xre r2 tiablo a9 dome fell off, re-glue?

skyva

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a tiablo a9 with a xre r2 emitter. I have been using it with a red filter, and recently the tiny emitter dome fell off inside the head. The led still works but I was wondering whether I can re-glue it back on carefully. I have ordered some arctic silver thermal epoxy adhesive to do it but unsure as to the best way to go about it. I want the torch to remain tightly focussed as I use it on an air rifle for night time hunting. The air rifle has a bit of recoil so I must be shaking bits off.

Any help appreciated.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try gluing with optical glue (not arctic Silver). But given how cheap emitters are, it's probably better and cheaper to just buy a replacement emitter. Perhaps replace it with an XPE2, which would also have higher output.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Replace it with an XP-E red led :)
it will be more efficient than white led + red filter.

skyva

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, I have been trying to fix it. It seems the dome was attached by a silicon paste, and it goes back on fine. The only problem is that after running it a bit the output is way less. I cleaned some residue from inside the head: reflector and lens, and it is a bit better but I suspect that whatever was used to attach the dome as spread onto the emitter and vaporized inside the dome, causing reduced output.

Where would I find a XP-E red led or XP-E2 that will fit? I do not want to try de-soldering unless it is a last resort. I don't need huge amount of output, as I use it to hunt rabbits to range only needs to be 50 yards, but red. I have a red filter so white is fine as well.

Thanks

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Belatedly, as I found this after I had a dome fall off one of my own LEDs just recently

> Where would I find a XP-E red led or XP-E2 that will fit?

I don't know exactly what's in your flashlight, but

https://www.google.com/search?q=red+XPE

then narrow it down. I know fasttech and illumn offer them on 16mm and 20mm boards so all you need to do is swap the wires and add a tiny bit of thermal transfer stuff, either the tape or the goop will work.