U.S. vs UK words/sayings

markr6

Flashaholic
I was watching the Everest series on Amazon Prime the past few days and noticed a lot of words and sayings the British guys were using. I think one guy from New Zealand too. Some of the words sound funny because it makes sense to me now that I hear it, but just not something I would have used or even heard here in the US.

I also went out with a friend once and he brought his friend from England. We were at a bar and I remember thinking "I know you're speaking English, but I almost don't understand you at all"

So I'm curious, what kind of stuff do WE say in the US that you guys from the UK would never say or maybe even understand? For example, I guess "brilliant" means something like "awesome" in the US...strange it never caught on here.

ven

Flashaholic
garbage=rubbish in uk
jam=jelly
chips in usa=crisps in UK as in packet of salt & vinegar ,chips in uk you have fries in usa,just UK ones are fatter and chips
will think of more :laughing:

Even in UK depending on where you live varies,we have barm cakes/muffins/baps(like bread on a MacDonald big mac)Get funny looks if ask for a chip barm when they know it as a muffin for example.........

markr6

Flashaholic
garbage=rubbish in uk
jam=jelly
chips in usa=crisps in UK as in packet of salt & vinegar ,chips in uk you have fries in usa,just UK ones are fatter and chips
will think of more :laughing:

Even in UK depending on where you live varies,we have barm cakes/muffins/baps(like bread on a MacDonald big mac)Get funny looks if ask for a chip barm when they know it as a muffin for example.........

LOL crisps! I love that one. Always laughed watching the show "An Idiot Abroad" when Carl said that a lot (but in general that whole damn show cracked me up the entire time)

ven

Flashaholic
Great stuff
Superb
nice 1
ar kid :laughing:

aye up=how do
laterz=see you later
in a bit= see you again or see you later
my ar5e=yeh right
wicked=awesome
kick a55=awesome

sure more will come :laughing:

I find the "lost in translation" (figure of speech) difficult on all forums,be it UK or USA as it is down to how you interoperate what i type.

Other countries come across as rude/ignorant but they are not,its their culture........if makes sense,i find Germans for example fall under this category..........straight to the point basically.

Been USA couple of times,Florida,and..........well Fernando valley(will leave that working holiday there :laughing:)

At all times Americans are very friendly,very welcoming and tbh seem 1 of not the most friendliest peeps i have spent time with out of the UK.

In short i love America,everything is just bigger and better and at times i wish my life was as here but over there..........if makes sense

ven

Flashaholic
Get some *phoenix nights* or *max and paddy* or *mrs browns boys* watched if possible,some great funny stuff there:thumbsup:

markr6

Flashaholic
At all times Americans are very friendly,very welcoming and tbh seem 1 of not the most friendliest peeps i have spent time with out of the UK.

Well just stay off of Long Island! (uh oh, now I've done it)

ven

Flashaholic
I've always wondered:

Since our cookies are their biscuits, what do they call biscuits?
Our flashlights are their torches; so what do they call torches?

:laughing:
:nana:
no no no :laughing: our torches our your flashlights,and are biscuits are your cookies.........we do have cookies though,tend to be choc chip and called cookies on the packet

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've always wondered: Since our cookies are their biscuits, what do they call biscuits?
The closest thing to an American biscuit "as in biscuits and gravy" would be a scone but they are eaten differently.

Some types of dumplings may be similar, as they're eaten more like biscuits. Depends on whether you go by looks or how they're eaten.

Norm

ven

Flashaholic
yorkshire puddings............mmmmmmmmmmm yum yum

Scones with jam and clotted cream..........does that sound tasty to you guys or horrible :laughing:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Fanny. It does NOT mean bottom in the UK. Aluminium, dont know what this Aluminum stuff is?

ven

Flashaholic
Clotted cream (sometimes called clouted cream or Cornish cream) is a thick cream made by indirectly heating full-cream cow's milk using steam or a water bath and then leaving it in shallow pans to cool slowly. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots' or 'clouts'.[1] It forms an essential part of a cream tea.

Thanks wiki

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who was it that said "consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds"? :)

Yeah, there's no consistency, but there are plenty of precedents for inconsistency in the English language.

I did follow the link that you provided and clicked on the Al box on the table. The link had this text:
"Aluminum was the original name given to the element by Humphry Davy but others called it aluminum and that became the accepted name in Europe. However, in the USA the preferred name was aluminum and when the American Chemical Society debated on the issue, in 1925, it decided to stick with aluminum."
I think there was supposed to be an "aluminium" in there somewhere....

And speaking of local dialects of English, I've been watching EEVblog videos and find myself scratching my head now and then, trying to figure out some of Dave Jone's Aussie phrases. If anyone hasn't seen his video blog and is a 'tronics hobbyist, you should...
http://www.eevblog.com/