The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any word yet on Firefoxes FF5?

Default Re: Any word yet on Firefoxes FF5?

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    No, I'm not concerned. I'm just wondering if he can get me some FF3 and possibly FF4 lenses to ad to my order if I order some spare bulbs.

My FF3 lense has the typical fogging issue. And I love this light and the size otherwise.
    What kind of lenses? Iíll ask him.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    What kind of lenses? Iíll ask him.
    The glass lenses for the Firefoxes 3. Would be super awesome if they could be UV treated, but I'll take anything over the foggy original. And I need spares anyways.
    ampdude

The glass lenses for the Firefoxes 3. Would be super awesome if they could be UV treated, but I'll take anything over the foggy original. And I need spares anyways.
    I never got extra lenses, are you saying your stock lens was foggy? Or was this an add on lens like he has for FF5? Wouldnít the FF5 lens fit earlier models? Forgive my lack of awareness, but why do you need extra lenses?

Flashaholic*

I never got extra lenses, are you saying your stock lens was foggy? Or was this an add on lens like he has for FF5? Wouldnít the FF5 lens fit earlier models? Forgive my lack of awareness, but why do you need extra lenses?
    My stock FF3 lense was foggy when I got it. Other people had the same issue.

This was many years ago when this happened. I believe the FF3 came out in 2012 and shipped mostly in 2013-2014. They attributed the lens fogging issue to the humid climate it was made in and shipped to over here. Never made any sense and I opened up the light a couple times and tried to clean the fogging off the lens and never could get it to go away. There might have been something wrong with the material of the lenses of the original FF3's, and that's the only thing I can think of.

I wouldn't know how an FF5 lens would fit an FF3, the heads are different sizes and apparently the FF5 head is larger yet than the FF4, which is what I really like about it. The FF3 lense and bezel is smaller than the FF4 lense and bezel. Just held two of them up together and also remembered that the FF3 reflector is light orange peel, while the FF4 reflector is smooth. I kinda like the FF3 as a vintage pocket rocket. I love the size of it and it's why I've not sold it for other lights. But I would like a new lens for my FF3.

I would also just like extra lenses for scratches or possible damage to the light. Or other issues. I don't understand why anyone would not want replacement parts if a light gets damaged. Without a lens the light is pretty much worthless. And it's cheap insurance.
    Last edited by ampdude; 08-07-2020 at 02:42 AM.
    ampdude

Oh ok, thanks for those details. I never heard about the fogged lens before. Sorry I didnít know the lenses were different sizes. I will ask Neil and let you know.

When we were building custom lights I remember a company that made all sorts of lens sizes and coating. Wonder if anyone remembers that resource.

Flashaholic*

I had one that wanted me to order at least one hundred pieces, maybe it was more than that. They wanted the measurements. I bought a digital calibrator just to measure my FF3's lens, then I forgot all about it.. I don't remember who it was, it's buried somewhere on my computer.
    ampdude

I found the website I was thinking of: https://flashlightlens.com/

we used to get the Borofloat lenses. You have to measure to see if they have a stock size you need.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 08-07-2020 at 02:44 AM.

Flashaholic*

I found the website I was thinking of: https://flashlightlens.com/
    I think that was the one, but not sure. Would be nice if they could do UV coated lenses for FF3, FF4, and FF5 sized heads/bezels.
    ampdude

what is the % of UV light that these bulbs put out?
    Flashlights: R90TS, Maxtoch Xsword L2K LEP, K75vn, Fire Fox FF-5 3400k, Fire Fox FF-5 6000K, Wowtac A4, K1VN90, Weben L60, Fenix LD42, W10VN, BLF 18650 flashlight, UVBEAST V3, LM10VN90, Brandless LEP, F21VN, E10VN VNX2 W2.1, Nitcore TIP SE

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1234 View Post
    The bigger question what types of UV does it put out, UV A, B, C ? Only The bulb maker can tell you this. I don't know that anyone on CPF can measure this. UVC being the most dangerous.

The FF5 lens size is 82mm. At least thatís what the lens cover that came with mine says. Did you get a lens cover as a spare? Because the light already comes with one.

Same.

I suspected my extra battery carriers were delaying the order. I got some lens covers too since they seemed cheaper than the Canon version for FF4 and I'm not sure what size the FF5 ones would be.

I didn't order any spare bulbs, but I might do so tonight. And some more leather cases if they fit my FF4/FF3's decent. I want to get some FF3 lenses as well, but I think only the other site has them.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1234 View Post

After some HID bulb research (without UV protection glass) I have some likely figures at the high wattage (maybe less than half at the lower setting) setting for that bulb without the quartz capsule over the arc chamber.

UVC the most dangerous about 1 watt output
    UVB 2.5 watts
    UVA 15 watts

The numbers could be less or more than these, but this is at least a reasonable possibility.
    Again please be careful especially with your eyes and the eyes of others.
    Don't forget a bad sunburn is also possible.

Got another light coming. I don't think I'll do any testing! Hopefully, I'll get the 6000K version this time.

Thanks Dan for the guesstimate on UV exposure.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

One plus, UVC is effective to "KILL" Covid-19 the Wuhan Virus.

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    After some HID bulb research (without UV protection glass) I have some likely figures at the high wattage (maybe less than half at the lower setting) setting for that bulb without the quartz capsule over the arc chamber.

UVC the most dangerous about 1 watt output
    UVB 2.5 watts
    UVA 15 watts

The numbers could be less or more than these, but this is at least a reasonable possibility.
    Again please be careful especially with your eyes and the eyes of others.
    Don't forget a bad sunburn is also possible.
    thank you for this
    Flashlights: R90TS, Maxtoch Xsword L2K LEP, K75vn, Fire Fox FF-5 3400k, Fire Fox FF-5 6000K, Wowtac A4, K1VN90, Weben L60, Fenix LD42, W10VN, BLF 18650 flashlight, UVBEAST V3, LM10VN90, Brandless LEP, F21VN, E10VN VNX2 W2.1, Nitcore TIP SE

I canít even imagine someone looking directly into any really bright light or shining it at someoneís eyes at close range (unless they are up to nefarious activities). Are people really that stupid?

I canít even imagine someone looking directly into any really bright light or shining it at someoneís eyes at close range (unless they are up to nefarious activities). Are people really that stupid?
    you wound be surprised. I tend to show people in my work place some of the new lights i get who are obviously not accustom to these bright lights. Instead of shinning it on a wall or something to see the beam and how bright it is they want to put it on turbo and try to look directly down the light path. Then they flinch at how bright it is with a puzzled look on there face. Lights are so bright now a days even the light bouncing off the wall can hurt your eyes. I cant shine the ff5 on max at a white wall any closer then about 18 feet or else it over exposes the eyes and its uncomfortable. A direct shot to the eyes with the ff5 with in about 50 feet its certainly lights out for your eyes
    Last edited by Alex1234; 08-07-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Lux, yes, stupidity is alive and well. I remember a CPF member sticking his hand directly in front of TVORD's VSS-3A at a meet.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

sweet my second FF5 6000k with the accessories is on the way

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Lux, yes, stupidity is alive and well. I remember a CPF member sticking his hand directly in front of TVORD's VSS-3A at a meet.
    I believe you, but honestly, these actions are incredulous to even imagine that people are that stupid.

Remember when MAC came out with his ďTorchĒ that would start a fire with newspaper within seconds...from what you guys have seen, that means there are some nitwits that likely stuck their hand in front of that light also!!! Darwinian evolution is alive and well I guess!

Got another light coming.
    Did you ask Neil to replace it since it was the wrong color, or you just biting the bullet.

I asked Neil and he put your request in to the FF company. They responded back that they may have old lenses but have to go looking in their warehouse.

Hey BVH, can you tell if they are using a Fatboy bulb for the 100w? I would surprised that they could still find those around unless they got some from Dan.

If itís not a Fatboy, what the hell other bulb would they be using to get a 100w performance??? Maybe Dan would know if he sees this.

Flashaholic*

I asked Neil and he put your request in to the FF company. They responded back that they may have old lenses but have to go looking in their warehouse.
    Thank you for that, really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    The FF5 lens size is 82mm. At least thatís what the lens cover that came with mine says. Did you get a lens cover as a spare? Because the light already comes with one.
    Oh.. Uh... I guess they'll be spares then. No, didn't know they already came with one as they never did in the past. Interesting!
    ampdude

I just chalked it up to having fun and the cost of entertainment. Definitely NOT a Fatboy. The DL50 Fatboy was only produced in 3900K and is a lot more beefy-looking than the FFV.

Hey BVH, can you tell if they are using a Fatboy bulb for the 100w? I would surprised that they could still find those around unless they got some from Dan.

If itís not a Fatboy, what the hell other bulb would they be using to get a 100w performance??? Maybe Dan would know if he sees this.
    I believe it's a custom made bulb and likely only made for this light.

Here's the casualty. It looks like the marking was "1015". Have to look close for the dark "5". Not even sure the first digit is a "1" after looking thru a loop. Looks like a surface mount resistor or capacitor. Can anyone specifically identify what it is? Large solder blobs on both ends. The blob on the left connects to all pins on the chip. I will try to replace it just for fun. Sounds very strange that there'd be current limiting logic in the ballast as Dan mentioned above. The ballast is regulating. I fed it with two different input Voltages and took current measurements. The higher Voltage input resulted in a lower current. Both combinations resulted in the same Watts. So why regulate current in both places? Searching returns that it is a 100 Ahm resistor. Another unknown is the Wattage handling spec. Any ideas? Size is a clue but not definite and I'm not sure I can tell the size any longer.

Oh, and the lamp is marked 5500K on the base so I guess it is the ...6000K version.

Custom made bezel removal tool:

Last edited by BVH; 08-11-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Here's the casualty. It looks like the marking was "101". Looks like a surface mount resistor or capacitor. Can anyone specifically identify what it is? Large solder blobs on both ends. The blob on the left connects to all pins on the chip. I will try to replace it just for fun. Sounds very strange that there'd be current limiting logic in the ballast as Dan mentioned above. The ballast is regulating. I fed it with two different input Voltages and took current measurements. The higher Voltage input resulted in a lower current. Both combinations resulted in the same Watts. So why regulate current in both places? Oh, and the lamp is marked 5500K on the base so I guess it is the ...6000K version.

Oh, and the lamp is marked 5500K on the base so I guess it is the ...6000K version.

Custome made bezel removal tool:

thoes solder joints look quite beefy.

Love that bezel removal tool!

Thanks to Neal, I was able to buy a replacement ballast.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast