Jetbeam        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Any word yet on Firefoxes FF5?

Default Re: Any word yet on Firefoxes FF5?

I had my ff5 open just to see what was inside. It definitely seams like daunting task.
    Flashlights: R90TS, Maxtoch Xsword L2K LEP, K75vn, Fire Fox FF-5 3400k, Fire Fox FF-5 6000K, Wowtac A4, K1VN90, Weben L60, Fenix LD42, W10VN, BLF 18650 flashlight, UVBEAST V3, LM10VN90, Brandless LEP, F21VN, E10VN VNX2 W2.1, Nitcore TIP SE

The lamp change is not too bad. The most difficult part for me was while inserting the open frame type ballast into the head, the two 28 awg switch wires have to be started down and fished down a very deep hole. There's barely enough wire length to see them enter the hole. Once down, the tiny hole in the head and the tiny hole in the bottom plate of the ballast must be perfectly aligned or you'll chop the wires when securing the ballast down. Then, the switch wires at the switch mounting hole must be cut very short because there is no way to push any excess "working" wire length back into the hole so you can seat the switch chip but...and you need extra wire length to make the very tiny solder connections. Part of the problem is that my manual dexterity is not what it was at 40. The issue with the replacement lamps will be that the electrode wire that goes thru the ceramic base is significantly shorter than the electrode on the lamp that came with the light. On the bottom side of the ceramic base, there is a grove from center point extending out the outer diameter. The electrode is designed to protrude from the hole, immediately bend in the grove and extend to the outer diameter. Then it is bent back on itself 180 degrees and extends all the way across the diameter of the ceramic base. I think there is only enough electrode to make the initial bend in the groove to the outer diameter and then maybe only 25% to 30% of the way across the entire diameter. Will this matter? I don't know, maybe not. I used my original lamp, not my spare. The actual electrical connection relies only on the wire with copper puck soldered on the end from the ballast being pushed up against the electrode and it is held in with a doughnut of hard silicone rubber forced up into the ceramic base. There is no actual positive connection, just friction by the doughnut. No Pun intended there. By the way, all replacement lamps are 4300K, no 6000K's (5500K)

Lamp Change: With special 3-hump tool, Unscrew the bezel. Lift out the front glass and pull the reflector out as far as the power wire will allow. Remove the kapstan tape around the ceramic base. Unscrew the ring nut securing the ceramic base to the reflector. Remove the two tiny clips holding the lamp top electrode and power return wires in a groove cut into the reflector. Back the bulb and base out of the reflector while maneuvering the top lamp electrode out of the reflector hole at the same time. The lamp bottom quartz stem just floats in the larger ceramic base, only the electrode going thru the hole and bending in the groove holds it somewhat in-place. Reverse to install.

Much as I really enjoy this type of work, I would not do it regularly for others who wanted it done. Once is enough for fun.
    Last edited by BVH; 08-31-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

Wow. Thanks for the details BVH!
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Memo to self: Do not burn out the FF5 bulb.

I added: "With special 3-Hump tool". Gotta have it or a no-go unless you're ok damaging your bezel.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    I added: "With special 3-Hump tool". Gotta have it or a no-go unless you're ok damaging your bezel.
    My defuser got stuck on my ff5 and after trying as hard as I can to get it to unthread the whole bezal unthreaded. No need for a bezal tool for me lol
    Flashlights: R90TS, Maxtoch Xsword L2K LEP, K75vn, Fire Fox FF-5 3400k, Fire Fox FF-5 6000K, Wowtac A4, K1VN90, Weben L60, Fenix LD42, W10VN, BLF 18650 flashlight, UVBEAST V3, LM10VN90, Brandless LEP, F21VN, E10VN VNX2 W2.1, Nitcore TIP SE

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1234 View Post
    My defuser got stuck on my ff5 and after trying as hard as I can to get it to unthread the whole bezal unthreaded. No need for a bezal tool for me lol
    LOL! Also good to know!!!! I would really like a special bezel tool available though.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1234 View Post
    Now that IS interesting!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456