Cree CXA1304 series - interesting little LEDs

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree XLamp CXA1304 series LED arrays.

I didn't know these existed. I've been looking for an inexpensive COB LED solution for some projects.
They are smaller than you might think, only ~1/2" square ceramic board.

Here is a size comparison next to a 5mm and star type Bridgelux LED.
cxa1304.jpg

Cree spec'd the LED at 85 Deg C case temperature so you get the output, lumen maintenance and color in actual use. You can select the color temp you want (2700, 3000, 3500, 4000, 5000) and even CRI (70 to over 93). They are available in 9, 18 and 37 voltages. Prices start at $2.60 at a certain supplier (starts with M :)). High CRI versions are more expensive.

At higher drive currents, you can get ~800 lumens depending on the LED and reach 40,000hrs life.

I bought several and plan to use them in my outdoor security lighting and make lanterns with them.

A good product if you want to roll you own lighting projects.

jason 77

Enlightened
Definitely a nice selection of little COB LEDs I really like the high CRI offerings! On a side note, I hadn't been to that website in a while. It is cool how they let you sort by CRI.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I tried the 5000K 90 CRI version. Very nice. They look like artificial sunlight. I can see lots of future uses for the CXA arrays in general. The higher CCT, 70 and 80 CRI versions offer efficiencies in excess of 120 lm/W.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just installed a couple in a lantern and in the car dome light. They are the 4000K 80 CRI version. I'm impressed! I bought a couple of the 5000K 70 CRI version for outside security lighting where color quality is less important. They are rated 475 lumen at 3.6 watts which is 132 lm/w at 85C, the highest efficacy I could find.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some nicely priced, 90+ CRI CoB modules recently. Nichia NSBLL066A and NSBLL121A, both warm white, max. ~20W and 40W respectively. The number in these types refers to the actual # of LEDs included btw, at a low output level you can actually count these! Probably it's strings of 11 LEDs in series (-> around 30 to 33V operating voltage), with 6 or 11 of these strings in parallel for each type.

Had the 20W one up to full power, and the 40W one up to ~30W. Both light output & tint are very good imho. The 20W one is meant to go in a diy project to replace a halogen desk lamp, most likely I'll drive it way below its max. The 40W one is meant for some sort of wall light, I'm still thinking about that light's mechanical/optical design. :thinking:

Good cooling is a must for these high powered CoB modules! Indeed they're quite small for the amount of power they can handle. The 40W one I have, is just 19x16 mm (ceramic substrate). For highest efficiency, get a (physically) larger one than needed, and drive it below max. That way it's easier to cool, and thus runs more efficient. As opposed to a tiny square that runs hot even if mounted on a good cooler.