olight m22 warrior/fenixtk61

GillBates

Newly Enlightened
The olight m22 has 950 lumens and throws about 305meters.
The fenix tk61 has 1000 lumens and throws over 800 meters.

Does 50 lumens make that big of difference? I looked around on the forums but couldn't really find anything that explained it clearly. Maybe I'm just over thinking.

Can someone please explain this to me like I'm 5?

KQL

Newly Enlightened
No personal experience with these 2 lights, but in general:

The size and texture of the reflector have a huge impact on throw. A deep reflector will throw more than a shallow reflector. A smooth reflector will throw more than a textured one. These are both XM-L2 lights, so the emitter size is the same, but in other situations, a smaller emitter will throw further than a larger emitter in the same reflector.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I have both lights. Actually my TK61 is modded. Anyway, they are Two completely different lights. Just look at the size difference, amount of Batteries[power]. Of course the huge reflector size, depth and size of the head.

It is how the lumens are used that can confuse people. They are either used in equal parts for throw and spill[flood] or used in one direction more than another.

Example: I have a TN31mb[modded light] that has only 800 lumens and throws over 1300 meters!!! That was hard for me to understand but shows that lumens have very little to do with throw!

There is a thread on here started by "teej" where he explains it perfectly,way better than I can!!

I think it is called Lumens and lux,,,google his name and that title and you should find it on here!:grin2:

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
An Olight M22 and a Fenix TK61 serve two completely different purposes. By todays standard, 50 lumens once pass 400 or so lumens does not make an appreciable difference. The TK61 puts light further down range than the M22 because of the massive reflector it uses. The M22 can fit in your pocket. If you try to put the TK61 in your pocket, you may illicit some interesting comments and lots of staring.

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha! Is that a TK61 in your pocket or, are you just happy to see me?:naughty:

An Olight M22 and a Fenix TK61 serve two completely different purposes. By todays standard, 50 lumens once pass 400 or so lumens does not make an appreciable difference. The TK61 puts light further down range than the M22 because of the massive reflector it uses. The M22 can fit in your pocket. If you try to put the TK61 in your pocket, you may illicit some interesting comments and lots of staring.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes as said its not the lumens alone,its size of reflector and depth..............i will take my 4400lm from my tk75vn before the 1700lm of my tk61vn in the eye.......... if had to pick :laughing: