S200C2 eagletac modding?

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i have the eagletac S200C2 with the neutral XML2 led :+-30.000lux, works fine.
I wanted to change the led with a XPG2 led for more throw, when i do this i have more lux in the second level than in the third(max) level, because the led changes color(white to white-blue) within 1 second (and lux goes down), when i go back to second level , i have again more lux and white color?
I measured amp drawing at the battery (18650/3100mA/protected) and have +-2400mA (so i think +-3000mA at the led?)
Is this to much for the XPG2 (is mounted on the original aluminium star)?

Thanks Marc

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
That color change from white to white-blue would be your LED frying itself. Been there, seen that before. You are probably switching it off fast enough before it completely kills itself, but your LED life will be seriously degraded. You are best off switching back to a XML2 LED in this light and then go fins another light with the throw you need.

I just checked eagletac's website and they are claiming over 1100 LED lumens. That means they are pushing this light HARD. Way too hard for a XPG2.

The reflector looks a size and lux are all very close to my G25C2 and I think it's one of the best all around lights for it's size with plenty of throw while still maintaining a nice bit of light in the corona and flood.

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
I also have the SX25A6 (same head and +-lux as the S200C2) and a MX25L2 with SBT 70 and turbo head for insane throw.
Just want to mod this one for more throw . (its a hobby haha!)
Already tried dedoming the XML2 but it become to yellow for me.
Some guys here push 4amps in a XPG2 if i am right? (maybe i can tune down the convertor?)

Greetings Marc

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured you were just playing........

Try using a copper mPCB and you may have better luck. You will need something that will pull the heat away fast and a solid heat path on the light. I am sure there are other's who can give more suggestions with pushing the limits.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
FYI the S200C2 uses a C3000 TS circuit (3A drive current). A XP-G2 can handle 3+ amps fine assuming it is mounted on a copper mcpcb without a dielectric layer such as a sinkpad or noctigon. A aluminum mcpcb is usually only good up to the "safe" maximum current specified by the manufacturer; in this case 1.5A.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Noctigon XPG copper mPCBs and neutral XP-G2 LEDs in a R5-5C1 tint (~4000k). Cover my costs and shipping and I can put one together for you. PM me if interested.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am running a XP-G2 on a copper Noctigon board at around 3 amps with no problems. Aluminum MCPCB with dielectric layer will not transfer the heat fast enough and you will :poof: your LED. Get a XP-G2 Noctigon copper MCPCB from Intl-Outdoor and use a good, thin layer of thermal paste and you will be good to go.

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
The XPG2 copper noctigon arrived : i dedomed it, now i have 30000lux at 1 meter and 3750lux at 4meter= 60000lux/1meter ! Nice!
Greetings Marc

WhitedragonBC

Newly Enlightened
Thinking about doing this same mod to my T200C2. How hard was it to get the pill out of the head? Looks like it unscrews out the back; was it glued?

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Is this not weird : with the Original XML 2 i have +-30.000lux and with the XPG 2 (not dedomed) i also have +-30.000 lux : shoud that be not higher????
Ofcourse when i dedome the xpg2 i have +-60.000lux , maybe if i dedome the XML2 also???
Greetings Marc

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Is this not weird : with the Original XML 2 i have +-30.000lux and with the XPG 2 (not dedomed) i also have +-30.000 lux : shoud that be not higher????
Ofcourse when i dedome the xpg2 i have +-60.000lux , maybe if i dedome the XML2 also???
Greetings Marc

Sometimes, the variables are at play.

The lux is the lumens per square meter, so, if you have double the lumens, and the same beam shape, you can doube the cd of the light...which can help an XML2 throw as hard as an XPG2, etc....but, the XPG2 doesn't produce the same beam shape, the beam is typically tighter, so, the smaller number of lumens is concentrated into a smaller square meter surface, increasing the cd.

Depending upon how you positioned the DEPTH and alignment of the XPG2, you can optimize it to out throw the stronger XML2...otherwise, not. The XML2 can typically be driven harder than the XPG2, so the reduction in juice then drops the relative XPG2 output to preserve it, etc.

Vinh for example modded an S200C2 to ~ 122,000 cd, far above your performance.

Of course, depending upon HOW you measured the cd, your real throw might be higher....how did you measure it?

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
I measured it at 4 meters : the XML 2 NW (Original) is +-2000 x 16 = 32.000 lux and the modded XPG 2 CW (noctigon) is +- 2100 x 16 = 33.600 lux .
These are measured on the same high (3Amp) setting of the light.
Maybe the alignment of the reflector is not good for a XPG 2 ?

I just tried dedoming the XML 2 now i have : 3500 x 16 = 56.000 lux (nice almost double the lux by dedoming) (do not like tint : yellow) BUT my XPG 2 is almost the same lux : 60.000 doesnt that be alot higher with the amp drawing?

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I measured it at 4 meters : the XML 2 NW (Original) is +-2000 x 16 = 32.000 lux and the modded XPG 2 CW (noctigon) is +- 2100 x 16 = 33.600 lux .
These are measured on the same high (3Amp) setting of the light.
Maybe the alignment of the reflector is not good for a XPG 2 ?

I just tried dedoming the XML 2 now i have : 3500 x 16 = 56.000 lux (nice almost double the lux by dedoming) (do not like tint : yellow) BUT my XPG 2 is almost the same lux : 60.000 doesnt that be alot higher with the amp drawing?

Try it at 15 meters.

:D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If i measure at 8 meters do i have to do x 64 to have the lux? (dont have the space to measure at 16meters)

Just measure at at the longest distance you can, and report the actual lux at the actual range. (Any range, doesn't need to be a multiple of 4, etc)

We can calculate the cd from there, for you.

:D

The REASON to get as far away as possible, is that for stronger throwers, less than 10 meters is almost never far enough for the beam to be fully formed....so as far past 10 meters as possible gives the most accurate results.