Cold Heat: a new way to solder

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/152624_coldheat16.html

"Curling irons, hand warmers, coffee mugs and other consumer products that rely on heat to do their jobs are about to get a makeover thanks to an innovative technology from a tiny Bellevue company.

Cold Heat, which plans to announce $2.5 million in venture financing today, is developing a series of household products that can quickly produce heat and then cool down almost immediately.

The company's first product, a cordless soldering tool that retails for $20, can reach temperatures of 800 degrees Fahrenheit in less than a second. When the task is completed, the tool returns to room temperature in about two seconds, said Chief Executive Michael Parks."

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NIce article /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

next year gonna be a cool year.... or hot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need that soldering iron! Mostly just for the fast heat-up time...Also so I don't have to worry about burning myself between soldering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I saw this in this morning's paper. First thing I wondered about was how will the heat be generated; an object that can heat up in one second and cool down in two seconds can't have very much mass.
Try touching a melted blob of solder two seconds after taking the soldering iron tip away and see what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm waiting to hear more about these products, leaving my money safely in my wallet. Definitely has a "too good to be true" aura, but hey, I get surprised once in a while.

I agree with your point about not having much mass. At best, it would do for small wiring jobs, not for soldering sheets of copper together or whatever.

Tomas

Banned
Just for interest I dug up the patent info and here's some of the info extracted from it:

====

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

[0011] Generally described, the present invention provides a soldering iron, with a graphite tip having two separate halves that are electrically isolated from one another. The tip halves are each electrically connected to the opposite sides of an electrical power source. When both halves of the tip are applied to an electrically conductive material, such as the material to be soldered, an electrical circuit between the tip halves and electrical power source is completed. The halves of the tip are constructed from material having high electrical resistivity and low thermal conductivity. Therefore, the tip can reach operating temperatures quickly. When the tip is removed from the joint, the electrical circuit is broken and the tip material quickly cools.

[0012] Because electricity is only able to flow when the two pieces of the tip are electrically connected, no separate switch is required. Furthermore, the soldering iron may be used without waiting for the tip to heat. The tip also reduces the risk of burning the operator and/or his or her surroundings because it heats up and cools down quickly. Furthermore, the tip material eliminates the risk of the tip becoming stuck in the joint. The tip material also permits higher power outputs than other known battery-operated portable soldering irons and permits over 300 joints for each full charge.

[0013] In accordance with further aspects of the present invention, in one embodiment, the soldering iron also includes a light disposed on the case to illuminate the tip and connection. The light is controlled by a separate switch and permits the tool to be used to illuminate the operator's surroundings without actually having to heat the tip. This aspect of the invention permits the operator to avoid the necessity of carrying a separate light source when working or intending to work in areas without sufficient lighting.

[0014] In accordance with other aspects of the invention, another embodiment is provided in which the tool also includes an electrical lead connected in series with the lamp, the power source, and a continuity testing probe. This aspect of the invention permits the soldering iron to test circuit continuity by applying the lead and the probe directly to a newly soldered connection, or to another part of the circuit to be tested. This aspect of the invention permits the operator to avoid the necessity of carrying a separate continuity tester to perform this function.

====

Very similar to one I made in about 1959-60 using a file handle, a piece of brass tubing, some brass shimstock, two small brass screws, 4 washers, and a nut, a wooden file handle, some heavy wire, three crocodile clips, a car battery, and the carbon rod from a D cell Burgess battery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Refined a bit from that, of course ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like it will require a bit different technique, and like there may be appreciable tip erosion, but certainly workable. Hopefully replacement tips will be easy to come by, inexpensive, and simple to replace.

More info at: USPTO Page.

T_sig6.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Cold heat: isn't that an oxymoron, like military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, and honest politician? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if this does turn out, might mean that I can finally put paid to my worst habit. Forgetting to turn the smegging iron off, then just about burning my fingers off when I come back an hour later and go to pick it up!