Uses for an IR torch?

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
I have had a look on wiki under IR application and can see there are many useful ways in which to utilise IR light but I am failing to see were it could be useful in a torch? What are the uses of a IR torch. (As IR seopings are generally low powered I can't see many uses)

The only reason I can think of would be is you are a member of the armed forces and have some night vision equipment then this could argument that so you could see your targets but they won't be able to see as its not viable light.

The reason I am asking is I have see the IR droppings from solarforce, and have been thinking of building a UV and a IR torch but as of yet can't think of a excuse to do it...haha.

Thanks for reading.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason I can think of would be is you are a member of the armed forces and have some night vision equipment then this could argument that so you could see your targets but they won't be able to see as its not viable light.
That's precisely what they're for.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bingo. Although, conceivably, you might want an IR light to test IR sensors.

Still, hyper-specialized and not of much conventional use.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you want to light an area at night for your camera to capture and be discreet without using a flash. Want to hunt some cockroaches?

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Thanks all, seems I was fairly correct then, unless your into night photography or photography in general or plan on running a sneaky night operation (whether that be against a forigen threat or just sneaking to the cookie jar at midnight hehe)

Then there's not much practical use for them for Joe blogs anyways then.

Still gonna look into a UV build seem like there's a lot more uses for UV.

Thank all.