FIRST POST! XT11 battery question

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks! First time posting here. I have been reading the forum for a few months and have slowly picked up a few lights based off of reviews and recommendations. So far I have a Fenix E01, Fenix E35, and a Klarus XT11 upgrade. Love them all. I have been having a recent issue with the XT11 where the light will start to flicker when in the low mode. When I unscrew the head a tiny bit, the flickering stops. I just read a post where someone was saying that protected 18650 batteries can be a bit long for this flashlight with the dual springs inside. Could this be what the problem is? I am using a protected Eagletac 18650 3400 battery. Thanks for the help. Love the forum!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, maybe your driver/contact PCB is loose in the head. I'm honestly not sure. the XT11 is great stuff, but that sounds odd what you're describing. have you found out anything new since my post right now and when you made this thread?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard anything from anyone so I exchanged it for a new XT11 through Amazon. SAME THING HAPPENS!! Light starts to flicker in the low mode. The 3400 Eagletacs are the only batteries I have for the light, but they are rated very highly. Going Gear sells XT11 bundled with these batteries and that's why I ended up choosing them. If I can't figure something out I'm going to send them both back and stick to my PD32 G2 which is flawless. This sucks because I love the look and feel of the XT11 in hand. Wish more folks would chime in on this with some advice. Thanks again.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used my XT11 with the ET 3400 in the past and didn't have such problem. Try with other 18650s but it could be the light. The ET 3400 is kinda short too for a protected 18650.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Don't having problems with using a ET 18650 at all. For what I know, ET 18650 are one of the shortest protected 18650 out here.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two Defective XT11 lights in a row!

Thread merge, please see rule 9 - Norm

I have a post in the battery forum about this but I thought I would post something here. I received an XT11 upgraded version a few weeks ago which I liked. The spinning tac ring was an annoyance and a design flaw I feel, but other than that I liked the light. A few weeks in the light began to flicker every time it was put on the low mode. No matter what I tried, flickering on low. Would not stay on. I am using Eagletac 3400 18650 batteries which are highly regarded and sold in bundles with this light online. Contacted Amazon and they said send it back for a new one. Received the new one.....same thing happens. Contacted Klarus warranty dept. who didn't seem too concerned and just said ship it back to Amazon. Most people seem to be happy with their XT11 lights so maybe there is an issue with this batch of lights. I wanted to like this light so badly but at this point I don't trust Klarus' quality control. Disappointed for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Two Defective XT11 lights in a row!

Sorry to hear that. Was the flickering bad or just barely noticeable? It could be just a bad case of PWM.
They probably wasted time designing a new striking bazel - wow - instead of focusing in making the new XT11 work fine.
Maybe you should get a Surefire Fury: more expensive but more reliable and with real customer service!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was very noticeable and very obvious that something wasn't working properly. Right now I will stick with my PD32 and also the little E01 which has already taken quite a beating and works perfectly. A LOT to be said for reliability and simplicity I suppose.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just tried my XT11 XM-L U2 with my EagleTac 3400 mAh: no flickering at any level!

My EagleTac was actually in my XT10 and I switched off it was flickering and not always lighting. I remembered it had taken a nasty fall so I thought something was wrong: I tried the XT11 switch on it (they are interchangeable) and it worked fine! I had to take the XT10 switch apart and put it back together because the push button had become loose, I suppose because of the fall. All working fine now.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

A quick update. I decided to send the first xt11 and hold on to the second to see if the problem would persist. Happy to say that for whatever reason the flickering on low mode has pretty much stopped. No idea why as I haven't changed anything. Strange but I'm happy because like I said before I love the light. Thanks to everyone that chimed in and tried to help out!
edit
2nd one sent back as well. Back to flickering like crazy. Looking at xt2c hoping I can have a good experience like so many others with Klarus.

Last edited: