Need ideas for a light for a gift...

Drjones

Enlightened
Hi.

I have a female friend who is graduating college soon, and I decided that I want to get her a nice light.

Just tonight I was studying with her and another guy in the Student Union when the lights flickered and died, leaving us in the pitch black.

Me being the way I am (very similar to many of you here!), I felt my heart leap for joy as I simultaneously reached for my L4 and saved the night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Apparently there was some accident that knocked out many lights on campus, and all this girl has is a photon to illuminate her walk to the car. (Don't worry! The other gentleman walked her to her car! I didn't leave her alone!!!)

ANYHOW, point being, I want to get her a light as a grad gift.

I don't quite have the cash to drop on an L4 for her (unfortunately) but here are the criteria:

1) LED. I was thinking of a SF G2, but don't want to saddle her with a) $15 or so bulbs, b) aging technology (incandescents)

2) No more than $40-50 or so.

3) EDC'able. Purse-sized is fine. I'd prefer to keep it around the size of the L4 or so, as that seems to me to be about as big as most non-flashaholics care to EDC.

4) Obviously, (I shouldn't even have to say this as its a given around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) it needs to be as bright as possible, a good walking light. I want flood over throw.

EDIT TO ADD: She already has a photon, and while I was going to get her an Arc AAA to replace it, I think a larger, brighter light would be better.

I want something MUCH brighter than a keyring type light, like one of the Princeton lights or something.

Due to my poor experience with the Arc LS, I don't really want to consider it either. Plus, I think the smaller size may just help it get lost in her purse.

Suggest away!

Thanks in advance!!!

Drjones

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say get a Surefire Winelight (E1e) which a few CPF dealers have in the $50 range. Plus some spare batteries. Unless she's a flashaholic though, you may be better off getting her something like a PT Blast or even an Arc AAA. Finally, if you really want to get an LED light, the "Get Your Foot In The Door" special for the Arc LSL-S is a great deal if it's still available.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
ARC LS factory second if you can log on at the right time.
Inova X5T These are about equal in brightness to the Streamlight 4AA 7LED
MM/BB Sandwich
With the Sandwich she could use AAs and have a bright light

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know... i've been really happy giving the closest of people Streamlight TwinTask lights. I don't have the kind of money to give everyone a 50 dollar light, but these Twin Task lights sure feel like they are worth at least that much.

I'd get your friend a Streamlight 1L or 2L, it really depends on how big of a light she wants to carry in her purse. And since you did mention purse carry, i'm guessing we're not looking for the smallest possible light. The ability to switch between highpower incandescent to lower powered LEDs is very valuable in these lights. For 20-30 dollars you can't go wrong.

I would get her the 2L. It is bright enoegh to stand up to an L4 or SUrefire E2 and it has that option of running (for a very long time) on LEDs. I can get a 2L locally for about 32 dollars...about the same price as a G2. But like your reasoning, i figured the recipients wouldn't appreciate having to spend 15 dollars on a bulb.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd also be careful about giving a non-flashaholic a 123-powered flashlight. At least tell her where to order batteries. I'd hate for her to go into a camera store and pay 7+ bucks apiece for them.

Seriously though, unless she's a geek like us, she won't really appreciate a fancy light. I know this from giving the significant lady in my life (i.e. my mom) an Arc LS with 123 TSP. The styling didn't do much for her, she could have cared less whether it was LED or incandescent, and she found the pushbutton too hard to operate. She traded it to me for a PT Blast which she liked a lot better.

Basically I'd say get a real small light that doesn't weigh very much. PT Blast, UKE 2AAA incandescent (side by side or penlight), Minimag 2aaa, that kind of thing. Or else an Arc AAA, CPF edition if you can get one, and tell her to put it on her keychain.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'unno.. since she has the Photon, maybe she'd like something bigger?
the Blaster Jr is on sale for $50 from Elektrolumens.. it'd make a great light for her to keep @ her house and use, in instances such as power outages, *lol*

along the lines of something EDC-able, i think she'd really dig the Inova X5T.. it's sorta classy looking y'know? it's fairly bright and wont chew thru batteries.. takes CR123's tho, maybe you could throw in a few sets.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would agree too that the E1e winelight would be a nice and classy gift, esp for a female. Else, with the Arc LS, you could give it to her with both the 123 TSP or 2AA TSP. With the 2AA TSP, I don't think it'd get lost in her purse that easily...

Another inexpensive yet bright light could also be the UKE 2AAA either Incan or E-led, altho brightness is of no comparison to the above...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
With the recent success of the new Dorcy LEDS you may be happy with the single LED AAA or better yet the 3 LED 1-AA.They also make a 2AA LED light but I have yet to find anything on the shelf other than the smallest of the three.I am very happy with my Dorcy and the cost is also a bonus.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
so many great ideas!

i think smaller (but not too small) with easy to find/inexpensive bats would be great. LED is a plus.

ARC aa or AAA (i know, not too bright)

BB400 in minimag (AWESOME light!) you can even choose a cool color and optics--mcflood or nx05. both are nice.

Attitude

opalec newbeam

good luck!!!

Bob