ZebraLight SC62n Nichia 219

markr6

Flashaholic
I love my SC62d, but if the output was THE SAME with a Nichia, I would probably sell and buy a SC62n. But I believe the output would be less than the Luxeon, which already leaves me wanting more. So, I would have to say "no".

Don't get me wrong on the output of the SC62d, it's a good compromise for the excellent tint. But after comparing to higher powered lights (SC600w), you can't help but wish it was brighter! Again...not complaining :)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not me.

I like the tint on the Nichia 219A, but I'm too used to the high output provided by CREE LEDs. Nichia just doesn't produce enough light for me.

I would buy an SC62w with neutral XM-L2.... though it's possible even that might not have enough output for me.

My current EDC rotation includes a single-18650 light with around 1500 lumens OTF and a similarly sized 2x18350 light with approximately 1700 lumens OTF.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I would buy an SC62w with neutral XM-L2.... though it's possible even that might not have enough output.

I think they would be crazy not to put an XM-L2 in the SC62. It's such a friendly size to carry in pocket and hold! Perfect IMO. I'm guessing they wouldn't push it as high as the SC600 due to the smaller head to deal with heat? Even then, something around 800lm would be great in a SC62(w)

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one light with Nichia 219 an L3 L10. Tint is awesome. If ZL does a Nichia light it will be on my list.

Etsu

Enlightened
Nope. I hate lithium cells, so I wouldn't buy it no matter what kind of LED they put in it. OTOH, give me a SC52n and I'll be all over it! 150 lumens would be enough output for me in that format with the 219A.

MBentz

Enlightened
Not me.

I like the tint on the Nichia 219A, but I'm too used to the high output provided by CREE LEDs. Nichia just doesn't produce enough light for me.

I would buy an SC62w with neutral XM-L2.... though it's possible even that might not have enough output for me.

My current EDC rotation includes a single-18650 light with around 1500 lumens OTF and a similarly sized 2x18350 light with approximately 1700 lumens OTF.

Just curious, but what do you do that requires 1500 and 1700 lumens?

markr6

Flashaholic
Nope. I hate lithium cells, so I wouldn't buy it no matter what kind of LED they put in it. OTOH, give me a SC52n and I'll be all over it! 150 lumens would be enough output for me in that format with the 219A.

Yeah a SC52n would be sweet too. I practically begged Zebralight to make one for me for $120...basically said "no" LOL!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, but what do you do that requires 1500 and 1700 lumens?

Nothing.... I just like having a pocket rocket! :eek:

My current EDC rotation includes:

1. Convoy S6 SSSP edition from Mountain Electronics. Running on a 2100 Mah Panasonic INR 20R. 5.74 amps at the tail, powering a triple XPG2 on Noctigon direct copper star. Each of the XPG2s has a different tint (cool white, warm white, neutral white), with the overall result being a very nice neutral. Around 1500 lumens.

2. Sunwayman C20C modded by me. Running on 2xIMR 18350. Driver is a 3.04 amp Nangj 105c with DrJones Lumodrv firmware and Zener diode mod. LED is an MTG2 on Noctigon direct copper star. Around 1700 lumens.

MBentz

Enlightened
Nothing.... I just like having a pocket rocket! :eek:

My current EDC rotation includes:

1. Convoy S6 SSSP edition from Mountain Electronics. Running on a 2100 Mah Panasonic INR 20R. 5.74 amps at the tail, powering a triple XPG2 on Noctigon direct copper star. Each of the XPG2s has a different tint (cool white, warm white, neutral white), with the overall result being a very nice neutral. Around 1500 lumens.

2. Sunwayman C20C modded by me. Running on 2xIMR 18350. Driver is a 3.04 amp Nangj 105c with DrJones Lumodrv firmware and Zener diode mod. LED is an MTG2 on Noctigon direct copper star. Around 1700 lumens.

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

In the past year or so I've had a paradigm shift in my thinking of lights. I used to want max throw and didn't care about tint. Now I'm a tint snob am really only interested in flood lights and lights with long run times. But that's for another thread.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough. :thumbsup:

In the past year or so I've had a paradigm shift in my thinking of lights. I used to want max throw and didn't care about tint. Now I'm a tint snob am really only interested in flood lights and lights with long run times. But that's for another thread.

Hahaha yeah I know the feeling. I used to be all about modded 1x14500 zoom lights for my pocket EDC. Now I'm all about flood and have bumped up to 1x18650 size.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't received my SC62d yet, so I can't say can't say whether I'd prefer it's tint to the Nichia 219. I will say that I had to filter the output on both of my Nichia 219 lights with a bit of magenta to get the tint to my liking, which is now nearly perfect, both in tint and in terms of color rendering.

As far as brightness goes, I was fortunate enough to get one of the EDC+ Triple Nichia 219 drop-ins, and it's got more than enough brightness, with the only problem being that it's 3 levels aren't spaced as nicely as I'd like.

So, while I'm looking forward to trying the SC62d, I still think the near perfect EDC, for me, would be a triple Nichia 219 in a ZL SC600, and since we're asking, I'd like it with a removable screw on bezel so I could add filters inside the lens.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't received my SC62d yet, so I can't say can't say whether I'd prefer it's tint to the Nichia 219. I will say that I had to filter the output on both of my Nichia 219 lights with a bit of magenta to get the tint to my liking, which is now nearly perfect, both in tint and in terms of color rendering.

As far as brightness goes, I was fortunate enough to get one of the EDC+ Triple Nichia 219 drop-ins, and it's got more than enough brightness, with the only problem being that it's 3 levels aren't spaced as nicely as I'd like.

So, while I'm looking forward to trying the SC62d, I still think the near perfect EDC, for me, would be a triple Nichia 219 in a ZL SC600, and since we're asking, I'd like it with a removable screw on bezel so I could add filters inside the lens.

You might be able to mod an SC600 mkI with a triple nichia 219. Wouldn't be that much current to each emitter though.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be able to mod an SC600 mkI with a triple nichia 219. Wouldn't be that much current to each emitter though.
That's actually my plan, but I'm waiting to receive the SC62d before I attempt it, because I use my SC600 every night at work and don't want to be without at least one Zebralight before making the attempt at modding the SC600.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I definitely would, but I also would buy one with a warmer led, like XP-G2 high CRI.

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened

^ This.

I also have the EDC+ triple 219 and it is such a perfect tint and is quite powerful (albeit extremely floody). Although I wished they would have pushed the drop-in to around 4-5 amps to get the most out of the emitters, rather than having the max at 2 amps as it is now. These emitters can easily handle 1.5A each, but the EDC+ triple is only pushing each at around 670mA. Plus there is only three modes, and a trip-219 would benefit greatly with the ZL UI.

A SC600 size light with a triple 219... oh boy, that would be flashlight perfection right there!

I am also waiting om my SC62d to ship as well, so not sure if I will like it better or worse than a 219 yet.

markr6

Flashaholic
I asked ZL if they had any plans to use other emitters in the SC62. They said they DO NOT. :mecry:

It would have been nice. Maybe they'll change their minds in the future. Either way, I'm completely thrilled with my SC62d and it's seeing a lot of use already.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked ZL if they had any plans to use other emitters in the SC62. They said they DO NOT. :mecry:

It would have been nice. Maybe they'll change their minds in the future. Either way, I'm completely thrilled with my SC62d and it's seeing a lot of use already.

That's surprising.

Pretty much every light Zebralight has produced in the last few years was released in multiple versions with different emitters. Releasing the SC62d as their only SC62 model would be a first.

Seems like an odd choice to me... spending the resources to design and build an entirely new flashlight body, but then release it only with a niche non-mainstream emitter.

Guess I'll pass on the SC62 and wait for the SC32w.