ucl, mineral, ar coating, plastic

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall a hard number on light loss at lens, other than the 1 to 2 percent of ar coated.

My guess is regular glass in cheap flashlights is called mineral glass? Is about 80 to 91 percent clear? Similar to acrylic in transmission numbers for lights that are typically found? (I know flashlightlens.com may have better performing acrylics, but I assume not solvent resistant.)

Also, white water glass, I assume, is same as UCL and is 4x tougher than regular glass? How good against tempered? (I assume same as tempered.) Is this break resistant in a larger, say, 38 mm light? (I need impact drop to floor resistant and acetone--at least gasoline resistance.)

All is a bit hazy, like a dirty lens to me. I need confirmation that I am reading the scant relevant, online info correctly tonight through tired, cloudy contacts. Some one said %4 loss per side, but doesn't offer example and doesn't seem correct with most glass. My guess is 4 to 6 percent per surface, for, say 11 to 12 percent typical lens loss of a cheap light: http://www.deltagearinc.com/library/optics-facts.php

Last edited: