Surefire Titan Tail Stand

Phredd

Enlightened
When I first got my first Titans, I machined the tail caps to so they would tail stand. I just bought a couple more T1A's before they disappeared. I don't have access to a lathe anymore, but 3D printing is the next best thing. I made a tail stand that clips onto the Titan T1A tailcap.

54y3.png

It works well. I still need to make a couple tweaks. There's a small gap (.04) when it snaps in, it needs to be a little wider and the nubs get sheared a little each time it's pressed on to the Titan.

twmr.jpg

I made this at Shapeways for about $5. If there's any interest, I'll make it public after it's perfected.

MBentz

Enlightened
Interesting idea, but isn't the purpose of the Titan to be on a keychain? Meaning it was never intended to tail stand?

Phredd

Enlightened
Interesting idea, but isn't the purpose of the Titan to be on a keychain? Meaning it was never intended to tail stand?

That certainly was the intention. Some people want it to tail stand anyway. I would never carry this on my keychain. It's huge! But with this cap, you can do both. Just take it off your keychain and snap on the cap.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

lol IDGAF what was intended! Keep doing what you're doing phredd!

Phredd

Enlightened
lol IDGAF what was intended! Keep doing what you're doing phredd!

When I'm not carrying mine, it's tail standing. It's a great light and when it's pointing at the ceiling the whole room is nicely lit. I wish I could machine my new Titans, but I'm also a bit addicted to 3D printing, so this is just another opportunity.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is the perfect light....except it can't tailstand! Congrats on solving the problem, beautiful :thumbsup:

PM incoming!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I encountered some flickering issues with my Mako and I had the old trusty T1A on my keychain to replace the Mako. Nah... Did not work for me. The T1A is just too huge and bulky for keychain carry. Thankfully, and surprisingly, the issue with the Mako rectified itself after I forcefully trashed the Mako on my desk in frustration when it lost the low output as well, and so back the Mako went on my keychain.

As for the T1A, I like your idea, but it would be even greater if you had made a flat tail cap to replace the original tail cap.

Phredd

Enlightened
It is the perfect light....except it can't tailstand! Congrats on solving the problem, beautiful :thumbsup:

PM incoming!

Thanks. I got your PM, but I think it's better I respond here so everyone understands how they can get one. I post my design on Shapeways. After a couple weeks or more, I get my part. Once I'm satisfied with it, I'll make the design public and then everyone who wants one can just go to Shapeways.

I think that's the neatest way. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to collect names, addresses, payments, then order and then prepare shipping labels, stuff envelopes and track each order. If someone else wants to do that they can start a group buy and post a link to that thread, but I don't think there's much benefit. And that way takes much, much longer than ordering yourself. Shapeways only charges about $5 for each tail cap stand.

I'll post an update when I revise the design and when I'm satisfied that it's ready for everyone to order.

Phredd

Enlightened
As for the T1A, I like your idea, but it would be even greater if you had made a flat tail cap to replace the original tail cap.

I would certainly try that. It would be much more expensive, especially for me if I have to go through two or three iterations. It would need to be a conductive material. And I would have to guess at the threads unless someone knows. Surefire wouldn't tell me.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took a film canister and drilled and sanded to fit the T1A diameter and then had it tailstanding nicely.

Then I did another with a clear canister and now have a combo-diffuser-tailstand in one.

Works great in both modes,we had power out last week for a few days and the T1A is a great little lamp for that.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would certainly try that. It would be much more expensive, especially for me if I have to go through two or three iterations. It would need to be a conductive material. And I would have to guess at the threads unless someone knows. Surefire wouldn't tell me.

lol WOW. It's not like they have a successor to the titan that tailstands.

Phredd

Enlightened
I just took a film canister and drilled and sanded to fit the T1A diameter and then had it tailstanding nicely.

Then I did another with a clear canister and now have a combo-diffuser-tailstand in one.

Works great in both modes,we had power out last week for a few days and the T1A is a great little lamp for that.

Sounds like a good quick fix. Can you post a photo? It must be getting harder to find film canisters...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck - if you want a cheap un-elegant solution go to the Home Depot plumbing department and get some foam surround for 5/8 copper pipe and it will make the light stand.

I like elegant solutions and the ability to put the light in my pocket still with the tailstand attached.

Having ground down, smoothed and enamel painted a few T1A tailcaps over the years I would say that having a removable solution is desirable.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I threw a question out to Tom and Dan to see if they would be interested in making a Delrin tailstanding shroud. Something that may support using a small clip as well. I think that would be a neat option as well.