New Streamlight Stylus pro 65 lumens

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I went to Bass Pro the other day and discovered this new updated Stylus pro that produces 65 lumens. It is still the standard on off momentary light that we are use to so no high and low yet.

Front cover

Back cover

As seen below the runtime has increased just a little and the regulation from the chart is not great but the light is around $27. I am sure it can be obtained cheaper on line.

65 Lumens

I am not sure what LED it is using. I don't think its Cree though.

I do not know the LED used

In the pic below the beam on the left is the new 65 lumen Stylus Pro and the old 48 lumen Stylus Pro is on the right. As you can see the beam pattern of the new one is a bit wider more floody than the old. The light I purchased is very white almost like the old P4s. My old 48 lumen is not nearly as green as the photo shows. It is more of a neutral tint.

New 65 lumens on left, old 48 on right

As of now they still have not updated their website with the new upgrade.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Thanks for the info, Dave. Wonder if the Streamlight Protac 2AAA will get an increase, too.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that is so old hat compared to what the others are making.A complete waste of money to me but on the positive side they are pretty much bullet proof and a favourite of professional users.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also hits that sweet spot of price and functionality. Single mode and solid reliability is a big plus for me.

I wish they'd do the same thing in AA.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I love these lights for work. I'm an auto instructor, so my lights get a lot of use daily.

I have been using these lights non stop everyday for the last three years. I wear out the runner tailcaps in a few weeks. And usually wear the finish off in a few months. And I usually try to buy them for some of my senior students that do job shadowing at dealerships.

These lights are tanks. Totally worth the money. You can get them for 18$ off Of amazon

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like i said in my post a favourite of professional users but as a hobby light it stinks of antiquarianism.:laughing:

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that unlike the old 48 lumen light which came with an extra rubber boot in the package, the new one does not. You can see that from the pic of the package.

Also forgot to mention. One of the possible down sides to the light is that it just might be a little too bright for a single mode light.

Last edited:

durallymax

Newly Enlightened
Like i said in my post a favourite of professional users but as a hobby light it stinks of antiquarianism.:laughing:

I've used them for a few years as a mechanic and they are very handy. Many techs like them because they fit nicely in your shirt pocket.

My other lights are much better for light and features, but for a simple light that many techs loose easily the Stylus pro is nice.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I forgot to mention that unlike the old 48 lumen light which came with an extra rubber boot in the package, the new one does not. You can see that from the pic of the package.

Also forgot to mention. One of the possible down sides to the light is that it just might be a little too bright for a single mode light.

Yeah, ironically 65 lumens is a bit too much for the average person looking for a good penlight.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Yeah, ironically 65 lumens is a bit too much for the average person looking for a good penlight.

After some time with this new upgrade I now see that over time the light drops a bit in brightness and with its floody beam, it leaves one not too overwhelmed with its output. It still might be too bright in some situations but it is not as bad as I thought at first.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried finding a "back door," e.g., pressing the button 10 or 12 times quickly to see if there is a hidden mode?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Have you tried finding a "back door," e.g., pressing the button 10 or 12 times quickly to see if there is a hidden mode?

Would be interesting to see if there are any. Though with SL's reputation, not likely.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you'll never get in through the front line security, but you might look for a back door.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Interesting, I will be looking for the new 65 lumen version now.
Would be lost without my Stylus Pro in my front shirt pocket well working.
Just as handy as having a pen in my shirt pocket.

1_28_03_14_4_09_33.jpeg

Edited to add: Just ordered the new 65 Lumens from BrightGuy. :D
Funny the Streamlight website still shows specs for the old version.

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
After some time with this new upgrade I now see that over time the light drops a bit in brightness and with its floody beam, it leaves one not too overwhelmed with its output. It still might be too bright in some situations but it is not as bad as I thought at first.

A little more brightness will be ok for me, but it will be just as nice or nicer to have some increased flood.

Have you noticed any difference in the switch travel to click it on compared to the old one?
I did this modification to make my switch work a little nicer for me
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ight-Stylus-Pro-and-Microstream-customization

Wondering if I will need to do the same thing to the new version or if they changed it.

Thanks,

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first I thought you guys had gotten the Stylus Pro mixed up with the new Stylus Pro USB, which is rated at 70 lm. But I checked into it, and by golly, there is a new version of the Pro that is rated at 65 lm. So now we have three different generations of the Stylus Pro available on the market, all with the same Streamlight part number. Streamlight did the same thing with the second generation Microstream. It made it very hard to figure out which version was being sold by whom when I was looking for a new one to replace the one I had that ran away from home. I wish Streamlight would at least add a prefix like A,B,C or -1, -2, etc. to help keep things straight. I like the Stylus Pro as a light almost as much as I like the Microstream, but I really don't have a need for 70 lm in that form factor. I am usually just adding a little additional light on close-in work, and that would just be too bright. I often EDC a ProTac EMS which has a 50 lumen high, and I find that I rarely use it, staying mainly with the low and medium levels. As a middle distance EDC it would be great, and at a great price, but I'll stick with my Microstream and EMS.

PS: I have yet to find anyone online who is selling the 3rd gen, but I don't know if it is because of how new it is, or just general sloppiness in updating the info on their web pages. I also have yet to see anyone offering the Pro USB, probably for the same reasons. If you are going to sell something on a web page, at least keep it up to date!

Last edited: