The NEW New Malkoff 1600 Lumen Wildcat - beam shots added!!

Are you going to buy, or have you already bought one of the new Wildcats?

• Yes, I'll buy/have bought the new 5000K Wildcat

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • Yes, I'll buy/have bought the new Warm, High CRI 2700K Wildcat

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Heck, I'm going to buy/have bought both!

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I'm going to stick with my previous version Wildcat

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note - I made a mistake on the poll - the high CRI uses a 3000k emitter; not a 2700k. Sorry, Gene!!!

I haven't been this excited about a light since my 6V, 1.4A high CRI Haiku...

The New Wildcat (HERE) has the MTG2 emitter and has been discussed quite a bit in funkymonkey1111's original 'new' thread that was started over HERE just shy of 2 years ago.

I thought maybe it was time to honor the Malkoff Wildcat with yet another new thread! Mine was shipped yesterday and due to arrive tomorrow. After what I've heard about this MTG2 5000k emitter, I can't wait. 1600 creamy, floody lumens...

:D :devil: :twothumbs :crazy:

Okay, folks. I pulled a few beam shots of some well known lights and added a couple shots from the Wildcat. :eek:

Daylight control - the 'blob' in the foreground is Heidi, my 10 year old Sheltie pup - the beneficiary of these cool 'walking lights.' And yes, that's 'new' sod - I had my yard landscaped (and a cool irrigation system installed) about a month ago...

Night time - a bit of light pollution

Here's my FAVORITE EDC, the Haiku high CRI with 119V (Don's nomenclature) on HIGH. The color rendition from this light is just extraordinary. That IS the color of my storage building's roof!

McGizmo High CRI 6V Haiku (119V emitter) driven at ~1.4A

Here's a McGizmo AquaRam driven at the stock level 4 (sorry for the light pollution - my wife turned on the bedroom light!)

Level 4

Now let's look at the new Wildcat MTG2 - on low

Now brace yourself. All the settings are the same. Same scene - 4 months later - yard is somewhat soaked from the rain. I'm gonna hafta increase the shutter speed!

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Re: The NEW New Malkoff 1600 Lumen Wildcat

In my best Daniel Bryan voice:

"YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!!"

Mine will be here tomorrow as well. :D

Cheers Dan, TGIF!!!

scout24

Flashaholic

Waiting for "back in stock..." :) 5000k will be on the way soon hopefully!

callmaster

Enlightened

I'm not getting one. I'm not looking for a floody light at the moment.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want to see some beamshots first.
I like floody, but I need some reach. The text on Gene's site for the new WC says "will easily light objects at 150 feet". The old WC said 450 feet. That's quite a difference.
I normally have a minimum reach requirement of 150 yards, which the old WC could do.
This one is more like 50 yards. I have to see the photos of how it appears in use, to see if I think it's something that I can use.

In any case, I would only be interested in the 5000k model.
I would never buy anything at 2700k.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interested in this light. I'll get it with an MD4 body and run it on 2X18650. The neutral 5000k hits my sweet spot.

I have a Prometheus Ready-Made and the MCE emitter and Ledil boom reflector are a magical combination. I can only imagine how great the MTG2 and Ledil reflector combination will be.

Last edited:

callmaster

Enlightened

I have a very floody light, 3 x MCE and I think that'll do for now. But I am interested in beam shots :)

Tracker II

Enlightened

I'm going to pass on the new WC for now as the old one is perfect for me. The old one:

1. Has a bit of throw to it (which I need for my property) and yet still has impressive flood.
2. Runs on an 18650 in an MD2. This not only has a coolness factor look-wise, but provides a lower low which I find infinitely more useful.
3. Has a diffuser lens. Ahhh, a light that I don't have to get paranoid about getting some dust or minor scratches on as it doesn't show at all.

I will never ever part with my "old" Widcat and will wait to see upcoming reviews on the new one before buying. I sure hope its a winner and I'm sure it will meet other peoples needs.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

I might need one to go with my V1.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer neutral/warm tint and would get the HCRI model if the loss of brightness was not that huge compared to the cooler tinted model. 5000K is still to consider as neutral so I will propably get this one.
It's obvious this latest Wildcat is very floody and I think I will like it. The beam character should be something similar to Malkoff M91 dropin I guess, and I love my M91W: awesome for indoors and short distances. Imaging M91 but 3 times brighter feels really nice. Looking forward for some beamshot!

Last edited:

romteb

Enlightened

I want to see some beamshots first.
I like floody, but I need some reach. The text on Gene's site for the new WC says "will easily light objects at 150 feet".

The new one is specified at 2900+ lux at one meter, that is extremely floody, one doesn't get throw with a MTG2 (furthermore driven conservatively) in a relatively small orange peel reflector.

2900 lux at one meter gives a 107 meters ANSI/NEMA FL-1 throw, wich is not much meaningfull cause it is calculated for a 0,25 lux intensity, wich is very dim, a more usefull 1 lux intensity will be obtained around 50 yards indeed.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I had a V4 Neutral WC. The throw was good but the flood could have been greater IMO.

This WC is going to be unlike anything in my collection which was my main deciding factor on buying it.

It is a gas guzzler too at only one hour fifteen minutes on 2x3400's. :eek:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NEW New Malkoff 1600 Lumen Wildcat

Well it arrived. :D. Man, that emitter is HUGE!! Dropped 2 old, tired AW 18650 cells - voltage level uknown as I was too excited to check. 1500 lumen in my sphere. Here's a crappy iPhone photo of the head next to a thrunite ti.

tu3e5u4a.jpg

Machete God

Enlightened

Am anxious to see beam shots! The V4 had a beam -a throwy swath of light- like nothing in all of flashlightdom, IMHO. My NW and CW V4 Wildcats are among my favourites, but am also pretty excited to see what the V5 offers. run4jc can you go and stand outside and wait for darkness to fall so that no time is wasted before you can get us beam shots :D

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks pretty cool, that emitter is huge.