Replacing older LED's with new

Velcro

Enlightened
Replacing older LED\'s with new

I have an older bicycle taillight of which I want to replace the LED's with something brighter. It currently has three 5mm LED's and I was thinking of sticking red 6500mcd or 8000mcd types in there. Since I'm not really a LED expert, allow me to ask some silly questions before messing up my light.

First, if I replace the LED's with much brighter ones, is there something else I have to do except soldering? Secondly, where or how can I get some really good LED's for a low price? And no, I'm not going to order from Conrad because they charge E2,20 for one 6500mcd LED with E9.00 shipping, whereas a 8000mcd LED only costs $0.60 from Superbrightleds.com. Don't know about shipping though.

Talking about Superbrightleds.com, that 8000mcd offering really sounds like a bargain to me. It has a 30° angle. Is there anything better then that? Anyone know about their shipping costs? Do they ship international? Thanks in advance.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
Re: Replacing older LED\'s with new

The 8000mcd red LEds from superbrightleds.com are indeed extremely bright, I never saw a brighter red 5mm LED:)
Shipping to Belgium was 5 dollars.....cheap and very quick service!!

Velcro

Enlightened

Thanks for the info, Wim.
Can you tell me something about the beam quality?
Also, if you choose their $5 letter post shipping, do they put some padding in the envelope? Just wondering.

JollyRoger

Enlightened

I haven't seen or used these, but my guess is that you don't really have to worry about the beam quality. The output is great, and as long as the light gets out in the direction it's meant to go, who cares about the beam quality, right? I doubt you would shine the tail light on the wall to see how pretty the beam is. Were you meaning to ask about the beam angle?

In my experience, even cheap red led's are still very noticeable, so these bright red ones should be great (angle shouldn't matter too much, but try to get the widest one available...)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Velcro

Enlightened

JR, my white LED front light has a completely round beam so I was wondering if those red LED's look the same by any chance. Not that it would matter if they don't, just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Artar, thanks for the link! Looks good. Have you ordered from them?

artar

Enlightened

No i never ordered from them but had some questions about LED two weeks ago and the owner replied my mails within hours.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened

*The beam quality is excellent: perfectly round and NO rings!
*Yes, they put padding in the envelope and every LED was packed in a seperate, sealed bag with a color printed sticker.
Bad news: I just saw there´s a 25 dollar min. order for international customers...:(
*Good news. I found a superb new LED site: www.dotlight.de
Nichia, luxeons and other LEDs at very good prices!

Sorry voor het late antwoord,
wim