Quark Tactical QTA

j-star

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, first post here at CPF. I am looking at the Foursevens Quark QTA, which runs on 1AA. My question is, will this light run on 3.7v 14500?
Thanks for Help-

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Works great with 3V CRAAs too (same as CR123s) - primaries have their place as well. In a real pinch, with a piece of MacGyver tinfoil, you can run anything from AAAs and 9Vs to CR123 through 18650s with that light :D.

j-star

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

Thanks a bunch, glad to be here!

I am running a EagTac D25A clicky w AW14500. My first AA light purchase, VERY happy with this setup. Thought that the QTA might be a nice second option. It is amazing at the light delievered by 1-AA...

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I always run mine off a 14500. It's my most used light besides my headlamp. Well worth the purchase.

Etsu

Enlightened
I prefer the "Pro" version of the Quark if I'm going with a single AA. You can easily tailstand the Pro, whereas the Tactical's forward clicky sticks out so it can't easily tail-stand.

In the 2xAA format, I like the Tactical version. I find the 2xAA much easier to hand-hold outside, and the Tactical interface is better if you're using it mostly as an outdoor light.

Longer run-times with 2xAA may be a good thing for outdoor use, too. I'd watch the 1xAA run-times if you're running it on a 14500 and using it on max output all the time; you'll probably get well under an hour at max brightness.

j-star

Newly Enlightened
Am considering the Quark QPA2-X, coupled with single AA body tube. Prefer tailstand capable, with single OR double 14500 option.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I have an old low voltage tactival head along with cr123 body, AA body and 2xAA body... When I carried it I always used the AA body with AW protected 14500. I loved the tactical user interface but wasn't crazy about the light going from bright to dead when the battery reached voltage cut off. I don't really want or need a gradual taper but some dimming would be nice. Also with a single alkaline or NiMh battery it is pretty dim.

I think since this light is no longer in my carry rotation two lithium AA would be good to store in it!

oldvultureface

Newly Enlightened
The QTA is my work light. It works well with a 14500. Current draw on max is .75A with the 14500 and 1.8A with the AA. Light output on max with the 14500 is double that of the AA when measured with a photography light meter. As for tail standing (necessary for me), I wrap electrical tape around the tail cap to extend the base beyond the protruding switch.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am considering the Quark QPA2-X, coupled with single AA body tube. Prefer tailstand capable, with single OR double 14500 option.

/!\ You should not use the low-voltage (AA, 2xAA, 1xCR123) Quark head with more than one Li-Ion cell in series. The low-voltage head is rated to 4.2v. It uses a buck/boost circuit, which means it will raise or drop voltage, within the range of about 1-4.2v, to whatever the LED needs. Do NOT use 2x14500 with the 2xAA Quark head.

The high-voltage Quark head is rated for higher voltages. It should regulate reasonably well between 3v and up to 8.4v (I do not own one, and can't remember the upper limit).

GregY

Newly Enlightened
/!\ You should not use the low-voltage (AA, 2xAA, 1xCR123) Quark head with more than one Li-Ion cell in series. The low-voltage head is rated to 4.2v. It uses a buck/boost circuit, which means it will raise or drop voltage, within the range of about 1-4.2v, to whatever the LED needs. Do NOT use 2x14500 with the 2xAA Quark head.

The high-voltage Quark head is rated for higher voltages. It should regulate reasonably well between 3v and up to 8.4v (I do not own one, and can't remember the upper limit).

Indeed, that Quark is a great light and tube lego is cool but don't forget that the head has a specific input voltage range (or you could wind up doing something expensive). I find one or two nimh, or one li-ion to be options enough. :)

IdahoScouter

Newly Enlightened
Hey I'm new around her as well. I just pulled the trigger on a Quark QTA and I'm pretty stoked. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing the wealth of knowledge. I'm excited for the new light and will probably post some questions on lego-ing when I have a chance to use it for a while.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Hey I'm new around her as well. I just pulled the trigger on a Quark QTA and I'm pretty stoked. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing the wealth of knowledge. I'm excited for the new light and will probably post some questions on lego-ing when I have a chance to use it for a while.

Good choice IS.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
I know this is and old thread but I just stumbled on it. I have EDC's a FourSevens Quark Tactical QTA every day since November of 2012 and it has never let me down. It has been dropped on cement many times. Dropped off an 8 foot step ladder several times. Had most if not all automotive type fluids spilled on it and it keeps going. IMO quality lights that are programmable and bright enough to do the job. I would buy another one even though there are newer lights with more features and higher output. It is sad to see they discontinued this series of programmable lights (they claim) because the average user could not figure out how to program them. I found a QTA2 several years ago and had to have it. It has been my nightstand light ever since. I say if you ever see one at a decent price jump on it.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2xAA version of this light, and while it was a nice light for its time, there are two things I don't like:

1. Cool white only.

2. Horribly inefficient driver at max output (208 lumens). This is the only AA light I have that has cooked Eneloop batteries so hot that it caused damage to them. It's only 208 lumens! It never should get that hot.

My Quark Pro 2xAA with the XML2 emitter doesn't have that problem. They seem to have just screwed up the Quark XPG2 tactical version (probably because it doesn't step-down).

If shipping wasn't so expensive, I'd definitely sell mine cheap to someone if they wanted it.