surefire 45 lumen e1l or 80 lumen e1b on old e2d body

gust

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I am new to this site and have been looking around these forums for a few weeks. I cannot believe how much great info is on this site! I love it! :thumbsup:

I want to say sorry in advance if this question has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer that I'm looking for.

I have a 45 lumen Surefire E1L outdoorsman and an 80 lumen E1B, as well as a old incadesent E2D defender. My question is, can I safely use either the E1L or E1B head on the 2 cell E2d defender tube to either 1) increase brightness or 2) increase runtime or both?

Both of these lights are my EDC and I am hoping to get a little more out of them.

Thanks guys, I love this site!!!:twothumbs

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that you can not.

Since the 1 series models are a single cell at 3vdc and the 2 series are 2 cell at 6vdc I am under the impression that you will let the smoke out of a single cell 3volt head by giving it 6volts.

Make sense?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, I am new to this site and have been looking around these forums for a few weeks. I cannot believe how much great info is on this site! I love it! :thumbsup:

I want to say sorry in advance if this question has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer that I'm looking for.

I have a 45 lumen Surefire E1L outdoorsman and an 80 lumen E1B, as well as a old incadesent E2D defender. My question is, can I safely use either the E1L or E1B head on the 2 cell E2d defender tube to either 1) increase brightness or 2) increase runtime or both?

Both of these lights are my EDC and I am hoping to get a little more out of them.

Thanks guys, I love this site!!!:twothumbs

AVService is right... you can't use KX1 or E1B head on E2D body without modding them first... With E2E/E2D body you basically have two setup options - 2xCR132 primary cells (6V) or 1x17650 cell (li-ion, 4.2V) - 6V will probably fry the driver instantly and li-ion will flicker and eventually damage the driver (it's basically the same driver in both heads, just set different ways)... both those heads have max safe Vin about 3.3 Volts - but you can use both on 3xCR123 body - if you find any (custom or E2L-AA body) but with two AA cells (not 3xCR123, that's even more voltage)...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can use the E1L & E1B head(s) on your E2D body IF you also use a battery spacer (a dummy battery) so you are only using 1 cell to power your heads. Otherwise (as has already been said) you will damage them.

I like the E1L. Very long run time. If you want brighter then you've got to get the EB1 EB2 or E2DL Ultra. They are very bright but short on run time.

gust

Newly Enlightened
That's to bad, I was really hoping to get at least a longer run time.

Do any of you know if Surefire is going to be offering an updated version of the KX2 LED conversion head, it would be nice to at least upgrade my e2d.

Thanks again for helping out the new guy.

tonkem

Enlightened
With Surefire, it will likely be cheaper or very close in price just to purchase the entire light. The new E2L-A has a good runtime and is brighter than the previous E2L version. Might look into just purchasing a new one. :)

That's to bad, I was really hoping to get at least a longer run time.

Do any of you know if Surefire is going to be offering an updated version of the KX2 LED conversion head, it would be nice to at least upgrade my e2d.

Thanks again for helping out the new guy.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are better of buying one of their new lights from a dealer selling at a good price. Lights like the E2L-A or pick up the older (and now cheaper) LX2 or E2DL 200 lumen light for around $90-120.

Last edited: