Unprepared!

georget98

Enlightened
Several years ago I wrote a list titled "You May Be a Flashaholic"

One of the items was "You spend 15 minutes trying to choose lights for a day at the beach."

Last week I packed for a week on the beach in Turks and Caicos and not wanting to look like the geeky flashaholic that I am, I only packed my FourSevens MLR2. Not only one light, but also no spare batteries as well because the TSA frowns upon uninstalled lithium primary cells AND I packed it deep in my bag.

Between an "indicator malfunction", broken tow bar, slow to arrive mechanic, and taking 15 minutes to taxi to a runway that seemed to be in another state, we took off from Boston 2 hours late, missed our connecting flight, and eventually arrived in Providentiales at 8:30 pm instead of 2:30 pm.

We picked up our rental car in a very poorly lit parking lot and could barely see to load our luggage. My light was packed and it turned out my friend's Thrunite TiS was in her bag, too.

We found our hotel, unloaded the car in the dark, got to our room and all seemed right with the world. We unpacked our flashlights and ended up having to use them to read in bed because the table lamp didn't work and the hotel office was closed.

"Having a wonderful time, wish you were here," and so it went until Sunday afternoon when the power went out on the entire island! (Fire at the generating station, technician and parts had to be flown in)

I was surprised at how many other guests had flashlights and I only saw one incandescent light in the bunch. I was glad I had chosen my MLR2 with it's 3 brightness levels, some people didn't look too happy trying to read on their balconies with 100 lumen lights. The people next to us were very impressed with the nice illumination of the MLR2 under a styrofoam cup. There were a few candles and also people trying to find their way with cell phone displays.

The MLR2 definitely, in my opinion, had the warmest tint of all the LEDs and was probably the brightest light there. But I really wished I had brought my FourSevens Atom ALR2 with it's extremely useful 5 lumen low setting.

Later that night my friend's TiS went dark and I remembered I never packed the spare batteries I had meant to take. I scrounged an AAA from a small radio I had remembered.

Monday afternoon, 29 hours later, power was restored.

Lesson learned, choosing lights for a day at the beach is serious stuff.

nbp

Flashaholic
Fantastic story, thanks for posting!

Just goes to show, you never know what you may run into, and two is one and one is none. :)

buds224

Enlightened
What about lithium primaries still sealed in original packaging like SF123 two-packs? TSAstill doesn't like them?

I traveled internationally with a x12 pack of streamlight CR123's in it's original package without any problems. I believe their official page states that properly stored batteries are fine.

georget98

Enlightened
I don't know for sure. The only spares i had on hand were in a baggie from FourSevens. They are individually plastic wrapped but who wants to try explaining conductors and insulators when all you want to do is get on the plane.

If i really believed I'd need spares I would have brought AA/AAA lights and an unopened pack of Duracells.

Now I know I need spares...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice....

Your MLR2 is a wide voltage 47's head.... Just carry a small piece of MacGyver tinfoil in your wallet, and you can scavenge the AAs and AAAs from the room's TV remotes for use with your light (just using the head) :D.

nbp

Flashaholic
BTW, you can bring lithium primaries on planes without problems but they need to be in your carry-on vs. in your checked bag. I have done this many times.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story! And yes, I agree that the TSA doesn't give you trouble if they are packed well. I'm glad that you had a light despite having no spare batteries!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, you can bring lithium primaries on planes without problems but they need to be in your carry-on vs. in your checked bag. I have done this many times.

This.

I travel with 6 primaries in my surefire SC1. Never even had to take it out for TSA or their international equivalents.

Great story. Always bring a spare.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also a great argument for keeping a couple of "low powered" alkaline lights around, just in case.

The Fenix E01 being a perennial favorite. :D

Thanks for the story!

mbw_151

Enlightened
I find it easier to use an Quark 2AA as a spares carrier. This provides a spare battery for both my 1AA Quark and my Zebra headlamp. Yeah it's 3 lights, but they are all small.....

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, sounds like a good reason to have a Surefire spares carrier and/or an AA-based light for airline travel.