Fenix TK22 Special Edition (XM-L2 T6) Review/Comparison

radiopej

Enlightened
Fenix has a neutral white edition of their TK22. It should be noted that the XM-L2 T6 bin is classified by Cree as within the cool white range, but it's a pretty neutral tint that Fenix calls neutral white.

The structure of the torch is pretty much the same as the TK22 cool white version that has been covered in a review already, so I won't really go much into that. The difference here is that the torch is "Military Grey". The importance should not be understated for one very simple reason - my girlfriend actually likes this torch and has named it "Stark". I was worried I would hate the look on arrival, but there's something very much Iron Man-like about it, hence the name she gave it. The tail can make it slightly annoying to turn on if held at the wrong angle.

I decided to put up this review after seeing somebody as about TK22 vs PD32 UE. Accordingly, that's what I compared it to with outside beamshots. Here is a size comparison

Another comparison, this time in a fist. I have small hands :(

Outdoor beamshots at around 8 metres, hotspot view at 1-2 metres and then a shot into trees (~10 metres). The hotspot on the TK22 in the trees seemed brighter in real life.

Some nice greenery to compare tints.

Overall, I love the new TK22 T6. It hasn't replaced my PD32 UE in my backpack due to size, but is now my bedside table torch. I thought I'd get more throw out of it than I did, but that didn't happen. It definitely out-throws the PD32 UE, though the focused hot spot may not be suitable for all tasks. For walking the dog or other activities that require closer focus, get a PD32 UE. If you want a bit of throw to see what's off in the distance and smack things that jump at you, go the TK22. Both have enough spill and throw as bedside table light for general backyard investigations.

I've also got a video up on YouTube under RadioPej.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and beamshots! I have both these lights and they are great. Unfortunately PD32UE is discontinued and replaced by PD35 which is slightly brighter but with cool white tint. PD35 hardly qualifies to be called a true successor because it has no true improvement.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. The pd32 seems to have a dead center spot by comparison, though unfair comparison obviously because of the head size.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your review! This is exactly what I've been hoping someone would do. I have the PD32UE and have been eyeing up this light for a while. I'm still torn on buying it, but this clears some things up.

I guess as an EDC I might just stick with the PD32UE, but there's still a possibility of picking up the TK22 SE for backpacking.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
I have to say that the grey tk22 is my favorite flashlight at the moment, just a great all rounder. Not a edc but great for just about everything else and the tint is really nice. Highly recommended, and preferred by me over the pd32ue dueto preferable spot/spill/throw characteristics. Imho the pd32ue is too big for edc, i use the eagletac d25lc2 clicky with nichia 219 for that and the tk22 for walks and everything else.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review and beamshots! I have both these lights and they are great. Unfortunately PD32UE is discontinued and replaced by PD35 which is slightly brighter but with cool white tint. PD35 hardly qualifies to be called a true successor because it has no true improvement.

True, but the PD35 was a successor to the PD32 not the PD32UE since the PD32UE was a limited edtion light. If only Fenix decides to make a PD35UE with neutral white.

radiopej

Enlightened
Ragnarok - I hope not. I'd realllllly want one then and my girlfriend has made it absolutely clear that I am to buy no more torches until I graduate :(

radiopej

Enlightened
Leon, the hotspot on the 32 is pretty huge, so it may be harder to differentiate in the photos. It seems like the hotspot is almost the size of the main spill area from the 22.

As an additional thing I've noticed, the 32 would be preferable for taking bins out at night. The hotspot and throw from the 22 are slightly too small to just point at the ground.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review! The head on the TK22 looks bigger "in person" when you're holding it. Definitely liking the tan anodizing!

And I sound like a broken record, but I love the PD32UE even more after seeing more beam shots of it.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has a neutral white edition of their TK22. It should be noted that the XM-L2 T6 bin is classified by Cree as within the cool white range, but it's a pretty neutral tint that Fenix calls neutral white.
T6 is a efficiency bin and it has almost nothing to do with the tint. There can be both cool and neutral white XM-L2 T6.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
T6 is a efficiency bin and it has almost nothing to do with the tint. There can be both cool and neutral white XM-L2 T6.

If you download CREE's own datasheet from this page, it shows the T6 as exclusively available in cool white, with a MINIMUM of 5000K specified as part of the bin.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from, but it seems to me that CREE should know better than anyone else. And they do show T6 as a cool white, and only a cool white.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last updated: 25 Jul 2013. Now you can get T6 in 4x neutral tint.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last updated: 25 Jul 2013. Now you can get T6 in 4x neutral tint.

Looked some more. In the "XM Family Binning and Labeling" PDF (last updated 2012), it does show XM-L and XM-L2 T6 emitters in both cool and neutral white. But in the dedicated XM-L2 datasheet, it lists T6 as cool white only (updated 2013). No wonder there is confusion. The T6 bin CCT can vary from 5000K to 6500K. So at the lower temp, you could call it neutral white. And at the high end (6500K) it is definitely a cool white. So we were both partly right. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

ven

Flashaholic
Looked some more. In the "XM Family Binning and Labeling" PDF (last updated 2012), it does show XM-L and XM-L2 T6 emitters in both cool and neutral white. But in the dedicated XM-L2 datasheet, it lists T6 as cool white only (updated 2013). No wonder there is confusion. The T6 bin CCT can vary from 5000K to 6500K. So at the lower temp, you could call it neutral white. And at the high end (6500K) it is definitely a cool white. So we were both partly right. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

+1
and thanks doc for explaining it so well:thumbsup:

Nice review,thanks :)

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
4C bin, which is available in T6, is 4300-4500K (TK22 SE probably has one) so it's definitely neutral white, not just warmer cool white. XM-L2 datasheet hasn't been uptaded for almost a year and it's a little bit dated now.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not I got TK22 SE in my hands I think it has 3A or 3B tint. Spill is slightly cooler (and pink-ish, probably due to purple AR coating) than Solarstorm SC02 with XM-L 3C inside.

From L to R: Nitecore SRT7, Solarstorm SC02 XM-L 3C, TK22 SE:
j9yi2r.jpg

Danielsan

Enlightened
This special edition in that color is very appealing to me, much better then the black version. I nearly bought it some months ago, i think when i see it on sale somewhere i have to buy it. The tint is also nice.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting on TK22 2014 Ultimate Edition say 1150 lumens. Love my 2014 TK22 it is one of the best Fenix lights I have had and I have had several. The beam on this thing is near perfect! My 2014 copy has a more neutral tint vs my other lights

magicstone12

Banned
Waiting on TK22 2014 Ultimate Edition say 1150 lumens. Love my 2014 TK22 it is one of the best Fenix lights I have had and I have had several. The beam on this thing is near perfect! My 2014 copy has a more neutral tint vs my other lights

TK22 2014 Ultimate Edition, 1150 lumens?How do you know this?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly, 2014 edition has 1000 lumens, on 2xCR123 only (won't achieve full power on 1x18650). Lower modes are also brighter (with less runtime) which is not a good thing.