Does the US military still use Surefire

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Just a quick question here but is the US military still using Surefire torches or is it something different now. I would of thought that they would of also used Foursevens since that's also a US company.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't know but I'd say military units that were purchasing stocks of flashlights, would still be buying Surefire as there is little else out there that matches their rugged design, reliability, and customer service.

Foursevens are definitely very good lights but not comparable to Surefire and the fact that Foursevens are a US-based company does not automatically make it ideal for military stock procurement - their lights are still made in China anyway! Aside from brightness and UI customizability, I don't think they are even close in matching Surefire quality.

If you search around there are threads about the use of flashlights in the military.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note: the US military does not exclusively use Surefire lights. You can find all sorts of lights, ranging from x2 AA incan Mini-maglites to top-of-the-line Surefire weaponlights.

There is not a single, standard issue flashlight. The closest might be the Fulton Anglehead you buy in BCT, but I never saw anyone use one after BCT/AIT.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Other brands I might expect to see in use in the US military include HDS, Malkoff, and Elzetta (assuming American-made lights would be preferable). I would probably recommend the latter two for weapon lights, or perhaps something from Armytek.

MBentz

Enlightened
Brands I saw during my enlistment included SureFire, Streamlight, Gerber and Maglite. When it came to being mounted on a weapon, it was a SureFire. When it came to actually being issued by the U.S. Army, it was a SureFire. That was my experience.

Streamlight, Gerber and Maglite were both sold in PX for personal use.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
I think flashlights/weaponlights purchased buy .mil have to be Berry Amendment compliant, right?

Other than Surefire, who else qualifies?

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our Air Force Base purchases Surefires. Our Active Duty flying unit just bought new 6PXs and the maintenance squadron buys U2s.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd heard that the Marines had approved Novatacs, but it wasn't a "general issue" item.

The Berry-compliant issue is a good question, as not many flashlights are fully assembled in the US. Surefire and Maglite are - I don't know about Streamlight. And Pentagon Lights got sued out of business over it.

For the civilians reading the thread, individual units can buy equipment and issue it to its members, but that doesn't make it a general issue item. For example, everyone gets a pair of boots issued - not everyone gets a flashlight issued when they come in.

JeremyS

Newly Enlightened
I'm a contracting officer for the Navy. While my command does not typically purchase flashlights, I can tell you the Berry Act and Buy American Act would apply. The Buy American Act is the bigger issue. The BAA requires (1) the end product must be manufactured in the U.S. and (2) the cost of all its domestically manufactured components must exceed 50% of the cost of all its components. However, if the purchase is below the micro purchase threshold ($3,000) then the BAA does not apply. One can also get a waiver in emergencies, or if there is not sufficient domestic sources, etc. Lots of loop-holes, as with any law. Some countries have free trade agreements with the US that allow them to compete without restrictions. Nevertheless, the BAA is why you see "This item qualifies under the Buy American Act" on the bottom of many Surefire boxes.

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
The only guys I ever see that use flash lights are airforce. Everyone else uses headlamps. These very from black diamond, petzl and energizers. As a weapon mounted light I was issued an Insight but we all call them Surefires (even know they're not)

For the record we don't even use light in the field on any exercises as you always try and maintain light disciple, that goes for red light also. Its simple really, you use light and your more likely to be scene by enemy. I rely on my NVG's and good old night adapted vision like anyone in a combat trade.

Last edited:

gsr

Enlightened
I've seen Pelicans of various types, First Light USA Tomahawk NV, Petzl headlamps, and Surefire weaponlights in various supply rooms. For the most part, personal items like flashlights, wrist watches, pocket knives , and multi tools are up to the individual to buy with their own money. These types of items are certianly available in the supply system, but few units have the budget, or are willing to use their budget, to provide their members with them. Most units won't even buy Fultons or Maglites.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh. The only flashlights my unit had were the ones that went with road guard vests. A couple of my guys had mini-Mags. And then there was me.

MBentz

Enlightened
The only guys I ever see that use flash lights are airforce. Everyone else uses headlamps. These very from black diamond, petzl and energizers. As a weapon mounted light I was issued an Insight but we all call them Surefires (even know they're not)

For the record we don't even use light in the field on any exercises as you always try and maintain light disciple, that goes for red light also. Its simple really, you use light and your more likely to be scene by enemy. I rely on my NVG's and good old night adapted vision like anyone in a combat trade.

What unit are you in?

calviroman

Newly Enlightened
20+ years in the USAF (1993-current and counting)...for handheld lights, in the 90's everybody was rocking 2AA mini-mags and 2D Mags. Early 2000's started to see some 6P's. Now its pretty hodgepodge...still see lots of beat up old Mags, lots of worn 6P's, and mostly just random stuff. I EDC'd a 2AA Mini-Mag with a Terralux MiniStar2 Extreme drop in and aftermarket clicky tailcap in Iraq (not issued). There is no "standard" light...just whatever the unit purchases at the time. Nowadays, at work I EDC a 6P w/ Malkoff M61 drop in.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd heard that the Marines had approved Novatacs, but it wasn't a "general issue" item.

The Berry-compliant issue is a good question, as not many flashlights are fully assembled in the US. Surefire and Maglite are - I don't know about Streamlight. And Pentagon Lights got sued out of business over it.

Not quite. SureFire sued them with that issue as one of the two main ones. (The other being patent infringement.)

PentagonLights wasn't found guilty of anything. The company ultimately went out of business because SureFire's lawyers knew how to use the legal system to their advantage. Convincing the judge to grant an injunction on the patent infringement issue despite P.L. not having been found guilty of doing anything wrong, so that P.L. couldn't legally sell anymore lights; thus couldn't make any more money. No money to pay their attorneys. No money left to fight the lawsuit. P.L. was forced to shut its doors. SureFire used the system the way a guy named "John" would use a "working girl." P.L. wasn't found guilty of anything. Not patent infringement, and certainly not about being a non-American flashlight maker. SureFire didn't win their lawsuit. Didn't prove their accusations to be true. P.L. after awhile just literally couldn't afford to defend themselves against the lawsuit.

As for Streamlight, the more time that passes; the more their lights are Made in China.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Not quite. SureFire sued them with that issue as one of the two main ones. (The other being patent infringement.)

PentagonLights wasn't found guilty of anything. The company ultimately went out of business because SureFire's lawyers knew how to use the legal system to their advantage. Convincing the judge to grant an injunction on the patent infringement issue despite P.L. not having been found guilty of doing anything wrong, so that P.L. couldn't legally sell anymore lights; thus couldn't make any more money. No money to pay their attorneys. No money left to fight the lawsuit. P.L. was forced to shut its doors. SureFire used the system the way a guy named "John" would use a "working girl." P.L. wasn't found guilty of anything. Not patent infringement, and certainly not about being a non-American flashlight maker. SureFire didn't win their lawsuit. Didn't prove their accusations to be true. P.L. after awhile just literally couldn't afford to defend themselves against the lawsuit.

As for Streamlight, the more time that passes; the more their lights are Made in China.

To get a permanent injunction, you have to win your suit, as well as prove that monetary damages are inadequate compensation.

To get a preliminary injunction, you have to show irreparable harm + likelihood of success on the merits of the suit. The preliminary injunction hearing is much like a full blown trial, where the plaintiff has to prove their case, done within a very short time frame.

The only other way to get an injunction is as part of a settlement agreement, which means the defendant has to agree to it.