LED Lenser M7R + AW 3200 18650 battery

ledGEEK

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I hope you're all well.

I'm having a little problem with my LED Lenser M7R and was hoping one of you could help me. I've been using it a lot as I do night security but I wanted to upgrade the standard battery that comes with it (2200 MAh) to the AW 3200 Mah 18650 battery for longer duration. I have fully charged the AW's batteries but for some reason when I use them in the torch, they do not work but they work on other torches that I have.

Do you know why this could be happening and if this issue could be resolved?

Kind regards

G

ven

Flashaholic
As long as the volts are the same,your increasing the mah so longer run times............

Is it a different cell type,button top for example,different length as do vary,are contacts different .............example is the new olight r40 which runs a 26650 but its a "special type" with a different base........

ven

Flashaholic
Also regarding length,the lenser may be 65mm unprotected and rely on light to turn of for example at 3.0v,protected as you know add 3-4mm on length.........just thoughts

ledGEEK

Newly Enlightened
As long as the volts are the same,your increasing the mah so longer run times............

Is it a different cell type,button top for example,different length as do vary,are contacts different .............example is the new olight r40 which runs a 26650 but its a "special type" with a different base........

I noticed the default battery is 3.7v and the AW battery is 3.6v, I've linked 2 pictures of them below. Could this be the problem?

quusmD1.jpg
Ts5ty9o.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Maybe the 3 pins on the neg end of cell are,iirc it has caused issues in other lights,have you another cell to try?

Are they both unprotected or more to point same size?

Some again iirc carefully remove the little pins on base.......just a thought but i think that could be issue

ven

Flashaholic
Also looking again the tops are different,the aw is sunk in,so better for specific lights,the standard cell although a flat top is pronounced in comparison,may not be making contact..

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery cradle in the Led Lenser lights rely on the positive side of the battery making contact with a contact plate.
The AW batteries missing the "Button" don't complete the circuit.

Try the Nitecore NL188 (3100 mAh) or NL189 (mAh) for a longer lasting battery. They're long enough and have a button on the end to make contact in the cradle.

ledGEEK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help guys. I have tried the battery in a different LED light and it works fine so I think it is indeed the battery cradle in the LED Lenser. Could I damage the battery if I remove those pins?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The three pin points on the negative side shouldn't cause you any issues.
Grinding them off however may.
Usually the negative side makes contact with a coiled spring, so unless you have reason to believe its a problem, i'd leave it alone.

On a side note, I purchased some UltraFire batteries off a popular auction site. They have a button on the positive terminal, but are 3mm to short to work in most of my lights using 18650 batteries.

ven

Flashaholic
The ultra fire don't have protection ,hence why 3-4mm shorter and are also not good cells(in general).

As said I think it's the too of the cell not making contact.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
A simple and cheap solution to contact issues may be to use a magnetic spacer. Just stick it onto the end of the battery that doesn't make contact and it should help mimic a button-top battery to complete the circuit.

ledGEEK

Newly Enlightened
Interesting.. I could try this and see if this works. Do you know where I could purchase one?

bgm307

Newly Enlightened
Interesting.. I could try this and see if this works. Do you know where I could purchase one?

Amazon has them. You will have to buy several. Just search neodymium magnets. It looks to me like those batteries are just about the same length. If they are, I'd get the 1/16 inch.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven, Cut the shrink wrap off of one of the Ultra Fire 18650 4000 mAh batteries and found that they do have a protection circuit in them. Also the outside of the battery claims that the circuit is there.

For now, I've got a 8mmx3mm thick magnet on the negative side to test the batteries in a TM15 Nitecore light and will report back how they fair during testing.

ven

Flashaholic
The trouble is you can buy some more ultrafire cells and they wont be protected even though advertised as.Also 4000mah does not exist too so that is a false marketing claim.

The tm15 is a great light(i have one) it deserves decent food,i have bought keeppowers and pany 3400 protected cells for around $8 each or £5 in my money(give or take £1)

Also if the claim of 4000mah is false(it is) how good is the protection circuit,i would have no confidence at all in them,just my opinion/advice.

I do have some fire cells,ones with actual fire on the side,18340 cells,and been fine,not protected though and not used in flashlights.

So its a 50/50 gamble at best,just imho dont risk it:thumbsup:

My tm15 is either xtar protected fed or sanyo protected fed,pic shows xtar

Great cells tbh and will probably be panasonic inside(or sanyo)