any type of railroading-electrified lines in particular. I have 4 Atlas AEMs (undecorated) and one ALP-44 (also undecorated), about 20 Amfleets, many other passenger cars, several Bachmann Metroliners, and loads of diesel locomotives and freight cars ( the latter courtesy of my late father ). I also have a good number of small buildings from a small layout we once had. Being an electronics engineer, I've made my own train controls and passenger car lights ( both of which I hope to eventually sell in small numbers to other train hobbyists ). I'm glad to see another fellow model train hobbyist here.

I'm also seriously into virtual railroading. I'm a member of the design team of Open Rails, but I haven't contributed much for the past year on account of being busy. So-called "scale V" is great for people who are short time or money to build a real model layout. It's also a great complementary hobby for those who already have layouts.

Lawrence61

Newly Enlightened
I am modelling in N scale jtr, there is always a good market for efficient lighting systems for locos and coaches although many of the modern locos come with some excellent lighting setups, even including ditch lighting. One of the big bugbears is for flicker free lighting for older coaches and locos on DC systems, much of the modern stuff is running DCC now with light and sound boards fitted, there are solutions out there but there is no one best affordable option at the moment.

StarHalo those Centennials were a lot of loco! I would think you would need quite large radii curves to run them on a layout and I don't have that sort of room unfortunately