Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: everled questions - strange behavior

Default everled questions - strange behavior

I got an everled white bulb a week or so ago. At first I was REALLY pleased with it (I even wrote a review). I am running it in a princeton tec 40 with really good results.

Tonight it just started to turn off all by itself. I checked batteries, contacts, etc to no avail. I let it 'sit' a minute or two, and it came back on. It is now cycling through off/on/off/on/etc.

I am beginning to think it has some sort of low battery shutdown. It did not do this when I first used it.

Also, other than the on/off thing it does not appear to have gotten dimmer.

I checked the batteries under load. They were each about 1.01 volt. I then swapped out for new batts, and got the same behavior.

Default Re: everled questions - strange behavior

Ok, this thing is hosed. I put it in a 4aa battery holder with straight alligator clips to it and it still did the same thing. During this I checked the temp and it was only slightly warm.

Flashaholic*

Quick and simple answer is: Send it back for warranty replacement.

The long answer is:

Princeton Tec 40 runs off 4 AA right? Even at 1.01V per cell, you have 4.04V total. This is well above the cut off point. The EverLED goes out of regulation below 3V, but still runs without flickering as it was designed to start working even in a 2 cell flashlight.

Does the flickering happen if you just switch it on and leave it sitting, or only when you hold the flashlight in your hand?

Did you check that all the electrical contacts are clean and touching properly? I know the PTec 40 is KISS simple, but this sort of contact problem sometimes occur. Easiest way would be if you could just spray contact cleaner over all electrical contacts (battery springs, on/off touchpoint, etc.), or else you will have to take an ink eraser to each point and rub hard, then blow clean.

If that doesn't solve the flickering, it is most likely an EverLED problem and the bulb should be returned for warranty replacement.

Yeah, I have emailed them just now for warranty info. I had already done the math on the battery voltage (specs say it is good on 1 cell operation actually). Contacts are all good/etc. The alligator clip test pretty much ruled that all out.