Some thoughts about the Surefire V2 Vampire IR light?

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Quite frankly, I wanted to get the Surefire M952V but since it has the mount, I will pass unless there would be a way to remove the weapon mount and the back pressure plug. The closest to the M952V I had seen, is the V2 Vampire.

What are your thoughts on this light.

What I am looking for is a military type light that is non-weapon mounted.
I have several options on the table now such as this V2 Vampire, and the E2D lights.

So what would be the perfect Surefire light that would be more suited for the military without the weapon mount?
The E2D and the EB2 lights are better suited for more like civilian use.

I even looked at the Surefire M3 light, but that is Incandescent instead of LED...

Thanks

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your intended purpose/use for this light? You've mentioned the V2 and E2D which are meant for completely different applications.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Well for general purpose use outdoors and indoors in dark.
I want something similar to the M952V, like posted, without the weapon mount. I dont need it.
Now the V2 looks pretty much the same, except its a twist switch.

If anyone has good recomendations on a Surefire light that is similar to the M952V please post it (NON-Weapon mounted).
The only one I can think of or had seen is the V2 Vampire. But the other issue with that its hard to get.
So any other lights that come to mind, please post.

The E2D and the EB2 I am afraid are too too strong (500 lumens). And I dont like the wide spill on those. And plus, most of the beam shots look green. The M952V has more cleaner looking round beam to it. Its just that darn weapon mount on it....I wish they had one without the mount.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you keep going back to the Vampire, but you don't mention use with night vision devices. If you are not needing the IR capability, check out the Surefire U2 Ultra and let me know what you think.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
I think the U2 is pretty cool looking. Although, no TIR lens on the U2. Next problem, is that I checked 3 sites that sell Surfires and none in stock. So I might think that this one is hard to get as well.
Might just stick with the V2 if this place has still left in stock.
I can always turn OFF the IR mode feature since I will not be using it.

Just wished that they could of made a handheld version of the M952V.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want something with a tactical dual output tailcap like the V2, check out the LX2. It has TIR with a low of 15, and high of 200 lumens. I think it might be just what you're looking for.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
It's not the M952v but this would be close enough.
I'm more of a clickie fan, but I guess the LX2 would be it.

Thx

Last edited: