Surefire EB2 vs Surefure E2D: which is better for which use? Which is better overall?

rsgort

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think?

What are the main differences between these lights?

Why does the E2D seem to get so much more attention?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are 2 types of EB2. difference being its UI. Clicky and tactical designated by either a "C" or "T".
the EB2-T is more of a successor to the LX2. dual-stage momentary UI.

the EB2-C and E2DL ultra have the same UI. high/low modes using a forward clicky.
of those 2, i like the E2D more because it has knurling and a flared tailcap for better grip. its tailcap and body tail threads are unchanged so there are more lego options as well. some dont like its aggressive bezel, but i have the older E2DL, and its never bothered me since i carry it bezel up.

carrot

Flashaholic
The E2DL Ultra came out before the EB2. In fact, it came out before most of us knew that the EB2 would even exist. When the EB2 came out, it was basically "like the E2DLU, but with some differences," so it did not make as big of a splash.

Those differences are:
- E2DL is shorter
- E2DL has spiky crenellations
- EB2 is longer
- EB2 can be clicky (pro/outdoorsman style) or 2-stage twisty (tactical/aviator style)
- EB2 is sleek, E2DL is knurled

To me there's not that big of a difference unless you want the twisty EB2. The clicky version is nearly identical. If you wear slacks, the EB2 will have the edge, as the lack of knurling and crenellations will not tear up pants. If you want something a little more defense-oriented get the E2DLU.

I have the E2DLU. I chose it because I could get it cheaper. To me, the small differences do not matter one way or another -- both are Surefires, both have the same lens and same regulator, and either would suit my needs.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E2DL Ultra and want the EB2 Tactical because I prefer the two stage switch better than the clickie switch but I also like knurling better than a smooth finish so I'm stuck. :(