What's your favourite pocket sized thrower?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan of all types of lights from flooders to throwers with tints from cool to warm but tend to have a bit of a preference for neutral to warm.
Recently I did my first basic mod, I replaced the cool XML in my Sunwayman T20CS with an XPG2 R5 3C and I'm finding that I like this light more than ever.
I lost a few lumens but not many and gained some throw and a much more pleasant tint.
The small single 18650 sized throwers are great little lights.
What's your favourite small thrower?

yowzer

Enlightened
I like old school - Surefire LX2 and E1B. My new Nitecore EC25W is becoming a favorite in the compact thrower category too.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grab my DBS with a XP-G, or a cut down Mag 2C (1x26650) deep reflector XM-L. Both could use a second generation LED, but they are more than adequate, and small enough to carry easily.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just saw the review of the Dereelight NM400 ... looks like one I'd like to try :)

For an even smaller (1xCR123A) thrower, I agree that the E1B is great.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current favorite pocket thrower is the one I modded last week and am currently EDC'ing.

It's a Rustu XL-03 from DealExtreme. This thing's tiny... it's a zoomable aspheric light about half the size of a Sipik SK68, but still large enough to hold a 14500.

The default light came with Cree XPE on paper thin aluminum star with a single-mode driver of maybe 500 mA output. I performed the following mods on it:

1. Replaced emitter with Cree XP-G2 neutral 5000k on Noctigon direct copper star (I had to file the edges of the 16mm Noctigon down to 14mm so it would fit.
2. Glued down the star with arctic alumina in the center and Antec 7 thermal compound at the edges. The original star had no thermal grease.
3. Replaced driver wire with silicone aug22.
4. Replaced driver with 3-mode (low-med-high) 3.04 amp Nanjg 105c. I had to file off the edges of the driver so it would fit at the bottom of the pill. I attached bits of copper solder braid to a few of the ground tabs on the 7135 chips for negative contact.
5. Replaced the 105c's positive contact spring with a small copper disk.
6. Replaced the tailcap switch with a leftover electronic switch mechanism I had leftover from a KuKu V10r switch kit.
7. Solder braided the tailcap spring.
8. Replaced switchboot with a black replacement Fenix one. Put filling in the boot to get the right pressure on the switch.
9. Added aluminum C-ring around top of pill so pill doesn't screw all the way down for better flood.
10. Filed down bottom of sliding bezel so it can retract further for even wider flood.
11. Added AS5 thermal compound around pill threads.

Result: A tiny zoomie that's half the size of a Sipik 68, with a super-wide flood mode (about twice as wide as a stock Sipik 68 and much brighter) ... and it can still cycle to a fairly tight and bright hotspot with decent throw. I run it on Kinoko 14500 IMR cells. Main downside is it gets hot FAST at max power.

Last edited:

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E35, small for a 18650 flashlight, nice runtime, decent throw (for its size).

And the new favorite is Eagletac T200C2, very good balance between flood and trow, extremely bright for its size !
I wished to have four modes, lets say 9 lumens - ~100 -~380 - max.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this $10, 'Philips' branded, 3AAA, cheapie that has the smallest led I've ever seen. It must be only 1/4 the size of an XP-C (surface area), and puts out roughly 50ish lumens on lithium primaries. It's in a 1 inch reflector and the light comes out like a laser beam.

At 10m the hotspot is only 25cm (10in) across. It's not bright, but it's amazing how far the light from this thing travels.

Capolini

Banned
I bought this $10, 'Philips' branded, 3AAA, cheapie that has the smallest led I've ever seen. It must be only 1/4 the size of an XP-C (surface area), and puts out roughly 50ish lumens on lithium primaries. It's in a 1 inch reflector and the light comes out like a laser beam.

At 10m the hotspot is only 25cm (10in) across. It's not bright, but it's amazing how far the light from this thing travels.

That sounds cool! How much "throw" do you get out of the little laser like torch?!

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
My two current latest throwers are a ThruNite T21 and a little NiteCore EC1. Both are great little Throwers.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love buying the store lights,great value for money.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds cool! How much "throw" do you get out of the little laser like torch?!

Philips micro thrower on left, E21 on right at maximum output. Distance to wall, 5m. The E21 spreads out much, much quicker than the Philips flashlight does. Like I said, it's not real bright, but it punches that light a long way because of it's tight focus.

The free lux meter on my iphone measured the Philips at 457lux @ 5m, and the E21 at 323lux at the same distance. Just to give an idea of relative throw.

image.jpg

Here's a size comparison of the Philips led to the E21's XP-E2. Notice the tiny, tiny, tiny surface area!
image-1.jpg

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Philips micro thrower on left, E21 on right at maximum output. Distance to wall, 5m. The E21 spreads out much, much quicker than the Philips flashlight does. Like I said, it's not real bright, but it punches that light a long way because of it's tight focus.

image.jpg

Here's a size comparison of the Philips led to the E21's XP-E2. Notice the tiny, tiny, tiny surface area!
image-1.jpg

Wow,,,,,LED looks about as small or smaller than my dedomed XPG2 OSTS TN31mb!!!