wasn't expecting this

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasn\'t expecting this

Well, after a little success on my fund raiser and a surprise (Thanks to you-know-who-you-are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif) I managed to get my first Arc LSL with 2AA battery holder & Arc pouch.

First, let me add my praise of the fine workmanship of this product to everyone else's accolades. Very nice! I love the size, heft, feel & looks of my first Arc LS.

However, I'm a bit bummed.
My LSL (I know it's not a LSP, but still) is even more purple than my most purple LS LED so far, my KL1.

Should I exchange it and take my chances by spinning the LL (Luxeon Lottery) wheel again?

Or, would I be better off contacting one of our resident mod gurus about swapping the LED?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: wasn\'t expecting this

If I had the cash and it was too purple for my tastes I would have one of our modders swap or mod yours If bucks are an issue call ARC and ask them about a swap for a whiter one. I am guessing you just happened to lose in the luxeon lottery that spin.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

why do you say that?
I don't think I have the skills to do it myself...kinda nervous about screwing up the light, I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LightScene

Enlightened

I also just received an Arc LSL, and it is also annoyingly purple. Based onbeamshots I had seen, I expected it to be greenish.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
i think you're better off replacing the luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
for a couple reasons.
since these are the LSL's, none of them will have color as nice as you could find by purchasing your own luxeon to replace it.. and i'm sure someone would do it free of charge, or @ least @ a very low cost, this is CPF!

another reason, i don't think there are any LSL's left, and if there were i'd hate to have Mr. Gransee looking thru them to find the whitest one..
you might as well get a nice bin luxeon and swap it.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
since these are the LSL's, none of them will have color as nice as you could find by purchasing your own luxeon to replace it.. and i'm sure someone would do it free of charge, or @ least @ a very low cost, this is CPF!

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are YOU volunteering to do the mod for free? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
another reason, i don't think there are any LSL's left, and if there were i'd hate to have Mr. Gransee looking thru them to find the whitest one..you might as well get a nice bin luxeon and swap it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that as well. I suspect that will the high demand for the LSL special, he probably is short on inventory (if he has any left at all) and then who knows how long it would take to get a replacement...

stockwiz

Enlightened

I'm just glad mine isn't green, because my illumalux low dome had the most annoying yellow green hue to it, but since the luxeon star module in it is so easy to replace (just take it out, and pop another one in), I decided to experiement with a different color luxeon star for fun.

My Arc LSL-S has a pretty good color... just a slight purple hue in the spot with the sidespill being white. It's no high dome, but I knew I'd be playing the lottery with little chance for exchanging it afterwards... I think I won for the most part.

I'd mod it but the beam is satisfactory if not good, but I'm sure there are members here who would do it for you for low to no cost outside of shipping.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine thankfully isn't green, just purple.
More purple than my KL1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are YOU volunteering to do the mod for free? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
unfortunately, i'm not a modder.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif i donate parts to modders, but i don't have any tools or experience. we're in the same boat.. (the S.S. Don't Dare)
i was volunteering someone else, with noone in particular in mind, *lol*

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

The purple tint is pretty standard for the LSLs. I've had three, and all were purple. Considering what you paid for the light, I still think you (and everyone) got an excellent value for your money. Low domes are a dying breed and you can't really compare them to the much improved (and reasonably priced) LEDs that are now widely available.

I too would look into replacing the LED with something better. Even with the cost of the part and some labor, you will end up with a cutting-edge Arc LS for far less than the cost of a factory LSH-P.

I personally wouldn't feel right returning one of these to Arc in the hopes of getting something with less color. Peter has already given you (and everyone who got one) more than your money's worth.

Just my opinion of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris,

Yeah, I didn't know how purple my LSL was until I upgraded to a High dome. Now that's nice! Still, at on the order of 50% of the cost of an LSH-S, with a 2AA pack thrown in, it's a really good deal.

That said, if you feel dissatisfied, take advantage of Arc's satisfaction guarantee, and keep saving you pennies for a high dome. As the release date of the LS4 approaches, I think you may see more and more LSH's appear on B/S/T and possibly a sale on them from Arc itself. And there is a noticeable difference in tint quality between high and low dome. Or you could keep the LSL with the intention of using it as a backup light of some sort, glove box, tool box, wife's/girlfriends light, etc.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

and btw, what's a little tint in the outside world? not important at all, and you got the benefits of a LD beam, as Peter said, a dying breed, unfortunately. IMHO for low-power lights like the Arc the LD is better since it puts out an even big flood that covers the enviroment quite well. just my 0.02 EUR
bernhard

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really like the flood of the low domes too, but I have become somewhat spoiled for a nice white beam. Too bad that you can't seem to have them both with the LDs. The tint really doesn't make that much difference for most usage, but I do prefer a nice white LS for the accurate color rendition that it provides.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.