I am a flesh'n'blood snowblower.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a flesh\'n\'blood snowblower.

DAMN mean with the shovel! i just shoveled 2+ feet of snow off the apartment walkway and 3 parking spaces!

so far 5 cars have got stuck in the parking lot.

and my back hurts.

who else is shoveling?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I am a flesh\'n\'blood snowblower.

i bought a snowblower last year--and love it.

the house we purchased has a driveway that is double wide and 75 feet long. that doesnt include the sidewalks.

my old house had a single wide driveway that was maybe 50 feet, plus sidewalk.. did manual shoveling every winter for about 27 years!

just take it slow, and stretch a lot.

think about how buff you will be in the spring!

Bob

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not shoveling yet, but I probably will be sometime soon here. I have a snowblower, but never really use it because I like the exercise. The only time it gets fired up is if we have a lot of snow that is the wet, heavy kind. 2 feet is a lot of snow. Talk about a workout.

-Mike

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

High today here is going to be 69F /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I feel your pain, I was born in Chicago and lived most of my life there. Then spent 3 years in Wisconsin living WITHOUT a snow blower. Shoveling was a way of life. I can't count how many times I've gotten a 5 foot high snow bank caused by the snow plow going by. It takes a LONG time to shovel that much snow...

There was a "snow flurry" here last winter around this time of year. I pulled into a gas station and looked up to see a real honest to goodness snowflake! And before I was done pumping gas I think I saw another one! When I went in to the store to buy some donuts for the drive (when I take a long drive I get to eat anything i want in the car, health and weight issues temporarily put aside, normally thats beef jerky and pringles, but sometimes a donut too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and another lady ran in and yelled to the group of us "HAS ANYONE HEARD IF THEY HAVE CLOSED THE SCHOOLS YET!" I laughed out loud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Take a days drive south and you'll find a very different mindset about snow...

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I feel your pain even though I have one of these? I live near the coast and man that last dump was unbelievably heavy per shovelful!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hs928tas.jpg

It's a relatively big snowblower, but I can't get it onto my porch that wraps around 1/2 of the house. Man, that last snowstorm came down with dense wet snow!!! I've got a lot of shoveling to do in addition to the snowblowing, and usually the morning after I'm done it starts sliding off the slippery roof onto the porch, steps, driveway, etc. Then I have to shovel more dense wet snow!!!

Saaby

Flashaholic

I keep trying to convice my dad we need one but to no avail. Here in Utah we've got the Greatest Snow on Earth™ but that doesn't mean it's fun to shovel it. Problem with Utah snow is it's so light and powdery that it's impossible to get a completely clean walk with just a shovel. Just because it's light and powdery though doesn't mean it's light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif out where I live most the snow is lake effect snow, which means we'll either get a very very light snowfall that's hardly worth sneezing at or you'll get a ton of snow! Either that or it'll snow all day long so you have to shovel several times.

Ooooh, here comes the thing to top it all off, while we don't have a 75 foot driveway we're on the corner so you have to shovel in front of the house as well as up the side.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
binky said:
hs928tas.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
that thing is a BEAST!

it's good to hear i'm not the only one shoveling..
luckily they brought in a giant truck to plow the parking lot out..

i'm glad i don't have two sides of a house to shovel.. i only need to shovel *strategically* making pathways to vehicles and then the occasional parking spaces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

richpalm

Banned

No way!!! That's why I want out of the northeast. I get neighborhood kids to do it. Not worth a heart attack.

Oh, BTW, did I ever say that I'd rather have dysentary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif than winter... I HATE it with a passion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Not to mention seasonal depression. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Rich

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]

hs928tas.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I am truly envious. I saw one of those at the store last week when I was getting a new belt for my little Toro snowblower (Using it as a battering ram to get through the drifts probably didn't help the belt to stay in one piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif). Do the treads make it hard to turn?

Chris

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

chrisn1niq -- AFTER I bought the thing I had some buyer's remorse worrying about exactly that turning issue, since the Ariens had just come out with their spinable, easy-turn transmission. HOWEVER, what I discovered is that when it's snowy the thing slips around easily with truly no effort as long as it's rolling along. (The infinitely variable speeds helps a lot) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I even wish I'd insisted on getting the widest one, for various reasons.

Sorry to read that mother nature caused the belt to break on that Toro of yours. The Toro's supposed to be pretty sturdy, methinks.

Can you believe there's actually a website named www.whatsthebestsnowblower.com??? Well, okay these days everything's on the web so maybe that's not surprising.

But I don't want to hijack the thread. Sorry. Back to shoveling...

MrMom

Enlightened

Flashaholics here in Buffalo NY use their HD incans hot beam to melt the snow. Who needs shovels when you have a serious photon producer...

Bill.H

Enlightened

Ahhhh, Ryan, wait till you get older /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I used to shovel snow...
Now I'm like Binky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

fa459b5d.jpg

Those red things are heated handgrips, the little levers below them are the power steering controls. There are some good things about being an old man - you get neat toys like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Binky, for that porch: I use a Toro 2 stroke single stage for the decks and ramps at my church. Easy to lift and it has a rubber blade so it doesn't hurt the surface at all. Something like the current model# 2450 GTS . Then all you have to do by hand is the stairs. Unless you get a power shovel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

I forgot to mention that all the whining is just a coverup for the fact that I really like big mechanical things like, hmm, snow blowers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i get so jealous of ppl with toys like snowblowers.

a doctor who lives down the street has a ride-in snowblower.. and everytime he's clearing his driveway he gives his kids snowblower rides.

and i shovel away.

that power shovel is baaad assss. throws snow 15 feet. sheesh.

my shovel's made outta plastic with a steel edge. and throws snow just far enough to get it outta the damn way *lol*.

hideo

Enlightened

I grew up in northern Wisconsin and shovelled out of any number of two and three footers growing up

last winter, the forecasters were calling for big snow for the Front Range and I stupidly told the wife not to worry about leaving our '83 Suby at the bottom of the drive since it has compound low and since the forecasters had been crying wolf about snow for the whole winter

well, we got 87.5" of snow out of that storm over two days

the first morning I woke up at 6 and there was already about 20 inches on the ground--it was coming down at maybe 3" an hour!

I started shovelling--worked for about 7 hours and carved a 6 foot-wide swath up our little over 300 foot driveway (dirt road) by the time I got done, there was almost four feet on the ground--got the Suby to the top next to the road

didn't make much diff as it turns out since it took the county almost a week to get the road done (with front loaders)

people spent more time fixing their snowblowers than blowing ...

by the next day you could barely tell I shovelled ...
fa429f30.jpg

here's a pic of our local watering hole

fa429b0b.jpg

I shovelled paths for essential services and a dog run and then started reducing the snowload on my in-laws nearly flat roof (tons of snow) a number of local structures collapsed under the weight ... towards the end I ran out of places to put the snow

I was sore for two weeks, but it actually was great because we really needed the moisture

hideo

hideo

Enlightened

yeah, you haven't lived till you've had a snow like this!

hideo