Modify Nitecore P12 tailcap?

ghentry

Newly Enlightened
I recently took a class on using a tactical flashlight while shooting. I found that the U shaped tailcap caused a problem activating the button (some techniques use the knuckle or palm to activate the light).

Has anyone here replaced the tailcap or removed the "ears"?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
P12 is not a tactical light in the first place so don't bother doing it

it's got memory so unless you're some kind of freak you will forget to leave it memorized at your desired mode

get a proper flashlight first

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

it's got memory so unless you're some kind of freak you will forget to leave it memorized at your desired mode

Suggestions?

ghentry

Newly Enlightened
Then I must be a freak, because it has worked well for my needs thus far. Before I start on duty, I make sure it is set as I need it.

If anyone else has any suggestion as to a replacement tailcap or how to modify the existing one, I would appreciate it.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Permanently removing the ears on the P12 doesn't look that hard.

1. Unscrew the tailcap from the light.
2. Remove the switch mechanism: I don't have the P12, but from the pictures it looks fairly standard. There should be a retaining ring on the inside of the tailcap around the spring that has 2 little holes in it. Insert something into those holes and turn to unscrew the retaining ring. You can use needle-nosed pliers, or snap ring pliers. If you don't have those, bend a large paperclick so the ends sit in the holes and then use long-nosed pliers as a wrench to turn the paperclip. Once the retaining ring is removed push down on the switch boot to push out all the internal switch mechanism. You should be left with just the metal tailcap with nothing in it.
3. Put the tailcap in a vise, take a hacksaw and saw off the ears. then use a file to soften the sharp edges.
4. Reassemble the switch mechanism.

Be warned that if you do this, the light will no longer tailstand so can no longer be used as a candle.

Suggestions for a proper tactical light? I don't have one so I'll have to leave that to others. My understanding is that it is best to have a light without mode memory or that has a shortcut so will always come on in max power. I've also seen suggested that the light only have a momentary mode so only turns on while the button is held down.... That way the user can briefly turn on the flashlight to illuminate a target, then release the button and immediately change position.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Certainly good advice. The stress can mess you up, trying to remember how to do what you want. Seems like it would be easy to change light level for another task and get distracted, then you have an immediate need for full on....

That said, if you want to use the P12, it is your decision alone. I love mine and like the 'hold level change button for strobe' but do not consider it a tactical torch.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once they release their P20 you could check out whether it has the same threads: most Nitecore lights have interchangeable. For example my MT2C tailcap is identical to the tailcap on the MT25/26 which I suspect is identical to the P12, P25, P26 tailcaps too. The P20 switch probably won't allow changing modes but I guess for on/off it should work. I don't know how easy it is to purchase spare Nitecore tailcaps though.

Croquette

Enlightened
Don't know if it can help but the solarforce tailcaps work well on the mh2c. Maybe on the p12 too.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if it can help but the solarforce tailcaps work well on the mh2c. Maybe on the p12 too.

Thank you Croquette! Yes, my 3amp rated forward clicky tailcap works just fine on my Nitecore P12! Good to know. I got my L2P Solarforce host from CustomLites but I am sure tail caps can be procured elsewhere.