Getting with the Program

Lampbeam

Newly Enlightened
I've been on CPF about three hours a week for three months now. I've learned that my rechargeable batteries self-discharge and have to be replaced unless I plan on using them regularly. Oops, I didn't know that. Interesting how that disclosure wasn't on the package when I bought the batteries. Also, I've learned that I have a strong preference for neutral white flashlights. Too bad, because most of my old lights are cool white. Who knew? I didn't. I've discovered a battery that I didn't know existed: the vaunted 18650. Whoops, didn't know, got to get some of those now. Then I discovered the practicality of having an EDC. Well, I guess I better get one of those. What's that you say? It takes a special battery? The 14500? Huh?

My eneloops arrived in the mail today. My girlfriend doesn't understand, "What do you need those for? You already have rechargeable batteries." I gave a plumber working on our apartment a cool white Fenix E25 day before yesterday to get rid of it because I just want to have neutral white XM-Ls. He was confused at first, but he thanked me for it today. He says it's great. Makes me happy to think the light found a good home. It's probably up on Craig's List by now. I bought a Tenergy charger with two of their 18650 batteries. The batteries are great but I replaced the charger with an XTAR SP2 because the Tenergy charger wasn't holding the batteries right.

Then there were the replacement lights. I had four Surefires, a Streamlight and some Maglites before. My Incans were warm colored lights but had low outputs between about 60 and 120 lumens which was pretty frustrating to me. My LED lights were cool white with beam patterns I wasn't happy with. My first purchase just before joining CPF was a Fenix TK15 G2 cool white. This was my gateway (drug) light. I plan on keeping it because I'll probably fall in love with G2 cool whites someday. Then I bought a SW52, D25LC2 and Sunwayman V20C in rapid succession. These latter lights were all T6 XM-Ls. Aahh, the promise land at last.

And that's the program. I'm only in the middle of it. But the endgame is in my mind. I know what I want and how I'm going to use it. And I also know why. Because I want to be seen crossing the road and to avoid hazards in the dark. Why don't most people get that? Anyway, first world problems? Probably. But let me just finish by saying, that even if I didn't live here and could only have one light, it would be the Jetbeam PA40 with XM-L T6. That's my conclusion after three months of CPF.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The search for The One True EDC is not a path leading to a door, but a road leading forever to the horizon.

I reached the door a handful of years ago:

Milky-modded SureFire L1.

200+ out the front lumens on high.

40 lumens on low (though now I guess it's on medium.)

Milky got overwhelmed with orders just after I got my light. So, I guess it's no longer an option for others. But I found mine! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's only the end of the first round! LOL
Now get ready for the next round. ;)

You mean my ideal backup light? Considering "Two is one, and one is none."

Fenix L0D Rebel 80 (though nowadays it would be the Fenix LD01).

I tested mine after I got it.... because that's when we all heard of the issue with the Rebel emitters. (After 25 solid hours on the medium setting, it was clear that mine wasn't one of the defective models.)

Excellent single-AAA keychain light. Durable, plenty of light levels, and well-made.

Plus, the mode settings were done the right damn way.... With medium output being the first setting because that's the level of light that most folks will use for the vast majority of common lighting chores that require a flashlight.

Even today, it's good to see that Fenix didn't jump on the trendy bandwagon of converting over to the Low-medium-high setting for their single-AAA twist mechanism keychain models. (The way practically every other flashlight maker did.) instead of the far more pragmatic Medium-low-high setting.

Plus, one night at work while pulling a double-shift (the only planned one since all the others were beyond last minute due to lazy, selfish, unprofessional co-workers, whom I wasted my time treating with respect which they clearly didn't deserve), my main light that night (an 80 lumen, stock Blackhawk Night-Ops Gladius) failed on me! Failed miserably! Absolutely miserably.... And when it did, my Fenix L0D was used to get the job done. The one that the Uber sophisticated and "smart light" Gladius couldn't get done. Good thing I had my "stupid" L0D that did what I wanted it to do, instead of thinking for itself and deciding that I really didn't want it to do, what I was using it for. :hairpull:

On paper, the Gladius looks like a great light. Considering it's now paltry LED output level of only 80 lumens when it was first released, it would be fair to say that the light was ahead of its time. However, the entire tailcap assembly was cheap plastic junk and felt like a complete after-thought. As if they ran out of money while making the light and decided to completely cheap out on the tailcap assembly and selector switch, to bring the light back under budget. The utterly ridiculously complicated procedure just to put in new batteries also helped make sure this light was a dead end branch on the flashlight tree of evolution.

The grip-ring was sharp, and far less comfortable to use than the one on the SureFire C and Z line of lights. (Hell, the joke of a grip-ring on Streamlight's Night Fighter model was more comfortable than the one on the Gladius. And that's saying a lot since the grip-ring on the Night Fighter feels as though it wasn't even designed for a human hand.[It's like making a mathematical mistake that the Village Idiot got right.]) Plus, early Gladius models (due to all that so-called "smart" technology stuffed inside) had parasidic drain issues. (Keep in mind that was in Combination with the needlessly complicated battery swap procedure.)

Yeah, the Gladius looked good on paper. Yes it was ahead of its time. But really **** poor execution of an overall (except for the grip-ring) very good design meant it couldn't compete with similar lights that ran off two CR123 cells, were simpler in design, and less expensive too.

The Gladius was such a miserable failure that Blackhawk now sells nothing more than cheap Chinese LED models re-branded with the Blackhawk name on them, complete with ridiculous mark-ups in price.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No sir. I was referring to the new addiction that lampbeam is facing, and that we all fight! LOL

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No sir. I was referring to the new addiction that lampbeam is facing, and that we all fight! LOL

Ah, my mistake.

In fairness, your post was after mine and had no quote window in it. Oh well, no worries. :thumbsup:

Lampbeam

Newly Enlightened
The search for The One True EDC is not a path leading to a door, but a road leading forever to the horizon.

Okay, so now I believe Mac's Customs Tri-EDC with the three G2s is the "one true EDC". Told you I would fall in love with G2s someday.

TheVat26

Enlightened

So true. In about a year and a half since joining you flashlight crazy people, I have spent probably around 1k so far looking for "The One". Every light I get I make sure I can EDC, as well as use on duty. Hope I'm not going too far off topic, but here is a short list of how I've progressed/obsessed in this necessary hobby.

Klarus RS11, Klarus XT11, Klarus XT2C (470+580 version), Klarus XT2A, Pelican 7060 (duty only), Pelican 2360, 5.11 Atac A1, Streamlight Pro Tac 2AA (120+155 version), Nightstick Tac 200, Surefire 6P incan, Malkoff MD2, Solarforce L2P w/Nailbender drop in, Fenix PD32, Eagletac T200C2, La Police Gear L1+L2, Olight I3, and just bought a the new Jetbeam BC25 (800 version) yesterday. These are the ones I can remember.

I don't mind the size of an 18650 for edc. What I want and am searching for is simple. High and low modes and no electronic switch. The MD2 I thought was perfect. Color rendering, size, quality, UI, clip, runtime, all seemed great at first. But the only thing that holds me back on it is the throw. The reflector is small and not deeply mounted so the beam is very floody. Up to 25 yards its good. Past that it didn't have enough punch for me. Not quite enough to make a target squint, or properly ID targets at 50-60 yards. I'm hoping the BC25 will be close to what I will need. I'm hoping the MD2 clip will fit, and I know the low of 100 will be a lot close range CD in total darkness considering the deep mounted led and smooth reflector, but its not my end of the world light either. The beefiness won't be as robust as the MD2, but the head twisting mode hanger seems reliable. We wi see if this works, if not the search continues.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This thread almost belongs in the Recommend me a Light for..... forum, but let's move it to the LED Flashlights forum.

Bill