Anyone have the new Klarus XT2C L2 U2?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have this light yet? I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it since the XT2C seems to be pretty popular. 725 lumens with good (maybe too good) runtime. I'd love to hear people's impressions if anyone has it yet. Thanks!!

kj2

Flashaholic
Was looking at this light, but I already have the PD35, so the need isn't that high at the moment.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus don't send lights for reviews and don't answer questions about their lights - that somewhat impacts their popularity even if the lights themselves may be well designed.

kj2

Flashaholic
Klarus don't send lights for reviews and don't answer questions about their lights - that somewhat impacts their popularity even if the lights themselves may be well designed.

I emailed their CS yesterday, and got a responds within 2 hours.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am new to flashlights and I've already had a few issues with their lights but I am still interested. I love the looks and the interface. Sounds like folks that have gotten good ones are very happy. I'm trying to keep my urge to buy lights under control but it's freakin tough!

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I am carrying the 580 lumen version of the XT2C as I type this, and I like the light every much. The user interface is the best I have seen for the purpose of this light, and the ability to use 18650 means I can use the light as much as I want without worrying about cost. Outdoors, I can illuminate areas that are quite some distance away. My light has survived some unintentional drop tests onto various surfaces, including concrete, from 3 feet without issues. Runtime using CR123 is considerably shorter, so anyone getting one of these lights should definitely plan on using 18650.

There has been some discussion about how Klarus could have managed an increase in output with even a bigger increase in run time with just a change to a later generation of the same LED. It is entirely possible that they were able to use a higher capacity 18650 to get those numbers. I would love to see an output v. runtime graph for the high setting, and would likely upgrade to this light if it has a reasonably flat and horizontal curve.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply! Yea I was thinking about that version if I couldn't find anyone with the new one. Are you getting the stated runtimes on your light that klarus claims? I would be using one with an Eagletac 3400 18650. As far as I know that's the highest capacity going right now. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed their CS yesterday, and got a responds within 2 hours.
They must like you more than the like me then!

There has been some discussion about how Klarus could have managed an increase in output with even a bigger increase in run time with just a change to a later generation of the same LED. It is entirely possible that they were able to use a higher capacity 18650 to get those numbers.

For their XM-L2 U2 version they used a 3100 mAh. For their XM-L U2 version IIRC it was 2900 mAh 18650: they took the page down but I think they include this information in the user manual - I'll check later.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another question, is the difference between 580 and 725 very noticeable to the eye?? I had an xt11 800 lumen version that I had to send back and I currently have a PD32 G2 which is 340 lumens. Just not sure how big of a jump 580 to 725 is to the eye.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 580 and 470 lumen versions and I can see the 580 being brighter but the difference isn't that big. Also consider that these lights step down but you are unlikely to keep using the light continuously so you are probably going to switch it on and off and then on again - when using the light in this fashion, the less bright models will give you a better run-time. If you find the 580 much cheaper, I'd go with it. If the price is the same, I'd go with the newer XM-L2.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is probably what I will do. I'm amazed nobody has the new version yet! I guess not a lot out there yet??

UnderPar

Enlightened
I think Klarus just released this model and we still have to see its review and feedbacks from new buyers.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there might be a few reasons. As I said earlier Klarus don't seem to submit their lights for review so, at least in part, this may impact their popularity.
Sellers might still have in stock the older models so they might not have ordered the new one yet.
Last but not the least: I have a feeling that those who buy the XT2C do it mostly for the practical UI. Most people seem to be beguiled by the latest and brightest and in that respect the PD35 and P12 have already been around for a while saturating the demand for lights in this category: the new XT2C would have probably gotten more attention if it had been released earlier and advertised better than with just a couple of banners and a mere announcement by potential buyers - without follow-up to questions - in the CPF marketplace.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply! Yea I was thinking about that version if I couldn't find anyone with the new one. Are you getting the stated runtimes on your light that klarus claims? I would be using one with an Eagletac 3400 18650. As far as I know that's the highest capacity going right now. Thanks again!

I have never done an actual runtime test and do not have any good way to measure lumens, so any test I did would be of questionable value. What I can tell you is that, when I first got the light, I did not yet own any Li-Ion primaries, so I ran it on CR123. I do not feel like I used the light that much when I found the batteries dead. The first set of CR123 died the day before the 18650's I had ordered were supposed to arrive, so I waited for them, charged them, and put one in. I am now using the light a bit more often, still not much, and have only taken the first 18650 down to 4.07 v. Based on my experience, I suspect that I am getting the stated runtime with 18650, and something less than the stated runtime with CR123. Selfbuilt has reviewed other Klarus lights, and if I recall correctly, found the runtime on CR123 to be about 1/2 the stated runtime for 18650. Klarus does state the batteries used to obtain the stated times, and that using other cell types will affect runtimes.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I guess I would be considering this light as one I would take if I knew I was going to be out at night in areas I'm not used to or comfortable in. Hence wanting the tactical ui. For that purpose I suppose runtime isn't a huge issue. Here is where I am with lights. Fenix e01 for an always with me light and chapstick diffuser for bathroom trips and what not. Fenix LD12 g2 (which I have no issues with) for an around the house light. This little light is great and came in very handy the other day working on some electrical when the power was turned off. And last but not least the PD32 G2 for camping and whenever longer runtimes and more light is needed. Love all 3 of them and thanks to the research I did on CPF I'm very happy with my choices. Now I feel like if I had something a bit more tactical I would be set. Tried a couple XT11s but I couldn't get a good one.

Last edited:

Javora

Enlightened
If I could somehow place the head of a PD35 or TN12 on a Klarus with the dual switch tail cap I would have done it a long time ago.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually prefer the beam pattern from Klarus' orange peel reflectors as opposed to the very tight defined circle of the Fenix lights that I have. But I'm sure everyone has a mutant light in mind featuring parts from different manufacturers lights. I keep thinking that if Klarus let you choose and switch between tactical mode and memory mode, they would be tough to beat!

krprice84

Newly Enlightened
I actually prefer the beam pattern from Klarus' orange peel reflectors as opposed to the very tight defined circle of the Fenix lights that I have. But I'm sure everyone has a mutant light in mind featuring parts from different manufacturers lights. I keep thinking that if Klarus let you choose and switch between tactical mode and memory mode, they would be tough to beat!

How is quality in the Klarus brand? I'm used to surefire lights, own the lx2 which is left in the garage door opener section of my truck along with a small bottle of dog mace, have a p6x fury for around the house use, another one that I can't remember which is out in the garage on my tool belt usually, use it when working under my truck etc, then have a g2 (I think) stashed in my truck in case the lx2 somehow ended up broken or dead (also carry at least 4-8 spare cells in the truck).

I'm really looking to move away from the 123 cells and I use the 18500 lithium ion batteries in my e smoke so it would be great to be able to use the same chargers for both, plus if I could ever find a light that took the 18500 or preferably a pair of 18350 then I'd be in heaven. Just not so sure about warranty and quality. Not saying they are bad, just have been told by a local retailer they aren't lifetime and that if I busted the lens cover somehow that it likely wouldn't be covered. Of course the cost is much lower than surefire so that's nice.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Right now I'm looking for an edc with a tactical strobe function. Definitely don't mind having the strobe first on it or at least programmable that way. Personal safety of me and my daughter if we are somewhere less pleasant is primary over convenience.

Thanks!